Ratio of the periods of a damped and undamped oscillator

In summary, the ratio of the period of a damped harmonic oscillator to the period of the same oscillator with no damping is given by\frac {T_d} {T_0} = \sqrt {1+ \frac {1} {4\pi^2n^2}} = 1+\frac {1} {8\pi^2n^2}where the approximation in the last expression is valid if n is large. This can be found by considering the energy of the damped oscillator and using the solution to the damped oscillator differential equation.
Dustgil

Homework Statement

Given: The amplitude of a damped harmonic oscillator drops to 1/e of its initial value after n complete cycles. Show that the ratio of period of the oscillation to the period of the same oscillator with no damping is given by

[tex]\frac {T_d} {T_0} = \sqrt {1+ \frac {1} {4\pi^2n^2}} = 1+\frac {1} {8\pi^2n^2}[/tex]

where the approximation in the last expression is valid if n is large.

Homework Equations

I think

[tex]\frac {\Delta E} {E} = \frac {T_d} {\tau}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So the energy of the damped oscillator is equal to

[tex]E=\frac {kA^2} {2}[/tex]

And the change in energy over n cycles is equal to

[tex]\Delta E= \frac {kA^2} {2} - \frac {k(\frac {A} {e})^2} {2} = \frac {kA^2} {2} (1-\frac {1} {e^2})[/tex]

So

[tex]\frac {\frac {kA^2} {2} (1-\frac {1} {e^2})} {\frac {kA^2} {2}} = \frac {nT_d} {\tau}[/tex]

This is as far as I get, meaningfully. I'm struggling to find a way to relate the period of the damped and undamped oscillator that makes e drop out. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dustgil said:
I think
Why would this hold?

I suggest that you instead look at the actual solution to the damped oscillator.

Likes Dustgil
Orodruin said:
Why would this hold?

I suggest that you instead look at the actual solution to the damped oscillator.
Sorry, I guess I did give that route a shot.

[tex]x = Ae^{-\gamma t}[/tex]

[tex]\frac {A} {e} = Ae^{-\gamma t}[/tex] so the exponent must equal 1 after n cycles. From there on I'm stuck. I'm not sure how to put n into the exponent to make it give the desired behavior. I must be missing an equation or two..

I guess I'm just confused on how to pull the period of oscillation from that equation.

Dustgil said:
Sorry, I guess I did give that route a shot.

x=Ae−γt​
This is not the solution, it is just the amplitude. You need the full solution to the damped oscillator differential equation.

It is correct that ##\gamma t## must be equal to one after ##n## periods, but to know the period you must know the oscillatory part of the solution. You cannot do this looking at the amplitude only.

Likes Dustgil
I appreciate the help. I've got it now I think. Here's what I found.

The equation is

[tex]\frac {A} {e}=Ae^{-\gamma T_d}cos(\omega T_d + \phi)[/tex]

In order for this equation to equal A/e,

[tex]
\gamma T_d=1[/tex]

[tex]\omega_d T_d=2\pi n[/tex]

[tex]
T_d= \frac {2 \pi n} {\omega_d}= \frac {1} {\gamma}[/tex]

Which makes the damped frequency equal to

[tex]\omega_d = 2\pi n \gamma[/tex]

We can then relate the frequency of the damped oscillator to the frequency of the undamped through the equation

[tex]
\omega_d = \sqrt{\omega_0^2 - \gamma^2}[/tex]

[tex]2\pi n \gamma = \sqrt{\omega_0^2 - \gamma^2}[/tex]

[tex]\omega_0 = \gamma \sqrt{1+4pi^2n^2}[/tex]

Then the ratio is:

[tex]\frac {T_d} {T_0} = \frac {\frac {2\pi} {\omega_d}} {\frac {2\pi} {\omega_0}}=\frac {w_0} {w_d}= \frac {\sqrt{1+4\pi^2n^2}} {2\pi n}=\sqrt{1+ \frac {1} {4\pi^2n^2}}[/tex]

Last edited:
Right. I assume you also understand the working behind the approximation
$$
\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{4\pi^2 n^2}} \simeq 1 + \frac{1}{8\pi^2 n^2},
$$
which was part of the question (and is an approximation, not an equality, valid for large ##n##).

What is a damped oscillator?

A damped oscillator is a type of oscillator that experiences a decrease in amplitude over time due to the dissipation of energy through external forces or internal friction.

What is an undamped oscillator?

An undamped oscillator is a type of oscillator that maintains a constant amplitude over time without any energy loss due to external forces or internal friction.

What is the ratio of the periods of a damped and undamped oscillator?

The ratio of the periods of a damped and undamped oscillator is known as the damping ratio. It is a measure of the amount of energy lost per oscillation and is represented by the Greek letter "ζ" (zeta).

How is the damping ratio calculated?

The damping ratio is calculated by dividing the damping coefficient (b) by the critical damping coefficient (bc). The critical damping coefficient is equal to two times the square root of the mass (m) multiplied by the spring constant (k). Therefore, the damping ratio can be expressed as ζ = b/bc = b/2√(mk).

What does the damping ratio tell us about the behavior of an oscillator?

The damping ratio tells us how fast an oscillator's amplitude decreases over time. A higher damping ratio indicates a faster decrease in amplitude and a lower damping ratio indicates a slower decrease in amplitude. A damping ratio of 1 represents critical damping, where the oscillator's amplitude decreases at the optimal rate for minimizing oscillation time. A damping ratio greater than 1 represents overdamping, and a damping ratio less than 1 represents underdamping.