Register to reply

Determine if vector b is a linear combination of vectors a1, a2, a3.

by roids
Tags: linear combination
Share this thread:
roids
Feb18-13, 05:05 PM
P: 3
Hi guys. I've solved an exercise but the solution sheet says what doesn't make sense to me. Could you please help with this problem?

a1=[1, -2, 0], a2=[0, 1, 2], a3=[5, -6, 8], b=[2, -1, 6].

b is a linear combination when there exist scalars x1, x2, x3 such that x1*a1 + x2*a2 + x3*a3 = b. right?

I put a's in a coefficient matrix and b in the augmented column. [a1 a2 a3 | b]. Row-reduced it produces a consistent system (although I get x3 a free variable - third row all zeroes). But the solution sheet says b is not a linear combination of the a vectors. Where is the catch? Should the RREF have a unique solution?

Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
tiny-tim
Feb18-13, 05:14 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
hi roids! welcome to pf!
Quote Quote by roids View Post
I put a's in a coefficient matrix and b in the augmented column. [a1 a2 a3 | b]. Row-reduced it produces a consistent system (although I get x3 a free variable - third row all zeroes).
show us what you got
jbunniii
Feb18-13, 05:24 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,288
Your solution sheet is wrong: ##2 a_1 + 3 a_2 + 0 a_3 = b##.

Simon Bridge
Feb18-13, 05:36 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 12,870

Argh: jbunnii beat me to it.
roids
Feb18-13, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the responses fine gentlemen. The book with the solutions is David Lay - Linear Algebra, fourth edition.

Can you please take a look at the same problem someone asked here, where the answerer said that no, b is not a linear combination? http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=531233

While you and this someone's from Berkeley document say that b is indeed is a linear combination: http://math.berkeley.edu/~honigska/M54HW01Sols.pdf (page 6, exercise 14)

I attached the original problem and solution from the book. Can it be that the book is asking to not combine the a vectors and just test them one by one with b to see if they separately are linear combinations of b?
Attached Thumbnails
ex.PNG   ans.PNG  
jbunniii
Feb18-13, 06:54 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by roids View Post
Can you please take a look at the same problem someone asked here, where the answerer said that no, b is not a linear combination? http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=531233
[edit] OK, I had to re-read the thread, and actually it is agreeing with us. I'll elaborate below.
I attached the original problem and solution from the book. Can it be that the book is asking to not combine the a vectors and just test them one by one with b to see if they separately are linear combinations of b?
No, the question is clearly worded. I'm sure your interpretation was correct. The solution is simply wrong.
jbunniii
Feb18-13, 06:58 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
To elaborate on what Alchemista said in this thread:

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=531233

He is saying that for any ##t \in \mathbb{R}##, if we set ##x_1 = 2 - 5t##, ##x_2 = 3 - 4t##, and ##x_3 = t##, then we will have ##x_1 a_1 + x_2 a_2 + x_3 a_3 = b##. Thus, not only is there a solution, there are infinitely many solutions. The solution I mentioned above in post #3 is a special case of this, with ##t = 0##.

The reason for this is that, for any ##t##,
$$-5t a_1 - 4t a_2 + t a_3 = 0$$
roids
Feb18-13, 07:21 PM
Thanks so much jbunnii, you made my day. Love the notation by alchemista.

Have a good day!

Register to reply