Relationship between period and time in oscillators

In summary, the equation for a weakly damped harmonic oscillator is x(t) =Ae-βtcos(ω1t-δ) where ω1 = sqrt(ωo2-β2). If the amplitude decreases to 1/e of its initial value after n periods, the frequency of the oscillator must be approximately [1 − (8π2n2)-1] times the frequency of an undamped oscillator with the same natural frequency. To solve for the frequency, the equation ω1 = sqrt(ωo2-β2) can be used and expanded to the second term, giving ω1=ωo(1-β2/2ωo2). By substituting 1/
Vitani11

Homework Statement

If the amplitude of a weakly damped oscillator decreased to 1/e of its initial value after n periods, show that the frequency of the oscillator must be approximately [1 − (8π2n2)-1] times the frequency of an undamped oscillator with the same natural frequency.

Homework Equations

The equation for a weakly damped harmonic oscillator is x(t) =Ae-βtcos(ω1t-δ) where ω1 = sqrt(ωo22)
A = amplitude
β = decay constant
ω1 = period for damped oscillator
ωo = natural frequency
T = period
t = time
δ = phase angle

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the amplitude was initially Ae-βt and finally 1/e, I solved for t=1/β or β=1/t. I then took the equation ω1 = sqrt(ωo22) and did an expansion to the second term which gave me that ω1o(1-β2/2ωo2). Ridding of β2 for 1/t gives me ω1o(1-1/2ωo2t2). I can then replace ωo with 2πn/T and then I would almost have the correct answer, but for that t= T which doesn't make sense. Also as an aside do I not have to include the phase angle (so I can make it zero) since I'm not measuring the oscillator in reference to another one? Or is it there due to impedance or something?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're introducing ##n## in the wrong place. If ##1/\beta## is the time for ##n## periods, you can say ##1/\beta = n(2\pi/\omega_1)##.

Likes Vitani11
Okay, can you explain why that is?

How are the angular frequency of the damped oscillator ##\omega_1## and the period ##T## related?

1. What is the period of an oscillator?

The period of an oscillator is the time it takes for one complete cycle of oscillation to occur. It is typically measured in seconds.

2. How is the period related to the frequency of an oscillator?

The period and frequency of an oscillator are inversely related. This means that as the period increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. The equation for this relationship is T = 1/f, where T is the period in seconds and f is the frequency in hertz.

3. What factors influence the period of an oscillator?

The period of an oscillator is primarily influenced by its physical properties, such as its mass, stiffness, and restoring force. Other factors, such as the presence of damping, can also affect the period of an oscillator.

4. How can the period of an oscillator be measured?

The period of an oscillator can be measured by recording the time it takes for a certain number of oscillations to occur and then dividing that time by the number of oscillations. This can be done using a stopwatch or a digital timer.

5. Can the period of an oscillator be changed?

Yes, the period of an oscillator can be changed by altering its physical properties, such as its mass or stiffness. It can also be affected by external forces, such as friction or damping. By adjusting these factors, the period of an oscillator can be increased or decreased.