Finding the ratio ω/ωo of an underdamped oscillator

by HiggsBrozon
Tags: amplitude, mechanics, oscillator, underdamped
HiggsBrozon
Feb19-13, 08:07 PM
P: 7
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The amplitude of an underdamped oscillator decreases to 1/e of its initial value
after m complete oscillations. Find an approximate value for the ratio ω/ω0.

2. Relevant equations

x''+2βx'+ω02x = 0 where β=b/2m and ω0=√(k/m)

x(t) = Ae-βtcos(ω1t-δ) where ω1 has been defined as ω022

3. The attempt at a solution

The initial amplitude is equal to A0 = Ae-βt
and the final amplitude after m oscillations is equal to A0(1/e) = Af = Ae-(βt+1)

After this I honestly don't know where to go. I tried plugging in my Af into the underdamped motion equation and solving for ω but that didn't seem to make any sense. I'm assuming that ω0 will be equal to just √(k/m)?
Also, I thought that the frequency of an underdamped oscillator didn't change over time. So why would the angular frequency change?
If anyone could give me a push in the right direction that would be very helpful. I've been working on this for a quite while now.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
bossman27
Feb20-13, 04:16 AM
P: 204
Normally, I think we'd have [itex] w^{2} = w_{0}^{2} - \beta ^{2} [/itex]. I'm actually more accustomed to writing [itex] w^{2} = w_{0}^{2} - \frac{\gamma ^{2}}{4} [/itex] , but regardless, you've goofed up your amplitude relationships.

After m periods, [itex] t = Tm [/itex] where [itex] T [/itex] is the period of oscillation in seconds. This also means the cosine term will have the same value as it does at [itex] t=0 [/itex].

Thus, your equation should be [itex] A(t=Tm) = A_{0} e^{-1} = A_{0} e^{-\beta T m} \Rightarrow \beta T m = 1 [/itex]

See if you can go from there.
bossman27
Feb20-13, 04:22 AM
P: 204
Also, what makes you think the angular frequency is changing? Even with your incorrect equation, I don't see how you would make that deduction.

rude man
Feb20-13, 06:50 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 4,429

Finding the ratio ω/ωo of an underdamped oscillator

Quote Quote by HiggsBrozon View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The amplitude of an underdamped oscillator decreases to 1/e of its initial value
after m complete oscillations. Find an approximate value for the ratio ω1/ω0.

2. Relevant equations

x''+2βx'+ω02x = 0 where β=b/2m and ω0=√(k/m)

x(t) = Ae-βtcos(ω1t-δ) where ω12 has been defined as ω022.
First, without loss of generality, let δ = 0 since this is related to initial conditions & you weren't given any.

So the 1st (initial) amplitude is Aexp(-βt) with t=0.
And at the end of 1 cycle, which lasts t = ? seconds, what is the amplitude in terms of A, β and ω1? And so on 'till at the end of 5 cycles?

And what did the problem say the amplitude after 5 cycles was as a % of the first amplitude?
So how about an equation in β and ω1 plus the equation I corrected for you above (in red)?
HiggsBrozon
Feb25-13, 05:32 PM
P: 7
My apologies on the late reply guys. It was a late night and I ended up finishing the problem the following morning. Thanks for your help!

For my equation of motion I used x(t) = Ae-βtcos(ω1t) = Ae-βmTcos(ω1mT)
where ω1 = √(ω022) (and yes my original formula was missing a square root.)
and T = 2pi/ω1

The cosine term is always equal to 1 so
x(t) = Ae-βmT = A/e
Therefore, βmT = 1
→ β = 1/(mT) = ω1/(2pim)

ω10 = √(ω022)/ω0 = √(1-β202) = 1 - β2/(2ω02) = 1 - 1/(8pi2m2)

Register to reply