Creating a Equation to Destroy the Sun

In summary, an expert summarizer of content notes that it would take x amount of energy to destroy the sun, and that the mass of the sun is 330,000 times the mass of Earth. Additionally, the sun has a greater gravitational binding energy than Earth, and it would take a significant amount of time to actually destroy the sun.
hgivens07
Alright, Not the best at math and need help with find a equation for the amount of energy needed for destroying the sun. This isn't based on real life, based on a TV series and I'm nerdy enough to want to know how much energy it would take lol. I have a number for how much energy it would take to destroy the earth, so I'm hoping it would be easy enough to convert. Not sure what numbers you'll need, so I'm going to probably going to pot a few extra.

Energy needed to destroy Earth = x

Mass of Earth = 6 x 10²⁴ kg
Gravity of Earth = 1
Diameter of Earth = 12,756 km
Circumference of Earth = 40,000 km

Mass of sun = 330,000 kg times Earth's mass or (2×10^30 kg)
Gravity of sun = 28 times Earth's gravity
Diameter of Sun = 1.4×10^6 km
Circumference of the sun = 4,300,000 km

Energy needed to destroy sun = y

Again not trying to solve for "x", trying to solve for y.

So I'm assuming that since we have "x" the amount of energy needed to destroy earth, we can use that number along with the size of the earth, to determine the amount needed to kill something as big as the sun.
The reason I posted Circumference and Gravity is because there are 330,000 times as much mass on the sun then there is on eath, you have to push each of them 28 times as hard, and you have to spread your energy over a larger area, because not only is the sun more massive (mass) than the earth, but it is also much bigger(area) than the earth. plus, if you don't move the particles far enough, fast enough, it all just comes crashing back together, and you haven't accomplished your goal. It's highly possible that my logic is incorrect or I'm missing things, if so please let me know.

So I'm hoping I explained this good enough and it's really simple. If you need more numbers let me know, I'm willing to go find them. Just give some feed back if this time of equation is even possible, and I appreciate the time anyone takes to even read this let alone try to solve it.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I was thinking in terms of gravitational binding energy too ... though the terms "kill" and "destroy" need more careful definition to be sure. How damaged is "destroyed"? Could you just wait? (The Sun is due to destroy itself in a bit... OK, a bit longer...)

Thank you that equation actually was exactly what I was looking for. Can't believe you were able to decphyer my horrible explanation. Thanks so much!

Note that it will take a couple million years of the sun's output to produce enough energy to take it apart.

Maybe you should start small first. There is a semi-related web page dedicated to destroying Earth.

1. How would you create an equation to destroy the sun?

Creating an equation to destroy the sun is a purely hypothetical and impossible task. The sun is a massive, self-sustaining nuclear reactor that is constantly generating energy through fusion reactions. It is not within our current technological capabilities to create an equation that could destroy the sun.

2. Can you explain the science behind destroying the sun?

The science behind destroying the sun would involve finding a way to disrupt the delicate balance of nuclear fusion reactions that sustain the sun's energy output. This would require immense amounts of energy and technology far beyond our current capabilities. It is also important to note that destroying the sun would have catastrophic consequences for the entire solar system.

3. Is it possible for a single equation to destroy the sun?

No, it is not possible for a single equation to destroy the sun. The energy generated by the sun is a result of many complex and interconnected processes, and disrupting one equation would not be enough to destroy it.

4. Could creating an equation to destroy the sun be used as a weapon?

No, creating an equation to destroy the sun would not be a viable weapon. As mentioned before, the consequences of destroying the sun would be catastrophic for the entire solar system, including Earth. It is also important to consider the immense amount of resources and technology it would require, making it an impractical and unrealistic weapon.

5. Are there any potential benefits or reasons for creating an equation to destroy the sun?

No, there are no potential benefits or reasons for creating an equation to destroy the sun. The sun is essential for the survival of life on Earth and plays a crucial role in maintaining the balance of our solar system. Any attempt to destroy it would have devastating consequences and serve no purpose.