Carmichael Numbers: Prove Product of Primes is a Carmichael Number

• Thread starter ArcanaNoir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, the proof concludes that if (p-1)\mid (n-1) for every prime divisor p of n, then n is a Carmichael number.
ArcanaNoir

Homework Statement

A Carmichael number is a composite integer n greater than or equal to 2 such that [itex] b^{n-1} \equiv 1 [/itex] (mod n) for all integers b that re relatively prime to n.

Let n be a Product of at least 3 distinct odd primes. Prove that if [itex](p-1)\mid (n-1)[/itex] for every prime divisor p of n, then n is a Carmichael number.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My first question actually comes up on the proof itself, I have that by fermats little theorem [itex] b^{p_i-1}\equiv 1 (\textrm{mod} p_i)[/itex] for all the [itex]p_i[/itex] that divide n. but then I have that this means that [itex] b^{n-1}\equiv 1 (\textrm{mod} p_i) [/itex] and I don't know why that's true.

My second question is for ILS if he sees this post, can I apply Eulers theorem to do this proof instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
ArcanaNoir said:

Homework Statement

A Carmichael number is a composite integer n greater than or equal to 2 such that [itex] b^{n-1} \equiv 1 [/itex] (mod n) for all integers b that re relatively prime to n.

Let n be a Product of at least 3 distinct odd primes. Prove that if [itex](p-1)\mid (n-1)[/itex] for every prime divisor p of n, then n is a Carmichael number.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My first question actually comes up on the proof itself, I have that by fermats little theorem [itex] b^{p_i-1}\equiv 1 (\textrm{mod} p_i)[/itex] for all the [itex]p_i[/itex] that divide n. but then I have that this means that [itex] b^{n-1}\equiv 1 (\textrm{mod} p_i) [/itex] and I don't know why that's true.

My second question is for ILS if he sees this post, can I apply Eulers theorem to do this proof instead?

Hey Arcana! o:)

I don't see how Euler's theorem can be used, but I certainly see how the Chinese Remainder Theorem can be used. :cool:

Suppose ##\displaystyle n=\prod_{i=1}^m p_i## with ##p_i## distinct primes.
Then according to CRT, we have that ##\psi## given by:
$$\psi: (\mathbb Z/n \mathbb Z)^* \to (\mathbb Z/p_1 \mathbb Z)^* \times (\mathbb Z/p_2 \mathbb Z)^* \times ... \times (\mathbb Z/p_m \mathbb Z)^*$$
$$\psi: (x \text{ mod } n) \mapsto (x \text{ mod } p_1, ~x \text{ mod } p_2, ~ ... ,~x \text{ mod } p_m)$$
is an isomorphism.

Now what if we fill in ##x=b^{n-1}##?

(In other words: ##\text{Fermat} \prec \text{Euler} \prec \text{CRT}##. :biggrin:)

Last edited:
How do you know everything ILS? I have not yet asked a question which you did not seem to be an expert on. Surely even if you did learn everything the knowledge must leak out of your brain after a while; you can't possible always remember everything you've learned... How do you do it?

ArcanaNoir said:
How do you know everything ILS? I have not yet asked a question which you did not seem to be an expert on. Surely even if you did learn everything the knowledge must leak out of your brain after a while; you can't possible always remember everything you've learned... How do you do it?

I keep thinking what an amazing coincidence it is that you seem to be interested in exactly the topics that I know a little about. :wink:

ArcanaNoir said:

Since ##(p_i - 1)|(n-1)## it follows that there is some integer k such that ##k(p_i - 1)=(n-1)##.
So
$$b^{n-1} \equiv b^{k(p_i - 1)}\equiv (b^{p_i - 1})^k \equiv 1^k \equiv 1 \pmod{p_i}$$

The next step would be that:
$$b^{n-1} = 1 + k_1 p_1$$
$$b^{n-1} = 1 + k_2 p_2$$
$$...$$
$$b^{n-1} = 1 + k_m p_m$$

Now what can you conclude from that?

Thats okay, I know how to end the proof. It was that one step I didn't follow. Thanks for spelling it out :)

1. What is a Carmichael Number?

A Carmichael number is a composite number that satisfies the Fermat's Little Theorem. This means that for any Carmichael number, if you pick a random base and raise it to the power of the Carmichael number, the result will always be congruent to 1 mod the Carmichael number.

2. How do you prove that a product of primes is a Carmichael Number?

To prove that a product of primes is a Carmichael number, you need to show that it satisfies the three conditions of a Carmichael number: it is composite, it satisfies the Fermat's Little Theorem, and it is the smallest number that satisfies the first two conditions.

3. Why is it important to prove that a number is a Carmichael Number?

Proving that a number is a Carmichael number helps in understanding the properties of composite numbers and the behavior of modular arithmetic. It also has implications in cryptography and number theory.

4. Can any composite number be a Carmichael Number?

No, not all composite numbers can be Carmichael numbers. Only certain special composite numbers that satisfy the three conditions of a Carmichael number can be considered as Carmichael numbers.

5. How are Carmichael numbers different from prime numbers?

Carmichael numbers are composite numbers, which means they have more than two factors. On the other hand, prime numbers have only two factors: 1 and the number itself. Additionally, prime numbers do not satisfy the Fermat's Little Theorem, while Carmichael numbers do.