Register to reply

Element elimination

by pukb
Tags: element, elimination
Share this thread:
pukb
Feb19-13, 05:17 AM
P: 91
I want to why actually elements are eliminated in commercial fea solvers.
There is a criterion like stress or strain at which elements having acheived that state are eliminated.
Wouldnt it lead to wrong results because, the material at eliminated elements place has become null.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
AlephZero
Feb19-13, 06:52 AM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,931
What type of analysis are you talking about here?

"Eliminating elements" could mean different things in different contexts.
pukb
Feb19-13, 09:39 AM
P: 91
I was trying to understand ball impact on a steel plate. So we can take it as explicit, impact analysis.
I am talking about elimination of elements of plate on impact of the ball.

Mech_Engineer
Feb19-13, 09:46 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,242
Element elimination

The only context I can think of where elements are "eliminated" in an explicit FEA solve would be in an explosion or destructive impact event where material is being destroyed.
AlephZero
Feb19-13, 02:31 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,931
Quote Quote by Mech_Engineer View Post
The only context I can think of where elements are "eliminated" in an explicit FEA solve would be in an explosion or destructive impact event where material is being destroyed.
"Destroyed" isn't quite the right word, but if the material in an element is deformed or damaged so much that it can no longer transmit any loads (e.g. the compressive stress exceeds the crushing strength of the material) deleting the element from the model is a simple way to represent that behaviour.
Mech_Engineer
Feb19-13, 10:42 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,242
As you said AlephZero, it all depends on what he means by "eliminating elements."

Register to reply