Equilibrium Distribution of Electrons and Holes

In summary, this diagram shows the probability of an electron being in a specific energy state, as determined by the Fermi distribution. The function is symmetrical to the left and right, and is close to 0 for states of high energy and 1 for states of low energy.
shayaan_musta
Hello. I was studying the Semiconductor and I am confused with this diagram.
I have attached the diagram. Please tell me briefly what does this diagram say. So that I could ask further. I have confusion with this diagram. I don't want to be specific so that you describe the whole diagram briefly and I will try to understand it.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Equilibrium distribution of electrons and holes.PNG
    Equilibrium distribution of electrons and holes.PNG
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,228
Physics news on Phys.org
fF(E) is the probability that a state is occupied, as determined by the Fermi distribution (left=0, right=1). It is close to 0 for states of high energy (top part of the plot) and close to 1 for states of low energy (bottom).
gc is the density of states in the conducting band with that specific energy - it is zero at Ec and increasing for higher energy.

To find the number of electrons with a specific energy, you multiply both functions, and get the shaded area. Its area is (proportional to) the total number of electrons.

gv is the same in the valence band.

@mfb

Thank you for your kind reply. Here is another image.
I am confused with a sentence "We note previously that the function f(E) for E>EF is symmetrical to ...", last four line of the first paragraph.

Would you please help me in understanding how f(E) for E=Ef+dE is equal to the function 1-f(E) for E=Ef-dE.

Thank you.

I don't see another image.

Close to the Fermi energy and for small temperatures (always true in semiconductors), the function is nearly point symmetric with f(EF)=1/2 as symmetry point.
That relation is just another way to express this symmetry.

Here is another image. sorry friend.

Now you can see the last 4 lines of the first paragraph in the given image.
Thank you for your reply.

Attachments

• equilibrium distribution of electrons and holes.PNG
    equilibrium distribution of electrons and holes.PNG
    70.1 KB · Views: 621
Anyone help me

Hello friend.
What do you mean by open question?
I am asking you to clear the last four line of the first paragraph from the attached image.
Thank you.

I posted an explanation in post 4.

I read your post several times and I got what you have said. Thank you. It is cleared now. I hope you will help me next time if I post another thread for help.

Thank you.

What is equilibrium distribution of electrons and holes?

The equilibrium distribution of electrons and holes refers to the balance or equal distribution of electrons and holes in a material at thermal equilibrium. In other words, there is no net movement of charge carriers (electrons and holes) in any direction.

What factors affect the equilibrium distribution of electrons and holes?

The equilibrium distribution of electrons and holes is affected by factors such as temperature, doping concentration, and the type of material (i.e. whether it is a conductor, insulator, or semiconductor).

How does temperature affect the equilibrium distribution of electrons and holes?

As temperature increases, the equilibrium distribution of electrons and holes also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, more electrons and holes are excited from the valence band to the conduction band, resulting in a higher number of free charge carriers.

What is the relationship between doping concentration and equilibrium distribution of electrons and holes?

Doping concentration refers to the intentional addition of impurities (atoms of a different element) to a material in order to alter its electrical properties. The equilibrium distribution of electrons and holes is directly proportional to the doping concentration, meaning that the higher the doping concentration, the higher the number of free charge carriers present in the material.

How does the type of material affect the equilibrium distribution of electrons and holes?

The type of material plays a crucial role in the equilibrium distribution of electrons and holes. In a conductor, there is a high concentration of free electrons, while in an insulator, there are very few free charge carriers. In a semiconductor, the equilibrium distribution of electrons and holes can be controlled by varying the doping concentration, making it a key factor in the material's electrical properties.