Chernobyl project

by winnie_t
Tags: chernobyl, project
Share this thread:
winnie_t
Jan30-13, 03:24 PM
P: 23
Hi,

does anyone know how to find out more information on the Chernobyl project? (the steel dorm) i.e. which company is actually designing and dealing with it?

Also, is there anyway to find out the current average radiation level?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
Shisnu
Jan30-13, 04:38 PM
P: 16
The company building the new Sarcophagus is Novarka. Google can tell you more about them.

As for the average radiation level, it depends on where you are in the exclusion zone. Average air background dose rate is actually lower than cities due to things like decreased air pollution. However the soil in the zone varies in degrees of contamination and you can get hotspots with significantly higher dose rates than typical background levels. As you get closer to the CNPP itself the air dose rate increases due to the gamma emission from reactor no 4.
winnie_t
Jan31-13, 02:20 AM
Hi Shisnu,

Thanks for the information!

regarding the radiation level, I'm interested to find out the level around the red forest. Do you have any idea where I can gain such information? It would actually be really interesting to see the change in radiation level around the area.

nikkkom
Jan31-13, 03:12 AM
P: 595
Chernobyl project

Quote Quote by winnie_t View Post
regarding the radiation level, I'm interested to find out the level around the red forest. Do you have any idea where I can gain such information? It would actually be really interesting to see the change in radiation level around the area.
I found this map (attached).
Red Forest used to be to the West of the station. On the map you see the fallout track going in that direction, with contamination of more than 1000 Curies (37 TBq) per sq.km.
Attached Thumbnails
Chernobyl-map.jpg  
winnie_t
Jan31-13, 03:16 AM
The map is amazing! thanks Nikkkom!
Have you got any idea when the data on the map is referring to?
a.ua.
Feb1-13, 06:56 AM
P: 119
Quote Quote by winnie_t View Post

Current state of the Red Forest
http://chornobyl.in.ua/en/current-state-red-forest.html

Red Forest: Liquidation
http://chornobyl.in.ua/en/red-forest...tion-1986.html

Word of the liquidator.
Measured in person ( May 1986). On the pavement in the center of the highway near the edge of the red forest background - 32 R / h, on the side near the trees - 50 R / h Appliances - DP5-B, DP3 (tank inside BRDM)
Captain Greenberg came to 80 R / h to determine background contamination or not shining everywhere, the instrument DP5-B. After a walk through the woods total single dose it was 56 R.
1R = 10 mSv
Kutt
Feb14-13, 12:00 AM
P: 236
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...icle-1.1263037

A 6,500 square foot portion of roof atop the damaged turbine hall next to the ruined Chernobyl reactor #4 has collapsed under the weight of snow early today.

Fortunately, this did not affect radiation levels at the decommissioned plant and no one was injured.

Register to reply