Help Regarding Application of Bernoulli in a Boundary Layer

In summary, the question on the aerodynamics exam asked about the application of the Bernoulli equation in a boundary layer, which is formed through friction in the flow. Some people believe that the premise of the question is flawed because the equation requires inviscid flow to be properly applied. However, the professor has explained that Bernoulli can still be applied in rotational flow and in the presence of friction, as it is an energy conservation statement. The losses in pressure can be quantified using the equation to compute the viscous drag, which is commonly used in the study of airfoils.
jdgotts
TL;DR Summary
Professor asked to explain why Bernoulli works in a boundary layer, and I don't believe it can. Any explanations that agree with his reasoning out there?
Hey all,

I recently took an aerodynamics exam that included the question "Please Explain how the Bernoulli Equation can be Applied Inside a Boundary Layer". Now, it is my belief that the Bernoulli equation, defined by my textbook as P+0.5ρV2=ℂ, requires inviscid flow to be properly applied. Because a boundary layer is formed through skin friction and friction in the flow, a boundary layer can therefore not exist in an inviscid flow, i.e. the premise of the question is flawed.

Where Bernoulli works, no boundary layer, where there is a boundary layer, no Bernoulli (as far as I understand it).

My professor has since responded to the widespread criticism of this question with the following explanation:
"Bernoulli's principle can always be applied along a streamline, the latter of which can exist in rotational flow. Bernoulli therefore can be applied in rotational flow, hence in the boundary layer. Bernoulli exists for compressible, time variant, and friction flow. Recall how we used Bernoulli's principle to equate the loss of pressure to drag force in the airfoil inside wind tunnel problem? We were able to do this with the Bernoulli equation despite the existence of viscous flow (if it were inviscid, there would be no drag)."

If anyone could explain either why his explanation makes sense, or explain why or where his explanation is flawed, I'd greatly appreciate it. I feel like the solution that Bernoulli works along a streamline, and streamlines exist in rotational flow, therefore Bernoulli can be applied in viscous flows and boundary layers, is oversimplified. A staggering amount of the internet seems to agree with me based on some Googling, but I can't really disprove what he wrote as his solution with what I know.

Thanks for any help you're able to give!

Physics news on Phys.org
In the derivation of the Bernoulli equation that you've quoted (there are more variants) you need to assume steady, inviscid barotropic (i.e. no strong shocks) flow with a conservative external force field (like gravity). In that case you can derive that the following equation must hold along a streamline:

$$ \frac{1}{2} | \vec{u} |^2 + \int \frac{dp}{\rho} + F = constant $$
(Edit: for some reason I cannot get Latex to work anymore...)

So, what you compute here, the 'constant', is in fact the total pressure. If you use this equation in a viscous flow then this means the equation is not constant anymore. So, the way you can use the Bernoulli equation in a flow which includes losses (e.g. viscous flow) is to quantify the losses. In the end, Bernoulli is an energy conservation statement.

You can compute the loss of total pressure in a boundary layer if you have a measurement of the pressure and velocity. For an airfoil that is actually a common way to compute drag. You measure (with a pitot tube for example) the flow behind an airfoil. You see the dip in total pressure (pressure head) due to the boundary layer and you can use that, together with Bernoulli to compute the viscous drag. I think that is what your professor is referring to.

What is Bernoulli's principle and how does it apply to boundary layers?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. In the context of boundary layers, this principle can be applied to explain the decrease in pressure near the surface of an object in a fluid flow due to the increase in velocity of the fluid near the surface.

Why is the application of Bernoulli's principle important in studying boundary layers?

The application of Bernoulli's principle is important in studying boundary layers because it helps us understand the behavior of fluids near solid surfaces. This is particularly useful in aerodynamics, where the interaction between a fluid and an object's surface can greatly affect the object's motion.

What factors influence the application of Bernoulli's principle in boundary layers?

The application of Bernoulli's principle in boundary layers is influenced by several factors, including the fluid's viscosity, the object's shape and surface roughness, and the fluid's velocity and density.

How is Bernoulli's principle used to calculate lift and drag in aerodynamics?

Bernoulli's principle is used in the calculation of lift and drag in aerodynamics by considering the pressure differences between the upper and lower surfaces of an object, which is caused by the difference in velocity of the fluid. This pressure difference results in a net force, which can be separated into lift and drag components.

What are the limitations of using Bernoulli's principle in boundary layer analysis?

While Bernoulli's principle is a useful tool in understanding boundary layers, it has limitations. It assumes that the fluid is inviscid (has no internal friction) and incompressible, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of turbulence, which can greatly influence boundary layer behavior.