Register to reply

How to do local Physics Analysis ?

by welatiger
Tags: analysis, local, physics
Share this thread:
welatiger
Feb17-13, 07:07 AM
P: 82
You Know all the LHC machine at CERN, and the CMS detector (Compact Muon Solenoid)

This detector run a CMSSW ( CMS Software ) on CERN machines, can i download that software on my local machine, run it and do physics analysis??? if yes how to download it, and what is it's size??

Thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Comb on a chip' powers new atomic clock design
Quantum leap in lasers brightens future for quantum computing
Enhanced NIST instrument enables high-speed chemical imaging of tissues
Vanadium 50
Feb17-13, 09:02 AM
Mentor
P: 16,102
No you cannot download it - you are not part of the CMS Collaboration. Second, if you were to download it it would do you no good without the data. This data is many petabytes in size.
mfb
Feb17-13, 09:50 AM
Mentor
P: 11,573
I think 1-2 older experiments released a part of their source data and analysis software, or plan to do so.
I'm not sure if your local computer can do any interesting analysis - the datasets are smaller than those of current experiments, but they are still large. In addition, it might take some time to get used to the analysis software.

welatiger
Feb18-13, 04:29 AM
How to do local Physics Analysis ?

Oh, thank you, i'm really frustrated.
So how to obtain a primary CERN account, Is it necessary to be at CERN office.
Vanadium 50
Feb18-13, 05:33 AM
Mentor
You need to join one of the experiments, and you need to put in a certain minimum amount of time - usually a year - doing tasks of general service to the experiment. The experiments have put in literally millions of hours operating, aligning, calibrating, etc. the detectors, and they don't let people say "OK, now that you chumps have done all the hard work, send me the data and I will analyze it." Also, each experiment has a mandated contribution of around 15 kCHF per member per year to the "common fund" to cover consumables like magnetic media for data storage, gas for the detector, etc.
welatiger
Feb18-13, 05:53 AM
So, there is no way to do physics analysis locally expect by using the individual packages, i use for MonteCarlo generation of data (LanHep -> MadGraph -> Pythia -> Geant4 -> ROOT -> Physics Analysis), and there are some real data for training available at the CMS website.

Is that suitable ?
Vanadium 50
Feb18-13, 06:58 AM
Mentor
Let me say this again. You will not have access to real data unless you join an experiment.

Register to reply