Register to reply

DC Motor: Wooden vs Metal frame/shaft

by Curious007
Tags: frame or shaft, metal, motor, wooden
Share this thread:
Curious007
Feb16-13, 12:40 AM
P: 28
In DC motor or even in AC motor, if we use wooden frame and shaft, would it be advantageous than using Metal frame and shaft? Assume that would can with stand any temperature.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Tiny UAVs and hummingbirds are put to test
Britain to trial driverless cars from 2015
NIST corrosion lab tests suggest need for underground gas tank retrofits
256bits
Feb16-13, 12:31 PM
P: 1,425
Advantageous of using wood rather than metal in what respect?
price, performance, durability,....
You are asking a very open question.
SteamKing
Feb16-13, 02:37 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,334
Well, we know that wood is much stronger than metal, don't we?

And that wood can withstand higher temperatures than metal, because wood doesn't burn, right?

Curious007
Feb16-13, 03:38 PM
DC Motor: Wooden vs Metal frame/shaft

Well the advantages are many. I took wood as example. We can go for Fiber Glass or Cabon fiber, it will make it costly. But isn't it we would have very very light motor for Bikes than Metal frame one.
And I believe we can use any non conducting material for Frame and Shaft, right?
AlephZero
Feb16-13, 04:29 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,959
What's the real question here?

Of course the "best choice" depends on the situation. If you invent arbitrary different usage scenarios, you will get different "best" choices of material. But so what?
Curious007
Feb16-13, 10:44 PM
I was thinking to develop a very light weight DC Motor which will be 5-9 HP and equivalent to 100-150 CC gas engine for RC plane and Small e-bike.
NascentOxygen
Feb17-13, 05:50 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,165
Quote Quote by Curious007 View Post
In DC motor or even in AC motor, if we use wooden frame and shaft, would it be advantageous than using Metal frame and shaft?
I think you'll find the iron stator cores (poles) are bolted to the steel case meaning the case does double dutyproviding a low reluctance magnetic circuit linking one pole to the next. If you manufacture the case in fibreglass, you'll have to add iron to join the poles.
Curious007
Feb17-13, 02:30 PM
Can't we have everything in Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber including nuts, bolts, shaft, frame etc except Coil and Magnets to make it complete high performance motor?
SteamKing
Feb17-13, 02:52 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,334
You might find fibreglass or carbon fibre fasteners (nuts, bolts, etc.) a bit hard to come by. The properties of these materials don't lend themselves to standing up well to being twisted over a long period of time.
Curious007
Feb17-13, 08:41 PM
So in that case only for frame we can use Carbon fiber and then use Metal for shaft? Looks like I might be able to cut the weight by 30-40% max if I use Carbon frame.
NascentOxygen
Feb17-13, 09:15 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,165
As I indicated, you still need something like a cylinder of thick magnetic material (e.g., steel ) inside the frame to bolt the poles to and provide them with a complete magnetic path.

I'd say the steel case also affords magnetic shielding. Without a complete shield, the rapidly rotating fields would generate interference outside the case, causing things to vibrate and inducing nuisance voltages.

Register to reply