Show that the sum of twin primes ## p ## and ## p+2 ## is divisible?

In summary: So it's redundant to say it again. Case 2 is when ##p\equiv 1 \mod 3## but ##p+2\equiv 1 \mod 3## is not prime. In this case, we'd say that ##p+2\equiv 0 \mod 3##.
Math100
Homework Statement
Show that the sum of twin primes ## p ## and ## p+2 ## is divisible by ## 12 ##, provided that ## p>3 ##.
Relevant Equations
None.
Proof:

Suppose ## p ## and ## p+2 ## are twin primes such that ## p>3 ##.
Let ## p=2k+1 ## for some ## k\in\mathbb{N} ##.
Then we have ## p+(p+2)=2k+1+(2k+1+2)=4k+4=4(k+1)=4m ##,
where ## m ## is an integer.
Thus, the sum of twin primes ## p ## and ## p+2 ## is divisible by ## 4 ##.
Since ## p>3 ##, it follows that ## p\equiv 2 \mod 3 ## and ## p+2\equiv 1 \mod 3 ##.
This means ## p+(p+2)\equiv 0 \mod 3 ##,
which implies that the sum of twin primes ## p ## and ## p+2 ## is divisible by ## 3 ##.
Note that ## p+(p+2) ## is divisible by both ## 3 ## and ## 4 ##.
Thus ## 12\mid p+(p+2) ##.
Therefore, the sum of twin primes ## p ## and ## p+2 ## is divisible by ## 12 ##,
provided that ## p>3 ##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Math100 said:
Homework Statement:: Show that the sum of twin primes ## p ## and ## p+2 ## is divisible by ## 12 ##, provided that ## p>3 ##.
Relevant Equations:: None.

Proof:

Thus, the sum of twin primes ## p ## and ## p+2 ## is divisible by ## 4 ##.
So far, so good.
Math100 said:
Since ## p>3 ##, it follows that ## p\equiv 2 \mod 3 ## and ## p+2\equiv 1 \mod 3 ##.
Why does it follow that ## p\equiv 2 \mod 3 ##? Isn't it possible that ## p\equiv 1 \mod 3 ##? Given that p is a prime it obviously can't be true that ##p \equiv 0 \mod 3##, but you didn't say anything about the other possibility I pointed out.
Math100 said:
This means ## p+(p+2)\equiv 0 \mod 3 ##,
which implies that the sum of twin primes ## p ## and ## p+2 ## is divisible by ## 3 ##.
Therefore, the sum of twin primes ## p ## and ## p+2 ## is divisible by ## 12 ##,
provided that ## p>3 ##.
The last part, assuming you can address my earlier concern, is wordier than necessary.

Instead of this
sum of twin primes ## p ## and ## p+2 ## is divisible by ## 3 ##
all you need to say is this: Thus p + p + 2 is divisible by 3.
You've already set things up by positing that p and p+2 are primes, and that p > 3. You don't need to keep repeating this things.

Since you've already established that p + p + 2 is divisible by 4, you can conclude that p + p+2 is divisible by 12.
Once you establish that

Last edited:
Likes Math100
Mark44 said:
So far, so good.

Why does it follow that ## p\equiv 2 \mod 3 ##? Isn't it possible that ## p\equiv 1 \mod 3 ##?
Yes, I just realized that both are possible and both should be included, ## p\equiv 1 \mod 3 ## and ## p\equiv 2 \mod 3 ##. But how should I include both of them in this proof? Should I do/include two cases?

Math100 said:
Should I do/include two cases?
Yes. Case 1 is what you already did. Case 2 would be the other possibility that I mentioned.

Likes Math100
I've edited my post #2 -- be sure to take another look at it.

Likes Math100
So I found out that if ## p\equiv 1 \mod 3 ##, then ## p+2\equiv 0 \mod 3 ##. Thus ## p+(p+2)\equiv 1 \mod 3 ##.

Math100 said:
So I found out that if ## p\equiv 1 \mod 3 ##, then ## p+2\equiv 0 \mod 3 ##. Thus ## p+(p+2)\equiv 1 \mod 3 ##.
Yes, but what does ## p+2\equiv 0 \mod 3 ## tell you about p + 2?

Mark44 said:
Yes, but what does ## p+2\equiv 0 \mod 3 ## tell you about p + 2?
That the prime ## p+2 ## is divisible by 3.

So I just have to mention/include that if ## p\equiv 1 \mod 3 ##, then ## p+2\equiv 0 \mod 3 ## for case #2?

Mark44 said:
So far, so good.

Why does it follow that ## p\equiv 2 \mod 3 ##? Isn't it possible that ## p\equiv 1 \mod 3 ##? Given that p is a prime it obviously can't be true that ##p \equiv 0 \mod 3##, but you didn't say anything about the other possibility I pointed out.

If ## p\equiv 1 \mod 3 ## then ## p+2\equiv 0 \mod 3 ## and p+2 isn't prime, violating that assumption

Likes Math100
gbosdet said:
If ## p\equiv 1 \mod 3 ## then ## p+2\equiv 0 \mod 3 ## and p+2 isn't prime, violating that assumption
Now I see.

Another way to look at what we're calling Case 1 is that if ##p \equiv 2 \mod 3##, that's the same as saying ##p \equiv -1 \mod 3##.
So ##p + 2 \equiv +1 \mod 3##, and ##p + p+2 \equiv 0 \mod 3##.

I'm not saying that either way has an advantage over the other.

Likes Math100
Thus ## 4\mid p+(p+2) ##.
Since ## p>3 ##, it follows that ## p\equiv 1 \mod 3 ## or ## p\equiv 2 \mod 3 ##.
Now we consider two cases.
Case #1: Suppose ## p\equiv 1 \mod 3 ##.
Then we have ## p+2\equiv 0 \mod 3 ##.
This is a contradiction because ## 3\nmid p+2 ##,
given the fact that ## p+2 ## is twin prime.
Case #2: Suppose ## p\equiv 2 \mod 3 ##.
Then we have ## p+2\equiv 1 \mod 3 ##.
Thus ## p+(p+2)\equiv 0 \mod 3 ##,
which implies that ## 3\mid p+(p+2) ##.
provided that ## p>3 ##.

Looks good, overall. If I were doing this problem, I would add the parts in green, and delete the parts that are struck out.

Math100 said:
Let ## p=2k+1 ## and ##p + 2 = 2k + 3## for some ## k\in\mathbb{N} ##.

Thus ## 4\mid p+(p+2) ##.
Since ## p>3 ##, it follows that Now either ## p\equiv 1 \mod 3 ## or ## p\equiv 2 \mod 3 ##.
Now we consider two cases.
Case #1: Suppose ## p\equiv 1 \mod 3 ##.
Then we have ## p+2\equiv 0 \mod 3 ##.
This is a contradiction because ## 3\nmid p+2 ##,
given the fact that
## p+2 ## is twin prime.
Case #2: Suppose ## p\equiv 2 \mod 3 ##.
Then we have ## p+2\equiv 1 \mod 3 ##.
Thus ## p+(p+2)\equiv 0 \mod 3 ##,
which implies that so ## 3\mid p+(p+2) ##.
provided that ## p>3 ##.
An elegant proof is one that says everything that needs to be said, but without an extraneous wordage. Several people who have made comments on your other threads have been steering you in this direction.

Likes Math100
Mark44 said:
Why does it follow that p≡2mod3? Isn't it possible that p≡1mod3?
No, if ##p\equiv 1 \mod 3## then ##p+2 \equiv 0 \mod 3## so ##p+2## is not prime. It therefore does follow that ##p\equiv 2\mod 3##. This follows directly from the basic assumptions of the problem and I don’t think it qualifies to be called its own case. I would just say:
Since p > 3, p=2 mod 3 as p=0 mod 3 would not be prime and p=1 mod 3 would imply that p+2=0 mod 3 would not be prime.

Mark44 said:
Why does it follow that p≡2mod3? Isn't it possible that p≡1mod3?
Orodruin said:
No, if ##p\equiv 1 \mod 3## then ##p+2 \equiv 0 \mod 3## so ##p+2## is not prime. It therefore does follow that ##p\equiv 2\mod 3##. This follows directly from the basic assumptions of the problem and I don’t think it qualifies to be called its own case. I would just say:
Since p > 3, p=2 mod 3 as p=0 mod 3 would not be prime and p=1 mod 3 would imply that p+2=0 mod 3 would not be prime.
Yes, I understand all of the above. My post was to get the OP to understand that he had not addressed (and then discounted) the possibility that ##p \equiv 1 \mod 3## might be true. As has already been shown in this thread, p and p + 2 can't be twin primes if ##p \equiv 1 \mod 3##.

Likes Math100

1. What are twin primes?

Twin primes are a pair of prime numbers that are only two numbers apart, such as 41 and 43. They are considered special because they are very close in value and have no other prime numbers in between them.

2. How do you prove that the sum of twin primes is divisible?

To prove that the sum of twin primes is divisible, we can use the fact that any prime number can be written in the form 6n+1 or 6n-1 (where n is a positive integer). This means that the sum of any two twin primes will always be divisible by 6, as 6n+1 + 6n-1 = 12n, which is divisible by 6.

3. Are there an infinite number of twin primes?

This is a famous unsolved problem in mathematics known as the Twin Prime Conjecture. While there are many known pairs of twin primes, it has not been proven that there are an infinite number of them. However, many mathematicians believe that there are infinite twin primes.

4. Can twin primes be used in cryptography?

Yes, twin primes have been used in some cryptographic algorithms, such as the Goldwasser-Micali Cryptosystem. However, they are not as commonly used as other prime numbers due to their limited availability.

5. Is there a specific formula for generating twin primes?

No, there is currently no known formula for generating twin primes. However, there are some conjectures and patterns that have been observed in the distribution of twin primes, such as the Hardy-Littlewood Conjecture.