Can I run cable tv signal and on air tv signal in a single coax?

In summary: But the combiner at the antenna and the splitter at the bottom will take care of that.In summary, it is possible to have Dish Network and an antenna in the same house, by running the two services in separate cables until they enter the house, and then using a combiner or a physical switch in the house to feed the one internal distribution line.
yungman
Hi
I currently subscribe to Directv, the signal is from the dish and split into 4 coax to go to 4 different rooms. So each room has a coax output on the wall to hook up to the Directv receiver box.

I decided to change to Dish Network. At the same time, I want to install a VHF/UHF digital tv antenna on the roof so I can receive local tv channels. Do I have to have Dish Network to put in a new set of cables to each room and leave the original Directv coax alone so I can use it to connect an antenna. OR can I have them combine the Dish signal and the antenna signal into the coax. Then I use a splitter to get both signals in each room?

I read Dish signal is around 10GHz, UFH is around 500MHz. It should be ok to mix the two signals through one coax and split them out later. I hate to run two separate sets of coax around the house if I can help it. Just want to know whether it is possible.

I can only receive good antenna signals in one room, no signal in the rest of the house. So a roof top antenna is the only option. I just want to confirm that. Also, will the Dish Network installer be able to combine the signal for me? Or I can get an antenna installer later to run the signal into the Dish coax?

Ha ha, I am afraid of height, there's not way in the world I would go up to the roof to do anything myself. Or else I would just do it. I have to rely on other people to do it. So I have to be careful and clarify everything first.

Any reading material you can give me a link will be helpful. Somehow no matter how I type, search engine keep giving me "combine cable internet with antenna". I can't find satellite dish signal.

Thanks

Alan

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is a safer compromise. Run the two services in two separate cables until they enter the house. You can then test each independently, and so avoid finger pointing should one fail. Once installed, you can use a combiner or a physical switch in the house, to feed the one internal distribution line.

Likes sophiecentaur
Baluncore said:
There is a safer compromise. Run the two services in two separate cables until they enter the house. You can then test each independently, and so avoid finger pointing should one fail. Once installed, you can use a combiner or a physical switch in the house, to feed the one internal distribution line.
If I do that, then I might as well keep it separate.
Right now, they split into 4 separate cable on the roof top and each runs into a separate room. If I run separate cables to each room, that's like I tell them to leave the old coax from Directv alone and put in a completely new set of cables.

Maybe that's the safest way to go, just more cables running around. I asked, Dish has no problem running a completely new set of cables and leave my old cables from Directv alone.

thanks

Theoretically, yes. Of course you will need filters, splitters, combiners and such. But I think @Baluncore is right, keep them separate enough so that you aren't interfering with the providers system, both for simplicity, troubleshooting, and practical issues dealing with the telecom field service guys. In any case, I would design your system so that you can easily reconfigure the normal telecom installation to demonstrate to the FSE that it's their problem to fix, not caused by you.

Likes russ_watters and yungman
yeh, I think I am just going to have them put in completely new set of cables and leave the old ones alone, then in the future, when I have time, then worry about putting in the outdoor antenna and hook up the stuffs. Those are just for back up, Dish Network do provide local tv already.

I did search on splitter that separate the two signal, I yet to find one. Some looked promising, but I can't get the detail description.

thanks

yungman said:
I did search on splitter that separate the two signal, I yet to find one.
The signal-efficient combiner at the antenna, and the splitter at the bottom of the cable will be very similar devices, if not the same reciprocal device.

Another complexity of a single cable, would be feeding DC power up one cable to power the masthead electronics and switches of two or more systems.

Likes yungman
Baluncore said:
The signal-efficient combiner at the antenna, and the splitter at the bottom of the cable will be very similar devices, if not the same reciprocal device.

Another complexity of a single cable, would be feeding DC power up one cable to power the masthead electronics and switches of two or more systems.
There is DC, that make it more complicate. I think the best is to have two separate wirings and leave it at that.

Thanks

yungman said:
At the same time, I want to install a VHF/UHF digital tv antenna on the roof so I can receive local tv channels.
As an aside, have you thought about how 4 separate rooms will control the direction and gain settings for your rooftop DTV antenna? You'll likely need to have some central control station in the house, once you map out the various DTV stations in your area, no?

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/antennas-and-digital-television

as for the DC over coax to feed the dish head, how about putting a sufficient capacitance to block the DC from going back out into the local area TV coax cable?

Otherwise I don't see why a simple splitter/combiner wouldn't work, it should, as long as the ends have the proper demodulation apparatus like a decoder for the local Tv and one for the dish, as they do already.

I suggest you get a 20 dB pre-amp and OTA antenna away from nearest towards but towards weakest tower. Then this will enhance coverage and compensate for each 3.5 dB splitter loss in home.
1682340637745.png

Likes Tom.G

1. Can I use a single coaxial cable to carry both cable TV and over-the-air TV signals?

Yes, it is possible to use a single coaxial cable to carry both cable TV and over-the-air TV signals. This is known as "dual-tuning" and requires a special device called a diplexer. The diplexer separates the two signals and sends them to their respective devices.

2. Do I need any special equipment to combine cable TV and over-the-air TV signals?

Yes, you will need a diplexer to combine the two signals onto a single coaxial cable. You may also need a signal amplifier if the signals are weak or if you are splitting the signal to multiple devices.

3. Will combining cable TV and over-the-air TV signals affect the quality of the picture?

In most cases, combining the two signals will not affect the quality of the picture. However, if the signals are weak or if the diplexer is not properly installed, it may result in a degraded picture. It is important to use high-quality equipment and ensure proper installation for the best results.

4. Can I combine cable TV and over-the-air TV signals on any coaxial cable?

No, not all coaxial cables are suitable for carrying both cable TV and over-the-air TV signals. It is important to use a high-quality coaxial cable that is properly shielded to prevent interference between the two signals. It is also recommended to use a cable with a low signal loss rating to maintain signal strength.

5. Are there any limitations to combining cable TV and over-the-air TV signals?

Yes, there are some limitations to combining the two signals. The diplexer can only separate and combine signals within a certain frequency range, so it may not work with all cable TV and over-the-air TV channels. Additionally, the diplexer may not work if the signals are too weak, so it is important to have a strong signal for both sources.