Design a compressed air energy storage for a PV plant

In summary, the goal of the preliminary design is to find a CAES system that will store energy from a PV plant to be used during off-peak hours. The system will include a compressor, two heat exchangers, an air receiver, an air motor, and a generator. The tank will be sized to store 14 kWh of energy.
Ameen1985
Summary:: Design compressed air energy storage for PV plant

[Mentor Note -- Thread moved from a technical forum, so no Homework Template is shown]

Hi All
For a PV project of 5 kW, we will use a CAES.
The preliminary design will consist of a compressor - 2 heat exchanger - Air receiver - air motor - generator - 2 water tanks as a thermal storage units to have an adiabatic systems.
For a 5 kW PV plant, an energy of 20 to 26 kWh is expected.
At this stage I don't have enough information about the components size and I want to start with the air tank size.
I want to study different sizes and different tank pressures which will accommodate a certain amount of energy.
Any help please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Is this for schoolwork?

Ameen1985 said:
Summary:: Design compressed air energy storage for PV plant

Hi All
For a PV project of 5 kW, we will use a CAES.
The preliminary design will consist of a compressor - 2 heat exchanger - Air receiver - air motor - generator - 2 water tanks as a thermal storage units to have an adiabatic systems.
For a 5 kW PV plant, an energy of 20 to 26 kWh is expected.
At this stage I don't have enough information about the components size and I want to start with the air tank size.
I want to study different sizes and different tank pressures which will accommodate a certain amount of energy.
Any help please?
Please show a diagram of your proposed CAES system layout.

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Is this for schoolwork?
Many thanks for your reply.
It’s for a Uni project

Ameen1985 said:
Many thanks for your reply.
It’s for a Uni project
Let’s see your flow diagram.

Chestermiller said:
Please show a diagram of your proposed CAES system layout.
Many thanks for your reply. It will be something like this
Untitled Diagram.png

And what are the design requirements and constraints vor the CAES?

Likes russ_watters
...specifically, how many kWh do you want to store and/or output? (I assume the generated number was per day).

russ_watters said:
...specifically, how many kWh do you want to store and/or output? (I assume the generated number was per day).

I thought for a preliminary design, I may should think of having an air bottle sufficient for the maximum PV output which is about 26 kWh per day. However, by taking into consideration the required load, about 14 kWh will be stored per day.

Is this really the size of the problem ?
Code:
   1 W·hr = 3600 joule. 
   25 kW·hr = 25000 * 3600 = 90 megajoule
   Cubic metre * pascal = joule

m3        MPa         Bar          psi
   10        9.000       90.000       1305.
   15        6.000       60.000        870.
   20        4.500       45.000        653.
   25        3.600       36.000        522.
   30        3.000       30.000        435.
   35        2.571       25.714        373.
   40        2.250       22.500        326.
   45        2.000       20.000        290.
   50        1.800       18.000        261.

bigfooted said:
And what are the design requirements and constraints vor the CAES?

I am in the preliminary design stage, so I want to study different options of size vs pressure vs cost. Thermodynamic modelling and charts of different options will be enough now.

Baluncore said:
Is this really the size of the problem ?
Code:
   1 W·hr = 3600 joule.
   25 kW·hr = 25000 * 3600 = 90 megajoule
   Cubic metre * pascal = joule

m3        MPa         Bar          psi
   10        9.000       90.000       1305.
   15        6.000       60.000        870.
   20        4.500       45.000        653.
   25        3.600       36.000        522.
   30        3.000       30.000        435.
   35        2.571       25.714        373.
   40        2.250       22.500        326.
   45        2.000       20.000        290.
   50        1.800       18.000        261.

Many thanks for your reply but I wish it is that simple.
I think for an adiabatic CAES, the pressure outside and inside the vessel, the temperature, a polytropic exponent, and I am not sure is there anything else should be taken into consideration.

Ameen1985 said:
I thought for a preliminary design, I may should think of having an air bottle sufficient for the maximum PV output which is about 26 kWh per day. However, by taking into consideration the required load, about 14 kWh will be stored per day.
I am in the preliminary design stage, so I want to study different options of size vs pressure vs cost.
Ok, so this is an optimization problem. You should put together a table listing the possible values. Note; the larger you make your air storage, the smaller your total generation gets.

You should research the requirements to run air motors; how much pressure and flow they need to operate. Then you can match that to a compressor and tank.

1. How does compressed air energy storage work?

Compressed air energy storage (CAES) involves using excess energy from a PV plant to compress air and store it in an underground reservoir. When energy is needed, the compressed air is released and used to power a turbine, generating electricity.

2. What are the benefits of using compressed air energy storage for a PV plant?

CAES allows for the storage of excess energy generated by a PV plant, which can then be used during times of high demand or when the sun is not shining. This helps to increase the overall efficiency and reliability of the PV plant.

3. How is the compressed air stored in a CAES system?

The compressed air is typically stored in an underground cavern or aquifer, which acts as a natural reservoir. The air is compressed using large compressors and is then released when needed to power a turbine and generate electricity.

4. What are the limitations of using compressed air energy storage for a PV plant?

One limitation is the cost of building and maintaining the necessary infrastructure for a CAES system. Additionally, the efficiency of the system may be affected by the geology and location of the underground reservoir.

5. How can compressed air energy storage be integrated into a PV plant?

CAES can be integrated into a PV plant by connecting the compressed air storage system to the plant's existing electrical infrastructure. This allows for the seamless transfer of energy between the PV plant and the CAES system.