Register to reply

Electrician advice needed.

by yungman
Tags: advice, electrician
Share this thread:
yungman
Feb12-13, 04:35 AM
P: 3,883
I am putting in recess lighting in my house, I am retrofitting it, not a new build. I want to find out what kind of cable I should use to hook up the lights. I take that it should be 3 wires ( Black, white and green) in one type. Is 20A good enough? Of cause I am not using close to 20A, but I want to do it right so I can even pass the safety code inspection. Please advice.

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
Amazon worker piloted drone around Space Needle
Five next-generation technologies for positioning, navigation and timing
sophiecentaur
Feb12-13, 05:22 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,922
If you want to follow your local rules for electrical installation then you really should read them. They vary from country to country and I think they are available wherever you are. Wire colouring and fusing requirements all vary around the World. 'Common sense' is not enough to satisfy an inspector!
berkeman
Feb12-13, 11:15 AM
Mentor
P: 40,706
Quote Quote by yungman View Post
I am putting in recess lighting in my house, I am retrofitting it, not a new build. I want to find out what kind of cable I should use to hook up the lights. I take that it should be 3 wires ( Black, white and green) in one type. Is 20A good enough? Of cause I am not using close to 20A, but I want to do it right so I can even pass the safety code inspection. Please advice.

Thanks
It is good that you are going to have it inspected and signed off when you are done. As centaur says, you need to check with that building department (that will be the one to sign off on the work) to find out what your local electrical codes require.

Register to reply