Bloch Analysis proof of Theorem 2.5.5 (Definition by recursion)

BugKingpin
TL;DR Summary
Not sure why ##N## X H ##\epsilon## C in the existence proof of theorem 2.5.5 in Bloch.
Want to understand how set C contains ##N## x H. H is only defined to be a set with element e and as the domain/range of function k. Is this enough information to conclude that the second set in the cartesian product W is H and not a subset of H?

My thinking is to show that ##N## and H satisfy the definition of sets A and B in an element W = A x B ##\epsilon## C. Then ##N## x H ##\epsilon##. Since 1 ##\epsilon## A so A ##\subseteq N##. If n ##\epsilon## A then s(n) ##\epsilon## A then by Peano Axioms/induction A = ##N##. Then we have to show that B = H. This is the part I am confused by.

Let e ##\epsilon## B. By the set builder rule of C, if (n,y) ##\epsilon## W then (s(n),k(y)) ##\epsilon## W which means if y ##\epsilon## B then k(y) ##\epsilon## B. This means that k(1) ##\epsilon## B and k^{n}(1) ##\epsilon## B. But according to this definition, B is infinite as there are infinite n ##\epsilon## N.

To show that B = H, I either need to use some theorem or show that H and B are subsets of each other. But if I don't know what's in H how do I show that every element of B is also in H and vice versa?
ph_forum2.jpg
ph_forum1.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't fully understand your post but I think you've missed the point because it's trivial. ##\mathbb{N}\times H## just simply satisfy that if ##(x,y) \in \mathbb{N}\times H## then ##(s(x),k(y))\in \mathbb{N}\times H##. But s and k by definition return elements of ##\mathbb{N}## and ##H## so of course it's true.

Also we need ##(1,e)\in \mathbb{N}\times H## which is similarly trivial, since we already know they belong to these sets. Hence ##\mathbb{N}\times H## is an element of ##C##

Likes BugKingpin
Office_Shredder said:
I don't fully understand your post but I think you've missed the point because it's trivial. ##\mathbb{N}\times H## just simply satisfy that if ##(x,y) \in \mathbb{N}\times H## then ##(s(x),k(y))\in \mathbb{N}\times H##. But s and k by definition return elements of ##\mathbb{N}## and ##H## so of course it's true.

Also we need ##(1,e)\in \mathbb{N}\times H## which is similarly trivial, since we already know they belong to these sets. Hence ##\mathbb{N}\times H## is an element of ##C##
I really overthought this. So that condition is really just the definition of a function H->H; H contains every element in the domain and range of k and there must be a k(y) in H for every element y in H. So that definition starting with the element e completely populates H as I mentioned above?

Great signature btw. Combinatorics is indeed very subtle.

1. What is the Bloch Analysis proof of Theorem 2.5.5?

The Bloch Analysis proof of Theorem 2.5.5 is a method used to prove the definition by recursion. It involves analyzing the behavior of a function or sequence by looking at its values over a certain range or domain.

2. How does the Bloch Analysis proof work?

The Bloch Analysis proof works by breaking down the definition by recursion into smaller, more manageable parts. By analyzing the behavior of these smaller parts, we can then piece together a complete proof of the theorem.

3. What is the significance of Theorem 2.5.5 in Bloch Analysis?

Theorem 2.5.5 is significant in Bloch Analysis as it provides a foundational result that can be used to prove other theorems and results within the field. It helps to establish the relationship between different functions or sequences defined by recursion.

4. Can you provide an example of the Bloch Analysis proof of Theorem 2.5.5?

One example of the Bloch Analysis proof of Theorem 2.5.5 involves proving the convergence of a sequence defined by recursion. By analyzing the behavior of the sequence over successive iterations, we can show that it converges to a specific value.

5. How is the Bloch Analysis proof of Theorem 2.5.5 used in practice?

In practice, the Bloch Analysis proof of Theorem 2.5.5 is used to analyze and understand the behavior of functions or sequences defined by recursion. It helps to establish properties and relationships that can be applied in various mathematical and scientific contexts.