Relation between electric motor and battery current, peak etc.

In summary: I am not an engineer or physicist, but I have been working in the electrical industry for about 5 years now.
Jon Zimmer
Good afternoon guys,

I was making some researches about building my own EV and its' specifications but I have a few no direct answered questions and some of them I humbly ask the help for you guys, based on the configuration example below.

Considering that I hypothetically have an electric DC motor with a minimum operating voltage of 48v, nominal input 72v and peak 96v with DC current limitation of 100A (peak 9.6kW) and an LFP battery pack of 72v and 20aH (with discharge max of 4C):

- Does the motor will draw only 80A from the battery-via-controller as it is the maximum the battery can provide/supply?
- How the motor can achieve its' peak of 96v as the battery has only 72v? How could it happen (if/or happens)? Or the battery has to be arranged/set to/with 96v to match the motor?
- Is there a proportional reasonable ratio between battery-motor that I can have a good range and performance.
- In the sometimes referred "continuous rate" of motors and batteries are there a base/average that I can stipulate/calculate (even if not described by the manufacturer) or it depends on the fabrication process? Is it the same for the minimum current the motor draws from the battery?

* I apologise for the amount of questions and any mistakes (even if technical or linguistic) which can sound stupid, this is my first time/post on the forum and I'm doing all by myself as I'm not an engineer or physicist and would be grateful with some advice or missed point :) .

Beforehand, thank you all for the attention and help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Jon Zimmer said:
with DC current limitation of 100A (peak 9.6kW)
That makes no sense, amps and kW are not the same thing.

But in general, I think you are confusing max ratings with actual numbers. The tires on your Corolla may be rated for up to 200 mph. That does not imply that your Corolla can really reach 200 mph. If you have a 9.6 kW battery, then you shop for motors rated 9.6 kW or more. It is likely that the best choice is rated at 10 kW or some other round number, not exactly 9.6.

If your real question is "How do I optimize the EV motor and battery design?" it is a big job. You need to consider the entire range of demands the car is expected to meet, speed, hill climbing, range, cost, max and min temperatures, weight, size, lifetime, and so on. Then compare those requirements with several proposed designs. An engineering company assigned to do that might produce an inch thick report.

But the key point is that it does not begin with design choices. It begins with requirements. What cost/performance features do you require the EV to meet to declare it a success. "Best possible" is not an answer. Take range for example. Do you require at least 400 miles range? or 40 miles?

Thanks for your point of view, it helps me somehow, but does not answer on the hypothetical setup I posted (I wrote that the motor peak is 9.6kW (96v*100aH), not the battery as you answered). Actually, on the '1 inch thick report', there are a few years I've been constantly reworking by my own with all its variations and variables included before starting building it. The type of vehicle, if it is a car, bus, bike or else and it's expected/approximate electrical setup (motor-battery) I kind of already have and recalculate the needs based on the variables as you mentioned. These few details posted are the ones which I can't get the closer or exact answer. Thanks anyway.

Jon Zimmer said:
Thanks for your point of view, it helps me somehow, but does not answer on the hypothetical setup I posted (I wrote that the motor peak is 9.6kW (96v*100aH), not the battery as you answered). Actually, on the '1 inch thick report', there are a few years I've been constantly reworking by my own with all its variations and variables included before starting building it. The type of vehicle, if it is a car, bus, bike or else and it's expected/approximate electrical setup (motor-battery) I kind of already have and recalculate the needs based on the variables as you mentioned. These few details posted are the ones which I can't get the closer or exact answer. Thanks anyway.
Can you say what your background is in EE and electricity and electrical motor+battery systems? As @anorlunda has pointed out, there are several issues with your initial question that seem to show misunderstandings about how power is transferred from a battery to a motor. We would like to help you with this project, so it would help us know at what level to address our responses. Thanks.

1. What is the relationship between electric motor and battery current?

The electric motor and battery current have a direct relationship. The electric motor converts electrical energy from the battery into mechanical energy, and the amount of current flowing through the motor determines the speed and torque of the motor.

2. How does the peak current affect the performance of an electric motor?

The peak current, also known as the maximum current, is the highest amount of current that can flow through an electric motor before it reaches its limit. A higher peak current can result in a more powerful motor with higher torque and faster speed, but it can also put more strain on the motor and decrease its lifespan.

3. Is it important to match the battery current to the electric motor's specifications?

Yes, it is important to match the battery current to the electric motor's specifications. If the battery current is too low, the motor may not function properly or may not even start. If the battery current is too high, it can damage the motor and potentially cause safety hazards.

4. What factors can affect the battery current in relation to the electric motor?

The battery current can be affected by various factors such as the voltage of the battery, the resistance of the motor, and the load on the motor. Higher voltage batteries can provide more current, while a higher resistance motor will require more current to operate. The load on the motor can also affect the current, as a heavier load will require more current to maintain speed and torque.

5. How can the battery current be controlled in an electric motor?

The battery current can be controlled by using a motor controller. This device regulates the amount of current flowing from the battery to the motor, allowing for precise control of the motor's speed and torque. It can also protect the motor from high currents and prolong its lifespan.