Strong reduction of organic acid group

In summary, the speakers are discussing ways to reduce a carboxylic functional group in organic synthesis without using harsh chemicals or expensive catalysts. They consider partial reduction to primary alcohols, creating aldehydes or acyl halides, and converting it into an ester. However, they also mention the possibility of using other acid-base masking reactions and the need to specify the desired monomer for polymerization. They ultimately conclude that it may be easier to use a different structural molecule for the polymerization process.
chad kimsey
I've been thumbing back through my organic synthesis book to try and remember how to reduce a carboxylic functional group. I know how to do partial reduction to primary alcohols, or create aldehydes and or acyl halides. But isn't there a way to completely reduce it all the way to a hydrocarbon without too much trouble and nasty chemicals or expensive PtO catalysts? Haven't found a way yet...just wondering if anyone out there knew how to do this I'm trying to prep an organic species for polymerization, but the acidic group is a reactive site and I do not want the other monomers to bond there so I need to get rid of it completely

Engineering news on Phys.org
Wouldn't it be easier to convert it into an ester?

Yeah, its almost never easier to get rid of a c-c bond than it is to esterify or amidify an acid. There's a half-dozen other acid-base masking reactions you could also do. I think DrDru answered this. It should be closed.

I'm trying to remove the oxygens, an ester is not the product I need. I may have to try a different structural molecule for the polymer i have in mind...I was thinking it could fully be reduced but can't remember how.

Maybe you could specify your monomer and what you really want. If you want to do a polymerization, your molecule probably contains other groups sensitive to reduction.

1. What is a strong reduction of organic acid group?

A strong reduction of organic acid group refers to the process of converting a carboxylic acid group (-COOH) into a primary alcohol group (-CH2OH) through the use of a strong reducing agent, such as lithium aluminum hydride or sodium borohydride. This reduction results in a decrease in the acidity of the molecule and can also lead to changes in physical and chemical properties.

2. Why is a strong reduction of organic acid group important in organic chemistry?

A strong reduction of organic acid group is important in organic chemistry because it allows for the synthesis of alcohols, which are versatile and commonly used functional groups in organic compounds. This reduction also allows for the conversion of carboxylic acids into other useful compounds, such as aldehydes and ketones.

3. What are some applications of strong reduction of organic acid group?

The strong reduction of organic acid group has various applications in organic chemistry. It is commonly used in the synthesis of pharmaceuticals, natural products, and other industrial products. It is also used in the production of food additives, fragrances, and flavors.

4. How is a strong reduction of organic acid group carried out?

The strong reduction of organic acid group is typically carried out by adding the reducing agent to the reaction mixture in the presence of a solvent, such as diethyl ether or tetrahydrofuran. The reaction is usually carried out under reflux conditions at elevated temperatures, and the progress of the reaction can be monitored using analytical techniques, such as gas chromatography or nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy.

5. Are there any risks associated with strong reduction of organic acid group?

Like any chemical reaction, there are risks associated with the strong reduction of organic acid group. The reducing agents used in this reaction are highly reactive and can be hazardous if not handled properly. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and wear appropriate protective gear when carrying out this reaction.