Pisano Periods - Fibonacci Numbers mod p

by LDP
Tags: fibonacci, numbers, periods, pisano
Share this thread:
LDP
Feb3-13, 08:40 PM
PF Gold
P: 3
Let Fn be the nth number of a Fibonacci sequence.
We know that Fnmod(p) forms a periodic sequence (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pisano_period) called the Pisano Period.
Let p = a prime such that p[itex]\equiv[/itex]{2,3}mod 5 so that h(p)[itex]\mid[/itex] 2 p + 2.
Let h(p) denote of the length of the Pisano period.

If D = {d1,d2,d3[itex]\cdots[/itex]dk} is the non-empty set of k divisors of 2 p + 2
Then:
h(p) = min[di] such that Fd(i + 1)[itex]\equiv[/itex] 1 mod p
and
  1. di ~[itex]\mid[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] p (p + 1)
  2. di ~[itex]\mid[/itex] p + 1
  3. di ~[itex]\mid[/itex] 3 (p - 1)

Now let p = a prime such that p[itex]\equiv[/itex]{1,4}mod 5 so that h(p)[itex]\mid[/itex] p - 1.
If p has a primitive root such that g2[itex]\equiv[/itex] g + 1 mod(p) then h(p) = p - 1.
Note that g2[itex]\equiv[/itex] g + 1 mod(p) has two roots: 1.618033988 and -0.618033988 - variants of the Golden Ratio.
If p has no primitive root then D = {d1,d2,d3[itex]\cdots[/itex]dk} is the non-empty set of k divisors of p - 1.
Let h(p) = min[di] such that Fd(i + 1)[itex]\equiv[/itex] 1 mod p
and
di ~[itex]\mid[/itex] p + 1 and di ~[itex]\mid[/itex] floor [ p/2]].

If m is any positive integer > 3 we can write Fn mod Fm where h(Fm) is given by
  1. h(Fm) = 2mm is even
  2. h(Fm) = 4mm is odd
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Suddenly, the sun is eerily quiet: Where did the sunspots go?
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Mammoth and mastodon behavior was less roam, more stay at home
ramsey2879
Feb10-13, 09:47 AM
P: 894
Quote Quote by LDP View Post
Let Fn be the nth number of a Fibonacci sequence.
We know that Fnmod(p) forms a periodic sequence (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pisano_period) called the Pisano Period.
Let p = a prime such that p[itex]\equiv[/itex]{2,3}mod 5 so that h(p)[itex]\mid[/itex] 2 p + 2.
Let h(p) denote of the length of the Pisano period.

If D = {d1,d2,d3[itex]\cdots[/itex]dk} is the non-empty set of k divisors of 2 p + 2
Then:
h(p) = min[di] such that Fd(i + 1)[itex]\equiv[/itex] 1 mod p
and

Now let p = a prime such that p[itex]\equiv[/itex]{1,4}mod 5 so that h(p)[itex]\mid[/itex] p - 1.
If p has a primitive root such that g2[itex]\equiv[/itex] g + 1 mod(p) then h(p) = p - 1.
Note that g2[itex]\equiv[/itex] g + 1 mod(p) has two roots: 1.618033988 and -0.618033988 - variants of the Golden Ratio.
If p has no primitive root then D = {d1,d2,d3[itex]\cdots[/itex]dk} is the non-empty set of k divisors of p - 1.
Let h(p) = min[di] such that Fd(i + 1)[itex]\equiv[/itex] 1 mod p
and
di ~[itex]\mid[/itex] p + 1 and di ~[itex]\mid[/itex] floor [ p/2]].

If m is any positive integer > 3 we can write Fn mod Fm where h(Fm) is given by
  1. h(Fm) = 2mm is even
  2. h(Fm) = 4mm is odd
Interesting to say the least. I am curious as to what is meant by
I think you are saying di approximately divides the expressions on the right, but I dont know what that means. Can you give an example?
LDP
Feb10-13, 10:00 AM
PF Gold
Thanks.

No, I was trying to find - does not divide - but couldn't so I sort of made that up.
But perhaps I should clarify it, because it is not the standard notation.

ramsey2879
Feb10-13, 06:49 PM
Pisano Periods - Fibonacci Numbers mod p

Quote Quote by LDP View Post
Thanks.

No, I was trying to find - does not divide - but couldn't so I sort of made that up.
But perhaps I should clarify it, because it is not the standard notation.
Clarification noted. Only problem that I see is for p = 2 (for which you say h(p) = 2p + 2 = 6). Since h(2) = 3, I guess you meant odd primes that = 2,3, mod 5 (whose last digit is either a 3 or 7). PS, I noted that for the composites ending in 3 or 7 which I checked, that h(p) <> 2p + 2. Could this be a test for primes ending in 3 or 7?
LDP
Feb11-13, 05:57 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by ramsey2879 View Post
Clarification noted. Only problem that I see is for p = 2 (for which you say h(p) = 2p + 2 = 6). Since h(2) = 3, I guess you meant odd primes that = 2,3, mod 5 (whose last digit is either a 3 or 7). PS, I noted that for the composites ending in 3 or 7 which I checked, that h(p) <> 2p + 2. Could this be a test for primes ending in 3 or 7?
Indeed, I should have said "only odd primes".
Good catch.
I will add some more observations on this topic as time permits.
ramsey2879
Feb12-13, 10:14 AM
Quote Quote by ramsey2879 View Post
I checked and found that the following composites ending in 7 have Pisano periods that divide 2p + 2 and do not divide (1/2)*p(p+1) or p+1 or 3p-3. (All primes ending in 7 less than 100,000 meet this test also). The composites ending in 7 and less than 100,000 meeting the test are 377, 3827, 5777, 10877, 25877, 60377, 75077 and 90287.

Register to reply