Is the relation between limit points and closed sets clear? (Wondering)

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metric
In summary, the following conversation is about a metric space $X$ and the continuous function $d_A : X \rightarrow \mathbb{R}$. The first statement is that $A$ is closed iff for all $x\in X$ with $d(x,A)=0$ it holds that $x\in A$. The second statement is that $d_A$ is continuous. The third statement is that for a given $a\in A$ there exists a function $f : X \rightarrow [0,1]$ such that $f(x) = 0$ if and only if $x\in A$ and $f(x)
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $(X, d)$ be a metric space. For $A \subseteq X$ und $x \in X$ we define $d_A : X \rightarrow \mathbb{R}$ by \begin{equation*}d_A(x):=\inf\{d(x,y)\mid y\in A\}\end{equation*}
I want to prove the below statements:
  1. $A$ is closed iff for all $x\in X$ with $d(x,A)=0$ it holds that $x\in A$.
  2. The map $d_A:X\rightarrow \mathbb{R}$ is continuous.
  3. Let $A,B\subseteq X$ be disjunctive, closed subsets. Then there is a continuous function $f:X\rightarrow [0,1]$ such that $$f(x)=0\iff x\in A\ \text{ and } \ f(x)=1\iff x\in B$$

I have done the following:
  1. Since $A$ is closed, it holds that $\forall x\in X\setminus A : \exists \epsilon >0 : B_{\epsilon}(x)\cap A=\emptyset$.

A ball $B_{\epsilon}(x)$ is the set of all points $y\in X$ satisfying $d(x,y)<\epsilon$.

Is the definition correct so far? How could we continue? (Wondering)

$$$$
  2. Let $a\in A$.

We have that $d_A(x)=\inf\{d(x,y)\mid y\in A\}\leq d(x,a)$. Applying the triangle inequality we get $d(x,a)\leq d(x,y)+d(y,a)$. That means that we have $d_A(x)\leq d(x,y)+d(y,a)$.

We take the infimum over $a\in A$ and we get: $\inf_ad_A(x)\leq \inf_a\left (d(x,y)+d(y,a)\right ) \Rightarrow d_A(x)\leq d(x,y)+\inf_ad(y,a)$.

Since $(X,d)$ is a metric space, we have that $d$ is a metric and the property of symmetry is satisfied, and so we have $d(x,y)=d(y,x)$.

Therefore we get $d_A(x)\leq d(x,y)+\inf_ad(a,y)\Rightarrow d_A(x)\leq d(x,y)+\inf_ad(y,a) \Rightarrow d_A(x)\leq d(x,y)+d_A(y) \Rightarrow d_A(x)-d_A(y)\leq d(x,y)$

Let $\varepsilon>0$. We choose $\delta:=\varepsilon$. Then, if $d(x,y)<\delta$, we have that $|d_A(x)-d_A(y)|\leq d(x,y)<\varepsilon$.

This means that $d_A$ is continuous.

Is everything correct? (Wondering)

$$$$
  3. Could you give me a hint for this one? i got stuck right now. (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
3. Could you give me a hint for this one? i got stuck right now. (Wondering)

You can define the function $f$ explicitly in terms of $d_A$ and $d_B$. Use that:

From the definition of $d_A$ and 1. it follows that $d_A(x) = 0$ iff $x \in A$, and likewise for $d_B$.
The continuity of $f$ follows from 2.

Janssens said:
You can define the function $f$ explicitly in terms of $d_A$ and $d_B$. Use that:

From the definition of $d_A$ and 1. it follows that $d_A(x) = 0$ iff $x \in A$, and likewise for $d_B$.
The continuity of $f$ follows from 2.

So do you mean that we should define the function as follows?
$$f(x)=\begin{cases}d_A(x) , x\in A\\ 1-d_B(x) , x\in B\end{cases}$$

(Wondering)

mathmari said:

(Wondering)
That function is only defined on $A$ and $B$. What is needed here is a function defined on the whole of $X$. It should take the value $0$ on $A$, $1$ on $B$, and go continuously from $0$ to $1$ in the region "between" $A$ and $B$.

Opalg said:
That function is only defined on $A$ and $B$. What is needed here is a function defined on the whole of $X$. It should take the value $0$ on $A$, $1$ on $B$, and go continuously from $0$ to $1$ in the region "between" $A$ and $B$.

I haven't really understood how we define the function in the case $x\in X\setminus (A\cup B)$ so that it goes continuously from $0$ to $1$ in the region "between" $A$ and $B$. Could you explain to me further? (Wondering)

mathmari said:

(Wondering)

In addition to the reply by Opalg (which is of course to the point), I would recommend that you make an "inspired guess":

(i) Can you write down a function $f$ that is $0$ on $A$ and $1$ on $B$, using nothing but $d_A$ and $d_B$?

(ii) Once you have a candidate, then try to prove: If $f(x) = 0$ then $x \in A$ and if $f(x) = 1$ then $x \in B$.

Did the candidate do the job? Good, then you are done. Did step (ii) fail? Then try to make small modifications to $f$ such that (i) remains true, hoping that you can make (ii) hold as well.

Janssens said:
In addition to the reply by Opalg (which is of course to the point), I would recommend that you make an "inspired guess":

(i) Can you write down a function $f$ that is $0$ on $A$ and $1$ on $B$, using nothing but $d_A$ and $d_B$?

(ii) Once you have a candidate, then try to prove: If $f(x) = 0$ then $x \in A$ and if $f(x) = 1$ then $x \in B$.

Did the candidate do the job? Good, then you are done. Did step (ii) fail? Then try to make small modifications to $f$ such that (i) remains true, hoping that you can make (ii) hold as well.

From the subquestion 1. we have that since $A$ is closed it follows that if $d(x,A)=0$ then $x\in A$. Can we say that $d(x,A)=0 \iff x\in A$ ?

If $d(x,A)=0$ then it holds that $d_A(x)=0$, correct?

Similarily, the same holds also for $B$.

I haven't really understood how to define the function $f$ using $d_B$ so that it is equal to $1$ when $x\in B$.

Could you give me a hint? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
From the subquestion 1. we have that since $A$ is closed it follows that if $d(x,A)=0$ then $x\in A$. Can we say that $d(x,A)=0 \iff x\in A$ ?

If $d(x,A)=0$ then it holds that $d_A(x)=0$, correct?

Similarily, the same holds also for $B$.
Yes, that is correct.

mathmari said:
I haven't really understood how to define the function $f$ using $d_B$ so that it is equal to $1$ when $x\in B$.

Could you give me a hint? (Wondering)
I found this part of the problem quite difficult, and I don't see how to give a hint other than giving away the answer.
[sp]How about the function $f(x) = \dfrac{d_A(x)}{d_A(x) + d_B(x)}$?

That function is defined for all $x$ in $X$ (because the denominator of the fraction is never $0$). It is a continuous function; it takes values in the interval $[0,1]$; and it takes the value $0$ iff $x\in A$ and the value $1$ iff $x\in B$.[/sp]

Opalg said:
Yes, that is correct.I found this part of the problem quite difficult, and I don't see how to give a hint other than giving away the answer.
[sp]How about the function $f(x) = \dfrac{d_A(x)}{d_A(x) + d_B(x)}$?

That function is defined for all $x$ in $X$ (because the denominator of the fraction is never $0$). It is a continuous function; it takes values in the interval $[0,1]$; and it takes the value $0$ iff $x\in A$ and the value $1$ iff $x\in B$.[/sp]

Ahh ok? Now I see what you meant! (Nerd)
Is my answer at the second question, that $d_A$ is continuous, correct and complete? (Wondering)
Let's consider the first question.

We suppose that $\forall x\in X : d(x,A)=0\Rightarrow x\in A$. By definition it holds that $\displaystyle{d(x,A)=\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}d(x, a_n)}$ and so it holds that $\displaystyle{\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}d(x, a_n)=0}$. Does this mean that all limit points of $A$ are contained in $A$ ? (Wondering)

Related to Is the relation between limit points and closed sets clear? (Wondering)

1. What is a metric?

A metric is a quantitative measurement of a physical property or characteristic. In science, metrics are used to describe and compare different phenomena or systems.

2. How do you prove statements about metric?

To prove a statement about metric, you must use a logical and systematic approach. This typically involves collecting data, analyzing the data using mathematical or statistical methods, and drawing conclusions based on the evidence.

3. What is the importance of proving statements about metric?

Proving statements about metric is important because it allows us to make accurate and reliable claims about the physical world. It also helps us to understand the relationships between different variables and to make predictions about future outcomes.

4. What are some common metrics used in scientific research?

Some common metrics used in scientific research include length, mass, time, temperature, and volume. Other metrics may be specific to a particular field of study, such as pH in chemistry or heart rate in biology.

5. Can metrics be subjective?

While metrics are typically based on objective measurements and data, they can also be influenced by subjective factors such as human perception or interpretation. It is important to carefully consider the methods and limitations of any metric being used in scientific research.