How Do Computers Work? (At Most Basic Level)

In summary, computers use switches and logic gates to process information and execute software, similar to how valves work in a hydraulic computer. The process starts with the operating system loading the software into memory and the central processing unit executing the instructions within the software. The complexity of computers can be broken down to switches, molecules, and atoms.
kyphysics
It's late/early...I'm procrastinating on a project...

Thought I'd ask a "dumb" question to satisfy my curiosity. I know computers have hardware (physical machine) and software (from the operating system to other programs/apps that can be downloaded onto the hardware to perform certain functions)...

But, how exactly does the computer "read" or interact with that software? Feel free to treat me like a 3rd grader, who is dumber than a door knob and ignorant of everything computer-related.

Once someone inserts a piece of software into the hardware to be downloaded and run it...what the heck actually goes on after that and how does the machine "process" the software to do the stuff it is designed to do?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Switches ... It's all about switches.

As soon as you turn the computer on, the current goes through pre-defined circuits and ends up doing an action. With additional software, you are setting the switches differently to "customize" the output.

The mechanical equivalent would be the valve body of an automatic transmission, which is really a very simple hydraulic computer.

ou0m1ol46m721.jpg

4l60e Hydraulic Diagram.jpg

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes Algr, kyphysics and berkeman
May I suggest the videos of Ben Eater
https://www.youtube.com/c/BenEater

He shows by building how to make a computer, how to write software, and
how to execute that software.

• Wow
Likes sbrothy, jedishrfu and kyphysics
jack action said:
It's all about switches.
... or gates, such as AND gates, OR gates, and others. This wikipedia article shows a couple of animated GIFs of very simple CPUs that are able to add two bits - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adder... often,add 8, 16, 32, etc. bit binary numbers.

More capable CPUs can be designed and fabricated by chaining together collections of the kinds of devices depicted in that article.

• Wow
Likes DrClaude, jedishrfu and kyphysics
kyphysics said:
Once someone inserts a piece of software into the hardware to be downloaded and run it...what the heck actually goes on after that and how does the machine "process" the software to do the stuff it is designed to do?
The answer is probably more complicated than a 3rd grader is able to understand beyond a very cursory level. For the sake of simplicity, let's assume that said computer is equipped with an operating system and file system. When you click a executable file icon or type the name of the executable file in a command prompt, the operating system (OS) loads the file into memory. The computer's central processing unit (CPU) starts executing the machine instructions that are contained in the executable file, starting from what's called the file's entry point. The CPU continues processing the instructions in the file until the program ends, either because of the logic of the program or due to the user ending it.

Likes kyphysics
Mark44 said:
This 9th edition in hardcover is over $1000 at Amazon. The 10th edition is much more reasonable at $31.40 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/078974984X/?tag=pfamazon01-20
GGAAAACCCKKK ! I didn't even notice the price, just cut/pasted the link from my Amazon orders. I bought it last year for a young relative and it was $16.00

Mark44 said:
... or gates, such as AND gates, OR gates, and others.
But logic gates are really just a bunch of switches:

LOGIC GATES USING SWITCH
AND GATE USING SWITCH
and-gate-sw.png

OR GATE USING SWITCH
or-gate-sw.png

NOT GATE USING SWITCH
not-gate-sw.png

And when done with transistors, it looks like this:

Logic_11.png

Likes rbelli1
jack action said:
But logic gates are really just a bunch of switches:
But switches are just a bunch of molecules, and molecules are just a bunch of atoms. It just depends on how far down you want to go to explain the workings of a computer.

Mark44 said:
@kyphysics, why the skeptical emoji on my post #8?
$1,000

When I was a teen I read Code by Charles Petzold and The Definitive Guide to How Computers Do Math by Clive Maxfield. These both evolved my interest in fundamental computers such as Ben Eater's 8-Bit computer.

1. How does a computer process information?

A computer processes information using its central processing unit (CPU), which is responsible for executing instructions and performing calculations. The CPU retrieves data from the computer's memory, performs operations on that data, and then stores the results back in memory.

2. What is binary code and how does it work?

Binary code is the language that a computer uses to communicate and process information. It is made up of a series of 0s and 1s, also known as binary digits or bits. Each bit represents a single piece of information, such as a letter, number, or symbol. The computer reads these bits and converts them into meaningful data using its programming and software.

3. How do computers store and retrieve data?

Computers store data in the form of binary code on various forms of memory, such as hard drives or solid-state drives. When data is needed, the computer retrieves it from the appropriate memory location and sends it to the CPU for processing. The speed and efficiency of this process can depend on factors such as the type of memory and the computer's processing power.

4. What is the role of software in a computer?

Software is a set of instructions or programs that tell the computer what to do. It includes everything from the operating system, which manages the computer's hardware and software resources, to applications like web browsers and word processors. Without software, a computer would not be able to perform any tasks or process any information.

5. How do input and output devices work?

Input devices, such as keyboards and mice, allow us to enter data and instructions into the computer. The computer then processes this input and produces output on devices such as monitors and printers. Output devices display or present the processed information in a way that is understandable to the user. Together, input and output devices allow us to interact with the computer and utilize its processing capabilities.