Curl and its relation to line integrals

by joshmccraney
Tags: curl, integrals, line, relation
Share this thread:
joshmccraney
Feb20-13, 01:36 AM
P: 346
hey all

i know and understand the component of curl/line integral relation as: [tex]curlF\cdot u=\lim_{A(C)\to0}\frac{1}{A(C)} \oint_C F\cdot dr[/tex] where we have vector field [itex]F[/itex], [itex]A(C)[/itex] is the area of a closed boundary, [itex]u[/itex] is an arbitrary unit vector, [itex]dr[/itex] is an infinitely small piece of curve [itex]C[/itex]

my question is, how does this definition change if i have, say [itex]curlF\cdot {x}[/itex] versus [itex]curlF\cdot {z}[/itex] where [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]z[/itex] are the unit vectors in the standard cartesian system.

thanks for the feedback! you guys/girls are amazing!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
HallsofIvy
Feb20-13, 08:09 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,564
I don't understand your question. First what "definition" are you talking about? The formula you give is not a definition. Second, you are given a formula for [itex]curl F\cdot u[/itex] where u can be any unit vector- but there is no reference to c on the right side- they cannot be equal. Did you mean that u is the unit vector perpendicular to the plane of C? But you did not require that C be a planar curve.
joshmccraney
Feb22-13, 11:16 PM
P: 346
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
First what "definition" are you talking about? The formula you give is not a definition.
I read information about this on a vector analysis course page by the university of minnesota, where they said the line integral above was the way one formally defines curl. is this incorrect?

Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
Second, you are given a formula for [itex]curl F\cdot u[/itex] where u can be any unit vector- but there is no reference to c on the right side- they cannot be equal. Did you mean that u is the unit vector perpendicular to the plane of C? But you did not require that C be a planar curve.
yes, apologies here. [itex]C[/itex] is a planar closed curve around some point in space orthogonal to [itex]u[/itex]

micromass
Feb23-13, 12:19 AM
Mentor
P: 18,330
Curl and its relation to line integrals

Quote Quote by joshmccraney View Post
I read information about this on a vector analysis course page by the university of minnesota, where they said the line integral above was the way one formally defines curl. is this incorrect?
It's not really incorrect, since it's equivalent to the usual definition (if everything is smooth enough). But it's not the standard definition. Usually textbooks defines curl totally differently. The standard definition is: http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Class...ivergence.aspx

I actually do like your limit definition better since it is way more intuitive.

Register to reply