1.3.11 Determine if b is a linear combination

In summary: The scalars are C_1= -1, C_2= \frac{3}{5}, and C_3= \frac{3}{5}.In summary, we are trying to determine if the vector $b=\begin{bmatrix}2 \\ -1 \\ 6 \end{bmatrix}$ is a linear combination of the vectors $a_1=\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ -2 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}, a_2=\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1 \\ 2 \end{bmatrix},$ and $a_3=\begin{bmatrix}5 \\ -6 \\ 8 \end{bmatrix}$. This is equivalent to
karush
Gold Member
MHB
Determine if $b$ is a linear combination of $a_1,a_2$ and $a_3$
$$a_1\left[
\begin{array}{r}
1\\-2\\0 \end{array}\right],
a_2\left[
\begin{array}{r}
0\\1\\2
\end{array}\right],
a_3\left[
\begin{array}{r}
5\\-6\\8
\end{array}\right],
b=\left[
\begin{array}{r}
2\\-1\\6
\end{array}\right]$$
(rref) augmented matrix is
$$\left[
\begin{array}{ccc|c}
1 & 0 & 5 & 2 \\
0 & 1 & 4 & 3 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\end{array} \right]$$
from observation this is not a combination ok well I thot if the bottom row is all 0's then you have 2 equations and 3 answers so notalso, I thot (rref) was all just 1's or 0's
I did it on eMh

Physics news on Phys.org
karush said:
Determine if $b$ is a linear combination of $a_1,a_2$ and $a_3$
$$a_1\left[
\begin{array}{r}
1\\-2\\0 \end{array}\right],
a_2\left[
\begin{array}{r}
0\\1\\2
\end{array}\right],
a_3\left[
\begin{array}{r}
5\\-6\\8
\end{array}\right],
b=\left[
\begin{array}{r}
2\\-1\\6
\end{array}\right]$$
(rref) augmented matrix is
$$\left[
\begin{array}{ccc|c}
1 & 0 & 5 & 2 \\
0 & 1 & 4 & 3 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\end{array} \right]$$
from observation this is not a combination ok well I thot if the bottom row is all 0's then you have 2 equations and 3 answers so notalso, I thot (rref) was all just 1's or 0's
I did it on eMh
You want to know whether $b$ is a linear combination of $a_1$, $a_2$ and $a_3$. So you want to know whether the equation $xa_1 + ya_2 + za_3 = b$ can be solved for $x$, $y$ and $z$. The rref matrix tells you that this is equivalent to solving the equations $$x + 5z = 2,$$ $$y+4z=3$$ (two equations for three unknowns, so there should be plenty of solutions). Try taking it from there.

It is remarkable how many people on this and other boards post problem of the form "show that 'a' is an 'X'" without knowing the definition of 'X'! I would think that, in that situation, the first thing one would do is look up the definition of 'X'.

HallsofIvy said:
It is remarkable how many people on this and other boards post problem of the form "show that 'a' is an 'X'" without knowing the definition of 'X'! I would think that, in that situation, the first thing one would do is look up the definition of 'X'.

They are both coefficients

karush said:
They are both coefficients
I have no idea what this is supposed to mean or what "both" refers to here. The "X" in my previous post was the term "linear combination". I was concerned with whether or not you know the definition of "linear combination".

A vector "u" is a "linear combination" of vectors [tex]v_1[/tex], [tex]v_2[/tex], …, [tex]v_n[/tex] if and only if there exist scalars (numbers) [tex]C_1[/tex], [tex]C_2[/tex], … , [tex]C_n[/tex] such that [tex]C_1v_1+ C_2v_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ C_nv_n= u[/tex].

Here the question is whether or not [tex]b= \begin{bmatrix}2 \\ -1 \\ 6 \end{bmatrix}[/tex] is a linear combination of vectors [tex]a_1=
\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ -2 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}
[/tex]
, [tex]a_2=
\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1 \\ 2 \end{bmatrix}
[/tex]
, and [tex]a_3=
\begin{bmatrix}5 \\ -6 \\ 8 \end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

That is, do there exist numbers, [tex]C_1[/tex], [tex]C_2[/tex], and [tex]C_3[/tex] such that [tex]C_1
\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ -2 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}+ C_2
\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1 \\ 2 \end{bmatrix}+ C_3
\begin{bmatrix}5 \\ -6 \\ 8 \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}C_1+ 5C_2 \\ -2C_1+ C_2- 6C_3 \\ 2C_2+ 8C_3\end{bmatrix}=
\begin{bmatrix}2 \\ -1 \\ 6 \end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

That is the same as the three equations [tex]C_1+ 5C_2= 2[/tex], [tex]-2C_1+ C_2- 6C_3= -1[/tex], and [tex]2C_2+ 8C_3= 6[/tex].

Yes, you can use the "augmented matrix" to solve those equations but jumping directly to that matrix makes me wonder if you understand where the matrix comes from rather than just using a memorized formula. From the first equation we get [tex]C_1= 2- 5C_2[/tex]. From the third equation we get [tex]C_3= \frac{3}{4}- \frac{1}{4}C_2[/tex]. Replacing [tex]C_1[/tex] and [tex]C_3[/tex] in the second equation with those, we get [tex]-2(2- 5C_2)+ C_2- 6\left(\frac{3}{4}- \frac{1}{4}C_2\right)= -4+ 10C_2+ C_2- \frac{9}{2}+ \frac{3}{2}C_2= \frac{25}{2}C_2- \frac{17}{2}= -1[/tex]. [tex]\frac{25}{2}C_2= \frac{15}{2}[/tex] so [tex]C_2= \frac{3}{5}[/tex]. Then [tex]C_1= 2- 5C_2= 2- 3= -1[/tex] and [tex]C_3= \frac{3}{4}- \frac{1}{4}C_2= \frac{3}{4}- \frac{3}{20}= \frac{15- 3}{20}= \frac{3}{5}[/tex].

The problem only asked whether b could be written as a linear combination of the other vectors but showing that linear combination is the best way to show it exists.

1. What is a linear combination?

A linear combination is a mathematical operation where two or more quantities are multiplied by constants and then added together.

2. How do you determine if b is a linear combination?

To determine if b is a linear combination, you need to check if b can be expressed as a linear combination of other quantities. This means that b can be written as the sum of two or more quantities multiplied by constants.

3. What are the steps to determine if b is a linear combination?

The steps to determine if b is a linear combination are:
1. Write b as a linear combination of two or more quantities, for example, b = ax + by
2. Rearrange the equation to isolate b on one side, for example, b - by = ax
3. Factor out b from the right side of the equation, for example, b(1-y) = ax
4. If the equation can be simplified to b = kx, where k is a constant, then b is a linear combination of x and y. Otherwise, b is not a linear combination.

4. What is the importance of determining if b is a linear combination?

Determining if b is a linear combination is important in many areas of mathematics, including linear algebra and optimization. It allows us to understand the relationships between different quantities and to find solutions to equations and systems of equations.

5. Can b be a linear combination of more than two quantities?

Yes, b can be a linear combination of any number of quantities. As long as b can be written as the sum of two or more quantities multiplied by constants, it is considered a linear combination.