Field distribution in semiconductors

In summary, the field distribution in the semiconductor while the field effect is screened by polarized carriers like electrons and holes. The Debiye length is important and the field on infinity is zero. A good resource for understanding pn junctions is the book The PN Junction Diode by Gerold W. Neudeck.
FrankygoestoHD
TL;DR Summary
Field distribution in the semiconductor.
Hello for everyone. I have a question according the field distribution in the semiconductor while the field effect. According to logic, the field is scrreened due to the field of the polarized carriers like electrons and holes. I know about the Debiye length. And that the field on the infinity equals to zero. What is meant under the last topic? What is the real destribution of the carriers of both types?

Physics news on Phys.org
FrankygoestoHD said:
Summary:: Field distribution in the semiconductor.

Hello for everyone. I have a question according the field distribution in the semiconductor while the field effect. According to logic, the field is scrreened due to the field of the polarized carriers like electrons and holes. I know about the Debiye length. And that the field on the infinity equals to zero. What is meant under the last topic? What is the real destribution of the carriers of both types?
It sounds like what you are asking for is a good primer on pn junctions. I recommend the book The PN Junction Diode by Gerold W. Neudeck which is volume 2 of the Modular Series on Solid State Devices.

https://books.google.com/books/about/The_PN_Junction_Diode.html?id=ET98QgAACAAJ

Last edited:
Likes FrankygoestoHD
bob012345 said:
It sounds like what you are asking for is a good primer on pn junctions. I recommend the book The PN Junction Diode by Gerold W. Neudeck which is volume 2 of the Modular Series on Solid State Devices.

https://books.google.com/books/about/The_PN_Junction_Diode.html?id=ET98QgAACAAJ
Thank You very much/ I will check this book. But the answer is easier. It is more convinient to use the model of Debieye length.

1. What is the significance of field distribution in semiconductors?

Field distribution in semiconductors refers to the spatial variation of the electric field within the material. This is important because it affects the movement of charge carriers and ultimately determines the electrical properties of the semiconductor.

2. How is field distribution affected by the doping level in a semiconductor?

The doping level, or concentration of impurities, in a semiconductor can greatly impact the field distribution. Higher doping levels can lead to a more uniform field distribution, while lower doping levels can result in a more non-uniform distribution.

3. What factors contribute to the non-uniformity of field distribution in semiconductors?

There are several factors that can contribute to non-uniform field distribution in semiconductors, including variations in doping concentration, surface effects, and the presence of defects or impurities within the material.

4. How does temperature affect field distribution in semiconductors?

As temperature increases, the mobility of charge carriers in a semiconductor also increases. This can lead to a more uniform field distribution, as charge carriers are able to move more freely and balance out any non-uniformities.

5. Can the field distribution in a semiconductor be controlled?

Yes, the field distribution in a semiconductor can be controlled through various techniques such as adjusting the doping concentration, using special device structures, and applying external electric fields. These methods can help to optimize the electrical properties of the semiconductor for specific applications.