My hair is turning gray and feels like straw

by Kutt
Tags: feels, gray, hair, straw, turning
Kutt
Feb14-13, 02:14 AM
P: 236
I am a 25 year old male and my hair is starting to turn gray at a rapid pace and it feels like straw.

When I was in my teens, my hair was jet-black and very smooth and shiny, now it looks and feels completely different.

Is this unusual for someone my age?
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
New study finds 2.5 million basketball injuries to high school athletes in six seasons
Cancer patients need anxiety, depression screening
Neuroscientists discover brain circuits involved in emotion
phion
Feb14-13, 02:25 AM
PF Gold
P: 47
I'd say it's unusual, it could be due to a great variety of things. Stress, vitamin deficiency, genetics, disease, hormones, and other causes could contribute to the change in your hair. You should take the time to examine your lifestyle and maybe see a doctor to address your concern. According to some Googled statistics, about fifty percent of the population in the US has gray hair by the time they reach their fifties anyway.
Kutt
Feb14-13, 02:46 AM
Quote Quote by phion View Post
I'd say it's unusual, it could be due to a great variety of things. Stress, vitamin deficiency, genetics, disease, hormones, and other causes could contribute to the change in your hair. You should take the time to examine your lifestyle and maybe see a doctor to address your concern. According to some Googled statistics, about fifty percent of the population in the US has gray hair by the time they reach their fifties anyway.
Should this be happening at 25?

phion
Feb14-13, 03:10 AM
PF Gold
P: 47

My hair is turning gray and feels like straw

Quote Quote by Kutt View Post
Should this be happening at 25?
I don't think so, no, but it's usually benign.
jfgobin
Feb14-13, 04:41 AM
P: 90
My hair started turning slowly gray at 30. As Phion said, that can be attributed to a wide variety of causes.

My advice: try to get rid of anything toxic in your lifestyle and play the "Georges Cloney" card :-)

J.
Kutt
Feb14-13, 06:29 AM
I have generalized anxiety disorder which is compounded and amplified by severe obsessive compulsive disorder.

Could this have something to do with it?
zoobyshoe
Feb14-13, 01:47 PM
P: 5,616
I have generalized anxiety disorder which is compounded and amplified by severe obsessive compulsive disorder.

Could this have something to do with it?
The first thing to ask is whether this runs in your family. I'd ask on both sides if there was a relative they remember who had the same thing happen.

I have read, but not confirmed, that people with Welsh ancestry have a proclivity to premature greyness, that this is common in Wales, meaning it's genetic and not the result of diet, stress, etc. You may simply have inherited such a gene.
Jimmy Snyder
Feb14-13, 02:37 PM
P: 2,163
The got my first gray hairs was when I was 16. Now I'm 62 and it has gotten progressively worse, but still only about 5%. At 16 I was too young to be bothered by this stamp of aging and now I'm too old to pretend that I'm too young for it.
Evo
Feb14-13, 07:38 PM
Mentor
P: 25,958
I am a 25 year old male and my hair is starting to turn gray at a rapid pace and it feels like straw.

When I was in my teens, my hair was jet-black and very smooth and shiny, now it looks and feels completely different.

Is this unusual for someone my age?
It can be perfectly normal. The comedian Steve Martin's hair started turning white in his late 20's.

People can get gray hair at any age. Some people go gray at a young age — as early as when they are in high school or college — whereas others may be in their 30s or 40s before they see that first gray hair. How early we get gray hair is determined by our genes.
http://kidshealth.org/kid/grownup/ge...gray_hair.html
Kutt
Feb18-13, 06:53 PM
Looked in the mirror today and now it looks like I could have a receding hairline.

I hope I don't end up like Bruce Willis and have to permanently shave my head as a solution to balding.
lisab
Feb18-13, 08:17 PM
Mentor
P: 2,917
My advice is to not fight the gray. Don't dye your hair - it rarely looks natural. Yeah it kind of bites that it's happening so early. Just focus on things that you can control, like your fitness, your education, your manners, etc.

There are medically effective treatments for balding. But there is nothing unattractive about a shaved head, IMO.

No one is perfect, and sane people don't expect perfection in a mate.
turbo
Feb18-13, 10:17 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
My mother was gray at 25 years old. Family trait, on her side. I have gray temples, but at 61, I don't feel any reason to be concerned about that.

As lisab said, take it in stride. Age gracefully, and you'll be fine.
Aero51
Feb19-13, 01:10 AM
P: 546
Go to a doctor, have your liver looked at. Id say get some blood work done too. Hair ans nail health its one good indicator of overall body health
Kutt
Feb19-13, 05:25 PM
Quote Quote by Aero51 View Post
Go to a doctor, have your liver looked at. Id say get some blood work done too. Hair ans nail health its one good indicator of overall body health
I had a full physical a few months ago and everything (including blood work) came out normal.

Register to reply