Earth's orbit around the sun -- looking for an equation

In summary, Roman is looking for an equation to calculate a position in x and y, and is having trouble distinguishing an elliptical Earth orbit from a circle. He is helped by Fresh and Janus, who provide a summary of the content.
Romanko
Hi, I'm looking for some help please. I'm struggling to find an equation of the Earth orbiting around the sun. I don't need to include the mass of the sun and the gravity laws, etc. Just the equation to calculate a position in x and y. Can anybody help me please?
My idea is to put the orbit inside of a software where I have coordinates x y and z, the sun being on (0,0) and the Earth orbiting around it.

Thanks for your help!
Roman.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Romanko said:
Hi, I'm looking for some help please. I'm struggling to find an equation of the Earth orbiting around the sun. I don't need to include the mass of the sun and the gravity laws, etc. Just the equation to calculate a position in x and y. Can anybody help me please?
My idea is to put the orbit inside of a software where I have coordinates x y and z, the sun being on (0,0) and the Earth orbiting around it.

Thanks for your help!
Roman.
You could use the equation of an ellipse: ##\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1## since both semi-axis ##a,b## are known. Next you only have to shift the coordinates in a way, that the sun isn't at a focus but at ##(0,0)## instead, although it's probably easier to keep the sun at a focus point.

Likes Romanko
If you just want to graph the shape of the orbit, you can use
$$ r = \frac{a (1-e^2)}{1+e \cos q}$$

r is the radial distance from the Sun
a is the semi-major axis of the orbit (average orbital radius)
e is the eccentricity of the orbit
q is the angle between the object and perihelion (closest approach to the Sun)

This will give results in polar coordinates which you can then convert to xy coordinates if you need to.
For the earth: a = ~ 1.496e6 km e = ~0.017 ( if you need more accurate values, you can get them from the Wikipedia article for the Earth.

If you are looking to calculate the Earth's position over time, there is no single equation method of determining this. There are methods that use iteration, where you take the output of an equation and put it back into the equation as a variable, and repeat until you get an accuracy in your answer you can live with. But these methods require the use of orbital mechanic that do make use of the mass of the Sun and the Laws of Gravity.

Likes Romanko
Thanks a lot Fresh and Janus, at the beginning when I put the formula into the software, I thought there was a mistake because I was seeing what looked like a circle. It was after I zoomed, and focused better when I actually could see the ellipse. This make me think that all the diagrams that I studied my whole life in school are actually an exaggeration of the ellipse!

Romanko said:
Thanks a lot Fresh and Janus, at the beginning when I put the formula into the software, I thought there was a mistake because I was seeing what looked like a circle. It was after I zoomed, and focused better when I actually could see the ellipse. This make me think that all the diagrams that I studied my whole life in school are actually an exaggeration of the ellipse!

it's just that, while the Earth's orbit is an ellipse, it is an ellipse with very low eccentricity, so it is almost a circle.

Likes Romanko and fresh_42
Romanko said:
Here's the inner solar system out to Mars as seen from above, The Sun is marked by the cross.
Venus and Earth's orbits are pretty much impossible to distinguish from circles with the Sun at their centers.
solsystm.png

Even the more elliptical orbits of Mercury and Mars would be difficult to tell were ellipses if it weren't for their offset relative to the Sun. for example, here's Mars orbit without the sun and other planet orbits for reference:
solsystm2.png

Attachments

• solsystm.png
    solsystm.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 874
  • solsystm2.png
    solsystm2.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 840
Likes Romanko and fresh_42
Amazing, the whole solar system orbit concept that I had in my head was wrong... Thanks!

1. What is the equation for Earth's orbit around the sun?

The equation for Earth's orbit around the sun is known as Kepler's third law, which states that the square of a planet's orbital period (T) is proportional to the cube of its average distance from the sun (a). This can be mathematically expressed as T^2 = (4π^2/μ)a^3, where μ is the gravitational parameter of the sun and is equal to the product of the gravitational constant (G) and the mass of the sun (M).

2. How do we measure Earth's distance from the sun?

Earth's distance from the sun can be measured using a unit called the astronomical unit (AU), which is defined as the average distance between Earth and the sun. It is equivalent to about 149.6 million kilometers or 93 million miles. This distance can be determined using various methods such as radar ranging, parallax measurements, and geometrical calculations based on Kepler's laws.

3. Does Earth's orbit around the sun always stay the same?

No, Earth's orbit around the sun is not a perfect circle and it is constantly changing due to various factors such as the gravitational pull of other planets, the sun's own motion, and the effects of general relativity. These changes cause Earth's orbit to be slightly elliptical and its orbital speed to vary throughout the year.

4. What is the shape of Earth's orbit around the sun?

Earth's orbit around the sun is an ellipse, with the sun located at one of the two foci of the ellipse. However, the eccentricity of Earth's orbit is very close to zero, making it almost circular, with a deviation of only about 1.7%. This means that the shape of Earth's orbit is very close to a perfect circle.

5. How long does it take for Earth to complete one orbit around the sun?

Earth takes approximately 365.24 days, or one year, to complete one orbit around the sun. This is known as its orbital period, and it is the basis for our calendar system. However, due to the slight variations in Earth's orbital speed, the length of a year is slightly longer than 365 days, leading to the addition of a leap day every four years to keep our calendars in sync with Earth's orbit.