Hyperelasticity - Mooney-Rivlin stress equation

• Thread starter FEAnalyst
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stress
In summary: Eq._5.55In summary, it appears that a typo may be causing the incorrect stress values in the first equation of the book. The equation from the article is a better match, but the relationship between engineering stress and true stress is not always the same.
FEAnalyst
TL;DR Summary
What makes one of the equations for stress based on Mooney-Rivlin potential wrong?
Hi,
as I've mentioned in this thread, I am looking for analytical solutions for simple loading cases involving hyperelastic materials. It turned out that the literature on rubber part design might actually be a good lead. In a rather old (written in 1989) Polish book "Gumowe elementy sprężyste" ("Rubber Elastic Parts") by M. Pękalak and S. Radkowski, I've found a discussion of calculations for several basic load cases. Most of the formulas there are based on a specific derivation of the hyperelastic potential, but for uniaxial tension, there is also an equation derived from the Mooney-Rivlin potential: $$\sigma_{eng}=2 \left( \lambda - \frac{1}{\lambda^{2}} \right) \left( C_{10}+C_{01} \lambda \right)$$ where: ##\lambda## - stretch ratio, ##\lambda=\frac{L}{L_{0}}##, ##L## - final length, ##L_{0}## - initial length, ##C_{10}## and ##C_{01}## - Mooney-Rivlin constants.
Unfortunately, this equation gives incorrect values, but in the article "Hyperelastic Constitutive Modeling of Rubber and Rubber-Like Materials under Finite Strain" by M.N. Hamza and H.M. Alwan, I´ve found another version of this equation, which gives results that fully coincide with those obtained from FEA: $$\sigma=2 \left( \lambda^{2} - \frac{1}{\lambda} \right) \left( C_{10} + \frac{C_{01}}{\lambda} \right)$$ I don't know what's wrong with this first equation - is there a mistake in the book or is it another form that should be used differently? The textbook says that this first equation gives the engineering (nominal) stress, while the article most likely gives the formula for the true stress. However, the relationship between engineering stress and true stress is: $$\sigma_{true}=\sigma_{eng} \lambda$$ Applying this transformation on the first formula doesn't give the second equation. Does anyone know where the error is?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi, are the constants ##C_{10}## and ##C_{01}## defined in the same way in both books?

FEAnalyst said:
In a rather old (written in 1989)

Made me laugh.

From what you wrote, I would guess that the first equation has a typo:
C01λ instead of C01

Eq. 5.53 of Hyperelasticity Primer by Hacket agrees with your second equation with the stress explicitly identified as the Cauchy Stress.

He also identifies nominal (eq. 5.57) and Second Piola-Kirchhoff (eq. 5.55) stresses which are consistent with the second equation.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3319732005/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited:
freddie_mclair said:
Hi, are the constants ##C_{10}## and ##C_{01}## defined in the same way in both books?
It's strange because the constants should agree:
- in the book: $$W=C_{1} \left( \lambda_{1}^{2} + \lambda_{2}^{2} + \lambda_{3}^{2}-3 \right) + C_{2} \left( \frac{1}{\lambda_{1}^{2}} + \frac{1}{\lambda_{2}^{2}} + \frac{1}{\lambda_{3}^{2}} - 3 \right)$$
- in the article and in the software used to perform FEA for comparison: $$W=C_{10} \left( \lambda_{1}^{2} + \lambda_{2}^{2} + \lambda_{3}^{2}-3 \right) + C_{01} \left( \frac{1}{\lambda_{1}^{2}} + \frac{1}{\lambda_{2}^{2}} + \frac{1}{\lambda_{3}^{2}} - 3 \right)$$
so I replaced ##C_{1}## with ##C_{10}## and ##C_{2}## with ##C_{01}## and yet the results are incorrect when the equation from the book is used. However, when the constants are swapped the equation gives expected values. So maybe it's a mistake in the book.

caz said:
Made me laugh.
Old for a book, it's already yellowed and printed on this type of paper that's not used anymore. I mean, I have books as old as from 1950s but most of them are much newer. Especially when problems like hyperelasticity are considered. For comparison, here are the years in which each of the common hyperelastic material models was developed:
- Arruda-Boyce: 1993
- Marlow: 2003
- Mooney-Rivlin: 1948
- Neo-Hookean: 1948
- Ogden: 1972
- Polynomial: 1951
- Van der Waals: 1984
- Yeoh: 1993

Since you are talking about switching constants to explain things
in Hackett
nominal = λ×(Second Piola-Kirchhoff)= Cauchy/λ2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mooney–Rivlin_solid

1. What is hyperelasticity?

Hyperelasticity is a property of materials that describes their ability to undergo large deformations without experiencing permanent deformation or failure. This means that the material can stretch, compress, or shear significantly and still return to its original shape once the applied force is removed.

2. What is the Mooney-Rivlin stress equation?

The Mooney-Rivlin stress equation is a mathematical model used to describe the stress-strain behavior of hyperelastic materials. It is based on the strain energy density function, which relates the stored energy in a material to the amount of deformation it undergoes.

3. How is the Mooney-Rivlin stress equation different from other stress equations?

The Mooney-Rivlin stress equation is unique in that it takes into account both the first and second-order material properties, allowing for a more accurate representation of the material's behavior. It also has the ability to describe both compressible and incompressible materials, making it a versatile tool for modeling hyperelasticity.

4. What are the limitations of the Mooney-Rivlin stress equation?

While the Mooney-Rivlin stress equation is a powerful tool for modeling hyperelastic materials, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the material is homogeneous, isotropic, and incompressible, which may not always be the case in real-world applications. It also does not account for time-dependent effects, such as creep or relaxation.

5. How is the Mooney-Rivlin stress equation used in engineering and science?

The Mooney-Rivlin stress equation is commonly used in engineering and science to model the behavior of hyperelastic materials in various applications. It is particularly useful in the design of medical devices, such as prosthetics and implants, as well as in the development of new materials for use in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and sports equipment. It is also used in biomechanics research to understand the properties of biological tissues and organs.