Fractional Integral of which function is equal to Riemann's Zeta-Function?

In summary, the problem is to find the Riemann zeta function for a given function and a given value of a. The fractional derivative of the zeta function can be found using the order β fractional derivative. The zeta function can also be found using the integral equation when the order β fractional derivative is known. The zeta function can also be found when the value of a is known using the order α fractional integral.
benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
TL;DR Summary
I need help solving a fractional integral equation involving the Reimann Zeta Function
So the problem I’m attempting to solve is ##\lim_{x\to a} I_{\alpha}f(x)=\zeta (\alpha )## for f, and a, where ##\zeta (\cdot )## is the Riemann zeta function and ##I_{\alpha}## is the Riemann-Liouville left fractional integral operator, namely the integral equation

$$\lim_{x\to a}\frac{1}{\Gamma (\alpha )}\int_{t=0}^{x}(x-t)^{\alpha -1}f(t)\, dt = \zeta (\alpha )$$

for some value of ##a##. I’ve only studied fractional calculus a little bit, but I’m attacking this problem from another angle as well in this thread. It’d be helpful to know how to define fractional derivatives if ##\Re \left[ \alpha \right] > 0## since the only definition I’ve come across involves the ceiling function of ##\alpha## which I don’t think is defined for complex values of ##\alpha##. I think maybe the integral

$$\Gamma (z) \zeta (z)=\int_{u=0}^{\infty} \frac{u^{z-1}}{e^u-1}\, du , \, \Re\left[ z \right] >1$$

could be an alternative way to solve this problem if I can just make an appropriate substitution... will think on that.

Edit: Spelling corrected thanks @zinq

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it out by changing the integral operator definition to the Hadamard Fractional Integral Operator which Wikipedia defines as

$$_a D_t^{-\alpha}f(t):= \frac{1}{\Gamma (\alpha )}\int_a^t \log ^{\alpha -1} \left( \frac{t}{s}\right) f(s)\frac{ds}{s}$$

because if in the integral

$$\Gamma (\alpha )\zeta (\alpha ) =\int_{u=0}^{\infty} \frac{u^{\alpha -1}}{e^u-1}\, du , \, \Re\left[ z \right] >1$$

you substitute ##u=\log \frac{t}{s}\Rightarrow du= -\frac{ds}{s}## and use that negative to flip the bounds of integration you obtain

$$\zeta (\alpha ) =\frac{1}{ \Gamma (\alpha )} \int_{u=0}^{t} \log ^{\alpha -1}\left( \frac{t}{s}\right) \frac{1}{\frac{t}{s}-1}\frac{ds}{s}\,, \, \Re\left[ z \right] >1$$

and hence

$$\lim_{t\to 1} D_t^{-\alpha} \left(\frac{t}{t-1}\right) =\zeta (\alpha ) , \Re \left[ \alpha \right] >1$$

where that^ should read ##_0 D_t^{-\alpha}## but the combination of the _0 and the limit caused a “math processing error” so I omitted it.

Anybody think of a way to extend this result to include the critical line ##\Re \left[ \alpha \right] = \frac{1}{2}##?

Last edited:
One way to define the order β fractional derivative is to take the (integer order) nth derivative that's more than you need, and then take the order α fractional integral of that, so that n-α = β as desired.

(If I may be obsessive about spelling: It's Riemann and Liouville.)

1. What is the definition of a Fractional Integral?

A Fractional Integral is a mathematical operation that extends the concept of integration to non-integer orders. It is defined as the inverse operation of a Fractional Derivative, and it is commonly denoted by the symbol ∫α f(x) dx, where α is the order of the integral and f(x) is the function being integrated.

2. What is Riemann's Zeta-Function?

Riemann's Zeta-Function is a mathematical function that was first introduced by Bernhard Riemann in the 19th century. It is defined as ζ(s) = ∑n=1 1/ns, where s is a complex variable. The function has many important applications in number theory, and it is closely related to the distribution of prime numbers.

3. How is Riemann's Zeta-Function related to Fractional Integrals?

Riemann's Zeta-Function can be expressed in terms of Fractional Integrals, specifically the Fractional Integral of the function xs-1. This is known as the Mellin transform of Riemann's Zeta-Function, and it allows for the evaluation of the function at non-integer values of s.

4. What is the significance of the Fractional Integral of Riemann's Zeta-Function?

The Fractional Integral of Riemann's Zeta-Function has many important applications in mathematics and physics. It can be used to solve various differential equations, and it has connections to topics such as fractal geometry and quantum mechanics. Additionally, the study of the Fractional Integral of Riemann's Zeta-Function has led to the development of new mathematical techniques and theories.

5. Are there any open problems related to the Fractional Integral of Riemann's Zeta-Function?

Yes, there are several open problems and conjectures related to the Fractional Integral of Riemann's Zeta-Function. For example, it is still unknown whether the Fractional Integral of Riemann's Zeta-Function is an entire function or if it has any singularities. Additionally, there are ongoing efforts to find explicit formulas for the Fractional Integral of Riemann's Zeta-Function and to further understand its properties and connections to other areas of mathematics.