Baby it's cold outside

by Evo
Tags: baby, cold, evo
Evo
Feb10-13, 08:46 PM
Mentor
P: 25,961
So glad I'm missing the storm. Evo Child was born in New York during a blizzard that made NOAA's worse storm events lists. I left New York right after the blizzard of 1993, which also made the worst storms list.
turbo
Feb11-13, 01:17 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Mother Nature is whacking us again. I estimate 1-2"/ hour of light snow. Sometimes, it's hard to see the trees across the road. When this stuff happens, I'd like to have a truck with a plow, but we don't have room for that. If I didn't have elderly relatives (and severe reactions to fragrance chemicals) I'd like to sell off and relocate to Trinidad.

For those not familiar with tractors, it is very hard to get decent bucket-loads of fluffy snow. It takes (easily) twice as long to clear fluffy dry snow than it takes to clear snow that is more prone to clumping.
dlgoff
Feb11-13, 03:08 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,633
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
For those not familiar with tractors, it is very hard to get decent bucket-loads of fluffy snow.
But that could be a good thing.

http://www.theskichannel.com/news/fe...entral-nevada/
KrisOhn
Feb12-13, 10:46 AM
P: 267
It's -1C here today, essentially t-shirt weather after mid January...
Evo
Feb21-13, 08:27 AM
Mentor
The snow started about 1 1/2 hours ago. It was supposed to start at midnight last night, but didn't start until around 7am.

It's really coming down hard and we're supposed to get around 12 inches, but I don't understand this message that is in the official weather warning.

THUNDER MAY ACCOMPANY THE SNOW RESULTING IN HIGHER SNOW RATES OF 2 TO 3 INCHES PER HOUR AT TIMES.
How do conditions that create thunder increase the snow so dramatically?
Jimmy Snyder
Feb21-13, 08:33 AM
P: 2,163
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
It's not the conditions that create the thunder, it's the thunder itself. What part of 'avalanche' don't you understand?
Evo
Feb21-13, 08:44 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
It's not the conditions that create the thunder, it's the thunder itself. What part of 'avalanche' don't you understand?
Lol, so the thunder will shake the snow out of the clouds? Well, I'm just sitting inside, so I want to see this happen. I've been in snow thunderstorms, but didn't notice an increase in snowfall.
Evo
Feb21-13, 10:17 AM
Mentor
The snow off the patio is already over a foot deep, well above the top of my dog's head, so I had to shovel the grass. On the north side, it's over 2 feet deep because of snow blowing off the neighbor's roof. I know it's over 2 feet because I had a 2 foot tall planter outside and it disappeared earlier.

We got some thunder, but I didn't notice an increase in snow, it's dry and fluffy, so it's easily coming down 1-2 inches an hour right now, maybe more.

Damn I'm good, just checked the weather website.

Feb 21, 2013; 8:58 AM ET Thunder, lightning, and 1-2" per hour snow rates.
That was earlier, it's heavier now.

Whoa, huge hunk of a tree just came down. Part of it caught on lower branches and it's hanging. Watch out squirrels!!!!
Jimmy Snyder
Feb21-13, 10:24 AM
On account of your neighbor stealing your planter, I googled thunder snow. What I got was graupel. I never heard of it before, but I saw it for the first time in my life when some came down here about a month ago. Now I can attach a name to what I saw. It's small, about 2 mm, round like hail, but soft like snow.
Jimmy Snyder
Feb21-13, 10:27 AM
Oh yeah, about the thundersnow.

Quote Quote by wiki
Thundersnow, also known as a winter thunderstorm or a thunder snowstorm, is an extremely rare kind of thunderstorm with snow falling as the primary precipitation instead of rain. ... Thundersnow often produces snowfall rates in the range of 2 to 4 inches per hour.
wiki, and therefore unreliable
Evo
Feb21-13, 10:43 AM
Mentor
Oooh, now I'm getting snow devils!! Little mini snow tornadoes! At one point, there were 4 going at once, just sucking the snow off the ground and leaving funnels in the snow. I'm getting a bit of everything.
turbo
Feb21-13, 10:44 AM
PF Gold
Very light snow today, with huge fluffy flakes. They look like feathers in the wind.
Astronuc
Feb21-13, 05:01 PM
Admin
P: 21,637
The snow started about 1 1/2 hours ago. It was supposed to start at midnight last night, but didn't start until around 7am.

It's really coming down hard and we're supposed to get around 12 inches, but I don't understand this message that is in the official weather warning.

We get thundersnow when there is a heavy fall of wet snow. It's much like a thundershower. It's interesting to be in one with the lightning flashing through the snow.
Astronuc
Feb21-13, 05:05 PM
Admin
P: 21,637
So glad I'm missing the storm. Evo Child was born in New York during a blizzard that made NOAA's worse storm events lists. I left New York right after the blizzard of 1993, which also made the worst storms list.
That's when I got stranded in Charlotte for 3 days because LaGuardia airport and others were closed. The closest airport to my home was actually open, and the pilot could have landed the 737 there. But no, he had to fly back to Charlotte.
turbo
Feb21-13, 05:18 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
That's when I got stranded in Charlotte for 3 days because LaGuardia airport and others were closed. The closest airport to my home was actually open, and the pilot could have landed the 737 there. But no, he had to fly back to Charlotte.
The airport in Bangor is a former SAC base with an impressive array of plows, de-icers, etc. Still, I got "stranded" at airports all over the East coast that were unprepared for snow, so they wouldn't let flights depart. Newark was probably the worst. I spent many, many hours in that bland hell-hole. At least at O'Hare, you could get an OK sandwich and some hot coffee.
dlgoff
Feb21-13, 08:32 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,633
I don't know but evidently it does. I was still in bed and awakened when I heard the rumble. I got up and looked out to see just a dusting, but two hours later there was 12 inches.

YEA Some H2O at last. Let it thunder.
Evo
Feb21-13, 10:24 PM
Mentor
Poor Evo Child, on the news they said where she lives they were getting over 4 inches an hour with the thunder snow. It's snowing again right now.
AnTiFreeze3
Feb21-13, 11:07 PM
P: 245
We were supposed to get 7+ inches of snow, and looking outside, I see hardly 2 inches of snow. It also hasn't snowed in several hours.

They cancelled most after school activities, and ended our basketball practice at 5, and it didn't even end up snowing until 8:30, and it ended around 9:30.....

Register to reply