Modular Forms: A Textbook for University Physics Students

In summary, The conversation is about the topic of modular forms and the request for recommendations on textbooks about it. The person mentions being a physics student and their interest in this subject. They ask for an "accessible" textbook and inquire about the quality of a specific book. The other person recommends a more modern book, but also mentions a well-written and readable older book. They also mention that modular forms have applications in physics.
jqmhelios
I'm studying physics at university, but there has always been one subject in pure maths which always interested me- that is modular forms.
Is there an 'accessible' textbook on this topic? Can anyone recommend one? Is the GTM Springer 'A first course in modular forms' any good?

Physics news on Phys.org
I found the last chapter of Serre's a course in arithemtic very well written and readable.

Likes mathwonk
jqmhelios said:
I'm studying physics at university, but there has always been one subject in pure maths which always interested me- that is modular forms.
Perhaps you would like to know that modular forms have applications in physics, see e.g. https://arxiv.org/abs/2208.07242

Likes malawi_glenn

1. What are modular forms?

Modular forms are complex-valued functions that satisfy certain transformation properties under modular transformations. They are important in number theory and have applications in various fields of mathematics and physics.

2. How are modular forms used in physics?

Modular forms are used in physics to study the behavior of physical systems with discrete symmetries, such as crystals and quasicrystals. They also have applications in string theory and conformal field theory.

3. What is the level of difficulty of this textbook?

This textbook is designed for university physics students, so it assumes a strong background in mathematics and physics. However, it is written in a clear and accessible manner with many examples and exercises to aid understanding.

4. Are there any prerequisites for studying modular forms?

A basic understanding of complex analysis and linear algebra is necessary for studying modular forms. Some familiarity with abstract algebra and group theory may also be helpful.

5. Can this textbook be used for self-study?

Yes, this textbook can be used for self-study as it is self-contained and includes many examples and exercises for practice. However, it is recommended to have a solid understanding of the prerequisites before starting self-study.