The Hydrodynamic and Thermal boundary layers

In summary: I don't know how to explain Reynolds numbers other than to say they're related to the size of the turbulent fluctuations.In summary, laminar flow becomes unstable due to instabilities in the flow. Turbulent boundary layers are harder to predict but have many advantages. The viscosity does not change when the flow transitions from laminar to turbulent.
Urmi Roy
Hi,

I'm doing 'Heat and Mass transfer' at college and we're covering the topic on the hydrodynamic and thermal boundary layers.

I have a couple of questions, the answers to which are not given explicitly in any of my textbooks.

1. During open flow, why does laminar flow eventually have to become turbulent and why does that involve an increase in thickness of the layer?

2. Viscosity is due to 1. exchange of molecules from one layer to another in a fluid(momentum exchange) and 2. force of cohesion.

Therefore in laminar flow, where the flow is a lot more organized, and the adjacent layers stick to each-other, there would be larger force of cohesion. However, in turbulent flow, there is a lot of mixing of the molecules, so it would contribute to the create of large viscous forces.

Therefore, is the force of viscosity greater in laminar or in turbulent flow?

3. Heat exchange is greater in the turbulent layer, but so is the force of friction. So in practical life, would we prefer turbulent flow or laminar? ( So far I have formed an impression that the turbulent boundary layer is disadvantageous and unpredictable because its so 'messy' so I'll be really surprised if it turns out to be the better option').

Engineering news on Phys.org
A laminar boundary layer will become unstable due to instabilities in the flow. Disturbances such as free stream turbulence, surface roughness, surface vibration, noise ... Will excite instability modes within the boundary layer and cause the flow to transition. It is a very complicated process that is still not fully understood.

As for the thickness, because of the random velocity fluctuations momentum transport is significantly increased in a turbulent boundary layer. This results in the boundary layer growing at a much higher rate when the flow is turbulent.

When a flow is turbulent, viscous forces are less important than the effects of turbulence. It is not really correct to say viscous forces are weaker in laminar flows. Although the maximum shear stress will likely be less in a laminar flow (because of smaller velocity gradients) but the actual viscosity does not change. Turbulent velocity fluctuations are signicantly more effective at transporting momentum than viscous diffusion is and as a result viscous stresses can usually be ignored in turbulent flows except very close to a wall.

Whether or not a laminar or turbulent boundary layer is preferred depends on the situation. It is true that turbulent boundary layers are harded to predict but they do have many advantages. If I want a large amount of heat transfer than a turbulent boundary layer is better. If I want a high rate of mixing to say quickly and efficiently mix air and fuel than turbulent is better. Turbulent boundary layers are also usually better at resisting separation. However like you said the friction is larger and this can be a significant source of drag for vehicles such as aircraft.

Thanks for the reply!

RandomGuy88 said:
When a flow is turbulent, viscous forces are less important than the effects of turbulence. It is not really correct to say viscous forces are weaker in laminar flows. Although the maximum shear stress will likely be less in a laminar flow (because of smaller velocity gradients) but the actual viscosity does not change. Turbulent velocity fluctuations are signicantly more effective at transporting momentum than viscous diffusion is and as a result viscous stresses can usually be ignored in turbulent flows except very close to a wall.

Hmm...I still don't completely get this...I mean the molecules of the fluid in turbulent flow will have too much kinetic energy to be able to maintain organised layers (as in laminar flow). This seems to be kind of analogous to the effect of temperature rise in a liquid (viscosity decreases with increase in temperature)

On the other hand, for gases, as temperature increases, the viscosity increases. So, for transition of a gas from laminar to turbulent, the viscosity would actually increase? Lol, this doesn't make sense!

The viscosity does NOT change when the flow transitions from laminar to turbulent. Your argument of the molecules having more kinetic energy in a turbulent flow is essentially saying that viscosity depends on the bulk velocity of the fluid, which would mean even if a laminar flow was accelerating the viscosity would be changing. Which is not true except perhaps at high speeds when there are large temperature changes. As the speed increases the bulk kinetic energy of the fluid would change but not the kinetic energy of the molecules relative to other molecules. The length scale of the turbulent fluctuations is significantly larger than the mean free path of the molecules so it does not effect motion on a molecular scale.

As a flow accelerates the relative importance of viscosity compared to inertial forces decreases. This is characterized by the Reynolds numbers which is the ratio of inertial to viscous forces. The Reynolds number of turbulent flows is typically fairly high so the transport of momentum by inertial forces is significantly stronger than transport by viscous forces.

Thanks,that was a really good explanation!

I'd also like to point out that viscosity decreases with increasing temperature only in a liquid. In a gas, it is the opposite.

1. What is the hydrodynamic boundary layer?

The hydrodynamic boundary layer is a thin region of fluid flow that forms near a solid surface. It is characterized by a gradual change in velocity from the stationary surface to the free stream flow. This layer is important in determining the drag force and heat transfer in a fluid flow.

2. How does the hydrodynamic boundary layer affect flow behavior?

The hydrodynamic boundary layer causes a significant decrease in flow velocity near the surface, resulting in increased friction and drag forces. It also affects the transfer of heat and mass between the fluid and the surface, leading to changes in temperature and concentration profiles.

3. What is the thermal boundary layer?

The thermal boundary layer is a region of fluid flow where the temperature of the fluid changes significantly due to heat transfer with a solid surface. It is formed in a similar way to the hydrodynamic boundary layer and is important in determining the heat transfer rate and temperature distribution in a fluid flow.

4. How does the thickness of the thermal boundary layer change with flow conditions?

The thickness of the thermal boundary layer depends on the properties of the fluid and the surface, as well as the flow velocity. As the velocity increases, the thickness of the thermal boundary layer decreases due to increased convective heat transfer. Similarly, a decrease in fluid viscosity leads to a thinner thermal boundary layer.

5. What are the applications of studying the hydrodynamic and thermal boundary layers?

Understanding the hydrodynamic and thermal boundary layers is crucial in various engineering fields, such as aerodynamics, heat transfer, and chemical engineering. It is used to design more efficient and streamlined aircraft, improve heat exchanger performance, and optimize chemical reaction rates. It also has applications in environmental sciences, such as studying the dispersion of pollutants in water bodies.