Register to reply

Electric Superchargers?

by Ryuk1990
Tags: electric, superchargers
Share this thread:
Ryuk1990
Feb8-13, 12:51 PM
P: 158
Does anyone here have any experience with electric superchargers? From the limited information I've read on the Internet, it seems energy storage is the biggest issue with them. For one, the average automotive vehicle tends to have a battery with too low of a voltage. Also, the motors that provide enough compression are too heavy/big.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Mech_Engineer
Feb8-13, 01:49 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,248
The limiting factor goes back to power requirements- a lot of power is required to compress air at the pressure and flow rate required to run an engine. Paired with the fact that an electric supercharger requires its own energy storage and motor to drive the compressor, it's really a losing proposition compared to mechanically coupling to the engine either through belt drive or exhaust turbine drive (as in a turbocharger).
HowlerMonkey
Feb12-13, 07:45 AM
P: 276
Audi has prototypes and some volvo trucks run a motor/generator instead of mechanical linking as in a turbo compound engine.

Highspeed
Feb12-13, 11:05 AM
P: 44
Electric Superchargers?

In short bursts, they can function at low boost levels. Probably their best use though would be to quickly spool up a larger turbo. Of course, electric-assist turbos do the same thing.
spiveycool
Mar5-13, 07:09 PM
P: 6
I am working on a fuel/O2 gas powered turbo system. Any thoughts?
Mech_Engineer
Mar9-13, 03:48 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,248
I'm thinking that has nothing to do with this thread's topic...

Register to reply