A question about the proof of the simple approximation lemma

by Artusartos
Tags: approximation, lemma, proof, simple
Share this thread:
Artusartos
Feb20-13, 04:31 PM
P: 248
The Simple Approximation Lemma

Let f be a measurable real-valued function on E. Assume f is bounded on E, that is, there is an [itex]M \geq 0[/itex] for which [itex]|f|\leq M[/itex] on E. Then for each [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex], there are simple functions [itex]\phi_{\epsilon}[/itex] and [itex]\psi_{\epsilon}[/itex] defined on E which have the following approximation properties:

[itex]\phi_{\epsilon} \leq f \leq \psi_{\epsilon}[/itex] and [itex]0 \leq \psi_{\epsilon} - \phi_{\epsilon} < \epsilon[/itex] on E.

Proof: Let (c,d) be an open, bouned interval that contains the image of E, f(x), and [itex]c=y_0 < y_1 < ... < y_n = d[/itex] be a partition of the closed, bouned interval [c,d] such that [itex]y_{k}-y_{k-1} < \epsilon[/itex] for [itex]1 \leq k \leq n[/itex].

[tex]I_k = [y_{k-1}, y_k)[/tex] and [tex]E_k = f^{-1}(I_k)[/tex] for [itex]1 \leq k \leq n[/itex]

Since each [itex]I_k[/itex] is an inteval and the function f is measurable, each set [itex]E_k[/itex] is measurable. Define the simple functions [itex]\phi_{\epsilon}[/itex] and [itex]\psi_{\epsilon}[/itex] on E by

[tex]\phi_{\epsilon} = \sum^{n}_{k=1} y_{k-1} . \chi_{E_k}[/tex]

and [tex]\psi_{\epsilon} = \sum^{n}_{k=1} y_{k} . \chi_{E_k}[/tex]

Let x belong to E. Since [itex]f(E) \subseteq (c,d)[/itex], there is a unique k, [itex]1 \leq k \leq n[/itex], for which [itex]y_{k-1} \leq f(x) < y_k[/itex] and therefore [tex]\phi_{\epsilon} (x) = y_{k-1} \leq f(x) < y_k = \psi_{\epsilon} (x)[/tex].

But [itex]y_k - y_{k-1} < \epsilon[/itex], and therefore [itex]\phi_{\epsilon}[/itex] and [itex]\psi_{\epsilon}[/itex] have the required approximation properties.

My Question:

"Let x belong to E. Since [itex]f(E) \subseteq (c,d)[/itex], there is a unique k, [itex]1 \leq k \leq n[/itex], for which [itex]y_{k-1} \leq f(x) < y_k[/itex] and therefore [tex]\phi_{\epsilon} (x) = y_{k-1} \leq f(x) < y_k = \psi_{\epsilon} (x)[/tex]." So if we choose any x, we will aways be able to find [itex]y_k[/itex] and [itex]y_{k-1}[/itex] such that [tex]\phi_{\epsilon} (x) = y_{k-1} \leq f(x) < y_k = \psi_{\epsilon} (x)[/tex], right? But the theorem tell us that we need to find [itex]\phi_{\epsilon}[/itex] and [itex]\psi_{\epsilon}[/itex] so that [itex]\phi_{\epsilon}[/itex] is less than all possible values of f(x) and that [itex]\psi_{\epsilon}[/itex] is greater than all possible values of f(x) (not specific for any x you choose, so you the proof gives you a different [itex]y_k[/itex] and [itex]y_{k-1}[/itex] for each x...but the theorem tell us that there is only one for the whole function. Also, how can the whole function be greater than [itex]\phi_{\epsilon}[/itex] and less than [itex]\psi_{epsilon}[/itex], if the difference is less than epsilon?)...so I don't understand this proof.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief

Register to reply