Register to reply

Engineering Advice

by NoobEng
Tags: advice, engineering
Share this thread:
NoobEng
Feb13-13, 10:18 PM
P: 1
Hey, guys. I know this isn't the academic section, but I wanted to direct a question to the Engineers in here. Im currently in second year Mech/Aero, and I've been trying really hard, even taking some courses in the summer to focus more on the ones at hand, but it is really difficult for me to get As. The maximum I seem to get is either B/B+, while most of my grades of B-/C+. I understand the material, its just I can never seem to get higher no matter how much I practice.

This is ok for now. But I want to do well in the last 2 years as those count for masters/graduate studies.

So I was wondering if any of you could please share some of your past experience/wisdom and if you had any specific helpful tips? I know organization is key and all, considering time constraints, but do you have any really specific tips, or to avoid anything?

Any help/wisdom from past graduates would be really appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
A spray-on light show on four wheels: Darkside Scientific
Research project on accident-avoiding vehicle concluded
Smaller artificial magnetic conductors allow for more compact antenna hardware
etudiant
Feb14-13, 07:23 PM
PF Gold
P: 866
Is it possible for you to get some time with your profs?
Unlike us, they see you every day and see your work.
It is your responsibility to engage them and to find out what they are trying to get across to you.
Maybe just explain to them that you really love the course but worry that you are not getting the full benefit of it. They may be willing to show you some examples of A grade work and help you focus on the weaknesses in your current papers.
Without some feedback on the nature of the problem, you cannot begin to solve it.
Runei
Feb15-13, 03:06 AM
P: 140
The thing that has helped me a lot in studying and preparing for oral exams is to imagine that I have to teach the material to others.

I literally walk around at home and speak to myself (or actually to my invisible friends who I am teaching).

As you say its not like you don't understand the stuff, you just need to get the shovel completely under it all. For me, "teaching" helps, because you will have to find ways to explain it simply and differently from how you have been thinking about it for now. And sometimes you find yourself trying to explain something and you just can't. And then after some reflection, reading and trying different approaches to explaining it, you nail it.

I do this every single time I have exams.

Register to reply