Creating a Custom Cable: 7-Pin Amphenol Connector and Unique Electrode Input

• Electrical
  • Thread starter Ephant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cable Socket
Ephant
electrode input cable.jpg

This cable costs $200 so I want to build one. I know where to get the round silver plug at right which is a 7 pin Amphenol and I know the pin designations inside.

I'd like to know if the left white electrode input socket can be found anywhere or it can only be made special at factory. Have you seen anything like it being sold anywhere?

The red (+) and black (-) input is differential with a ground/reference at middle. Should I use twisted wires like used in ethernet cable as the cable? What is the size of wire I should use. How many feet before it can cause enough noises?

I plan to use up to 1000 Hz signal. If the wire and plugs at either end is not matched. Would the impedance mismatched attenuate or cause noises in the signal?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ephant said:
Have you seen anything like it being sold anywhere?
What are the physical dimensions of the shell and the electrodes?
Ephant said:
The red (+) and black (-) input is differential with a ground/reference at middle. Should I use twisted wires like used in ethernet cable as the cable?
Twist the (+) and (-) wires, and shield them inside the grounded screen.
Ephant said:
What is the size of wire I should use.
That depends on the unspecified signal amps, the voltage determines the insulation.
The wire should fit in the shell, and terminate sensibly at the electrodes.
Ephant said:
How many feet before it can cause enough noises?
Many. At 1 kHz, a screened twisted pair will be reasonably quiet. How much noise do you need to avoid, and in what environment?
Ephant said:
I plan to use up to 1000 Hz signal. If the wire and plugs at either end is not matched. Would the impedance mismatched attenuate or cause noises in the signal?
The wavelength of a 1 kHz signal would be 3e8/1e3 = 3e5 = 300 km. The cable is very much shorter than that, so there should be no problems at 1 kHz.
Only the total lump capacitance of the cable would be important.

It's 1.5mm Touchproof sockets. Voltage is biopotentials of human skin surface. So I can just use ethernet cable?

Why do you suppose it costs $200? What-all does it do? What does it plug into?

Thread is closed for Moderation...

Because this appears to be related to the OP's DIY Biomedical experimentation, the thread will remain closed.

What is a 7-pin Amphenol connector used for in custom cables?

A 7-pin Amphenol connector is typically used in custom cable assemblies for applications requiring robust and reliable multipin connections. These connectors are commonly used in audio equipment, military communications, and industrial machinery where secure, weather-resistant connections are necessary for transmitting power and signals.

How do you wire a 7-pin Amphenol connector?

Wiring a 7-pin Amphenol connector involves aligning the wires with the appropriate pin assignments based on the device's requirements. First, strip the insulation from each wire, then solder or crimp them to the corresponding pins of the connector. It's crucial to consult the wiring diagram specific to your application to ensure correct pin assignments and secure connections.

What are the considerations for choosing a cable for use with a 7-pin Amphenol connector?

When choosing a cable for use with a 7-pin Amphenol connector, consider the electrical requirements such as voltage and current, the environmental conditions like temperature and moisture exposure, and mechanical stresses including pulling and bending. The cable's shielding and conductor material should also be compatible with the signal type (analog or digital) and the required signal integrity.

Can you integrate unique electrode inputs with a 7-pin Amphenol connector?

Yes, unique electrode inputs can be integrated with a 7-pin Amphenol connector, provided that the pin configuration supports the electrode's requirements. This integration typically involves customizing the wiring scheme to accommodate the electrode's function, such as signal acquisition or sensor input. Special attention should be given to shielding and grounding to preserve signal integrity.

What are the best practices for testing a custom cable with a 7-pin Amphenol connector?

Best practices for testing a custom cable with a 7-pin Amphenol connector include visual inspection for proper assembly, continuity testing to ensure all connections are correctly made and there are no shorts, and functional testing using the equipment it is designed to interface with. Additionally, it's advisable to perform stress and environmental tests to verify the cable's durability and performance under various conditions.