Register to reply

Cinnamaldehyde from cinnamic acid

by deep838
Tags: acid, cinnamaldehyde, cinnamic
Share this thread:
deep838
Feb15-13, 04:03 AM
P: 105
Can somebody please tell me how to convert cinnamic acid to cinnamaldehyde? I was planning to first make it into the alcohol and then use PCC, but then wondered that reducing the acid might also reduce the α β unsaturated carbons too. Is there any reagent that would do the trick without causing any further troubles?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Building the ideal rest stop for protons
Direct reaction heavy atoms to catalyst surface demonstrated
Cagey material acts as alcohol factory
AGNuke
Feb15-13, 05:25 AM
PF Gold
P: 456
I don't think if you'll use a mild reducing agent, it will disturb unsaturated atoms.
deep838
Feb15-13, 06:21 AM
Quote Quote by AGNuke View Post
I don't think if you'll use a mild reducing agent, it will disturb unsaturated atoms.
So will NaBH4 work? Or Lindlar's? Or Pd with BaSO4?

AGNuke
Feb15-13, 07:43 AM
PF Gold
P: 456
Cinnamaldehyde from cinnamic acid

If you want to use Lindlar, do it so via Rosenmund reduction. I leave the work up to you, now you have got the hint.
deep838
Feb15-13, 07:48 AM
Quote Quote by AGNuke View Post
If you want to use Lindlar, do it so via Rosenmund reduction. I leave the work up to you, now you have got the hint.
Thanks.
chemisttree
Feb15-13, 09:22 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
I would go with lithium tri(tertbutoxy)aluminum hydride under these conditions.

Any time you use Pd reagents with hydrogen you risk some cross reactivity with olefins.

Register to reply