Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?

In summary, the weather is gradually changing from cold to warmer temperatures. The forecast for tomorrow predicts that there will be winds between 20 and 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. This will create significant blowing and drifting of snow with near blizzard conditions possible at times. Visibilities will be reduced to below one half mile, making roads near impossible to travel on. The cold wind chill values will be widespread, ranging from 20 to 30 below zero. There is a potential for life-threatening situations due to the dangerously cold temperatures. Additionally, my aunt and uncle own a large strawberry farm and citrus orchard near Tampa, FL and stand to lose the entire crop due to the hard long freeze.
  • #1,261
from my FB mate Ken in Arkansas
cute :smile:

https://fb-s-c-a.akamaihd.net/h-ak-xat1/v/t1.0-9/15873286_10211746282083013_3314824925639458294_n.jpg?oh=ba80ce470025a1c89109cdbbfe51dec3&oe=591F3F7C&__gda__=1490707536_869c69e55e0cb4a484cb97ffa83624fc

Likes Phellippe Marques, ProfuselyQuarky, Ibix and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,262
lisab said:
Western Washington state weather is well within the normal range...drizzly rain, in the 40s. Gray, gray, gray sky.

I actually like it :biggrin:.
I love me some gray Washington skies. Makes the pine trees look really vibrant.

• #1,263
Actual temperature was -30 C (-22 F) when I walked 20 minutes to the coffee shop this morning,

• #1,264
In Florida, it has gone down into the 40s, and the locals are cold. It's really cute.

• #1,265
Battlemage! said:
I love me some gray Washington skies. Makes the pine trees look really vibrant.
Did you note that that post was from 7 years ago?

• #1,266
OmCheeto said:
Did you note that that post was from 7 years ago?
Yep. :biggrin:

• #1,267
Oh geez, I'm so sick of all you northerners whining about the cold. Try Bourke instead. :wink: :biggrin:

(No, I don't actually live there. :oldruck:)

Likes davenn
  • #1,268
strangerep said:
Oh geez, I'm so sick of all you northerners whining about the cold. Try Bourke instead. :wink: :biggrin:

(No, I don't actually live there. :oldruck:)

yeah, it's been dreadfully hot in Oz huh. Think this will be one of the hottest summers on record for NSW, maybe all of Australia

Dave

• #1,269
davenn said:
yeah, it's been dreadfully hot in Oz huh. Think this will be one of the hottest summers on record for NSW, maybe all of Australia.
Yes, I'm so glad I left Sydney 14 months ago. I've been astonished to find that the Sanctuary Cove area of QLD is both far warmer in winter than Sydney, yet (often) not as hot as Sydney in summer (though it has higher humidity).

Also, the awful summer storms you often hear about in the Brisbane/Gold Coast area seem to bifurcate around Sanctuary Cove most of the time, or are less severe. I've found it quite astonishing -- something to do with the topography of the mountains to the west perhaps.

But I digress off-topic. :oldbiggrin:

Likes davenn
  • #1,270
Three days of continuous freezing rain, coating everything under a few inches of ice topped by water. There's no point in spreading salt or sand if constant freezing rain is going to wash it away. Very depressing.

• #1,271
Rubidium_71 said:
Three days of continuous freezing rain, coating everything under a few inches of ice topped by water. There's no point in spreading salt or sand if constant freezing rain is going to wash it away. Very depressing.

far out :frown:

we have had the hottest January here in the state of NSW, Australia in the last 150 years
In the Sydney area, where I live, there's been 4 or 5 days over 40C (104F) the hottest 2 days hit 43C (109.4F)

the last time I experienced sub 0C temps was when I lived in southern New Zealand

Dave

• #1,272
@davenn : We need a separate thread, so as not to hijack this "cold" thread with talk of excessive heat. :cool:

• #1,273
davenn said:
we have had the hottest January here in the state of NSW, Australia

It's not so much the cold this winter, it's that the temp hovers right around 32 degrees. I'd rather it be colder because I can fight my way through snow with my 4 wheel drive pickup. Ice is another matter entirely. At one point this January my road was under a 4 inch thick ice plate. Glad things are warm where you are. :)

• #1,274
The cold thread is for winter weather, there was a "hot" thread created for summer. The last few winters here have been mild, this one has been miserable with the temperatures at or below freezing for weeks.Rubidium, I know what you mean about the ice, NOTHING worse. The first few years after I moved here we had significant ice storms each winter and I drove a sports car. :))

• #1,275
Perhaps a thread title change would be appropriate; "Baby, it's miserable outside".

I for one, welcome the comments of our thermally overloaded down-under friends, as they remind me; "Spring is coming"

Likes strangerep, Rubidium_71 and davenn
  • #1,276
Evo said:
Rubidium, I know what you mean about the ice, NOTHING worse. The first few years after I moved here we had significant ice storms each winter and I drove a sports car.
I was in that situation once myself. We had a string on mild winters here during which I owned a '94 Camaro and I was able to drive it all year. Then in 2003 it swung back to being a frigid hellscape with regular blizzards and I traded my car for a pickup. I still miss the Camaro sometimes, but I'm very glad to have my pickup.

• #1,277
Baby it's cold outside
Yes. I did not like this winter :frown:. 65°F (18.3°C) outside and 74°F (23.3°C) in my room. It feels really cold.

I shiver every time I go outside at night. Last winter was hot as always and as it should be. At least for how I'm used for it to be. But this one was unexpectedly cold.

I feel bad for the homeless this winter, they must feel cold. I wouldn't survive if I were to be on their position, that's for sure.

• #1,278
OmCheeto said:
Perhaps a thread title change would be appropriate; "Baby, it's miserable outside".

I for one, welcome the comments of our thermally overloaded down-under friends, as they remind me; "Spring is coming"

+1

Likes OmCheeto
  • #1,279
nsaspook said:
+1

I don't mean to laugh, as someone may have been injured, but...

Ya all need to be slowin' down out there.

[edit]News reports claim there were no serious injuries. Whew!

Likes Borg
  • #1,280
OmCheeto said:
My first thought was "mail's in" (the ground). :oldtongue:
OmCheeto said:

Ya all need to be slowin' down out there.

I'm sure that the SUVs were thinking - I can handle this, I've got 4 wheel drive!

Likes nsaspook and OmCheeto
  • #1,281
Borg said:
My first thought was "mail's in" (the ground). :oldtongue:

I'm sure that the SUVs were thinking - I can handle this, I've got 4 wheel drive!
I would brag about the fact that I've lived here for 58 years, and never been in an accident, in these types of weather conditions, but I'm sure it was the winter of 1964, when my family drove from Portland to Anchorage, in NOVEMBER, a week after my dad taught my mom how to drive, :oldsurprised:
and I should have been dead, at least 3 times, that somewhat engrained in my head: "Ice = slippery = death ---> learn how to put on chains, and... ps. don't drive like a fool".

My childhood, has served me well.

[edit] ps. Mom did very well, actually, considering her driving skills. No one died. With the exception of the rented Galaxy 500, which after rolling down the hill, had all it's wheels snapped off, and all of it's windows shattered.

• #1,282
OmCheeto said:

That's good news that they now know that ice is slippery here. Wow, the cocooned in city of Portland Oregon has discovered that salt works without the start of the 'Apocalypse' on winter roads.
http://www.kptv.com/story/34424249/transportation-workers-see-more-success-using-salt-on-icy-roads?autostart=true

• #1,283
How to tell it's winter ...

2mime-attachment.jpg

14mime-attachment.jpg

3mime-attachment.jpg

Likes dlgoff, Craftek_Ana, phinds and 6 others
  • #1,284
my pooch used to do what those 4 are doing in the first pic
it was amusing to watch them have to move periodically to stay in the sunlight

• #1,285
davenn said:
my pooch used to do what those 4 are doing in the first pic
it was amusing to watch them have to move periodically to stay in the sunlight
What is a pooch?

I think that's a response of many animals including humans. To go right under the sun when it is cold. I once mentioned how I got an apartment with an air conditioner, but I couldn't control it because the sensor was broken. Plus I forgot to bring my thick blanket from my home into the apartment so everytime it would automatically turn on I would suffer for the whole night. Man, those were chilled times. After some time I cried from being so cold and prayed for the sun to come out quickly so I could get warm.

But when I think about this for a minute... Plants cannot move. I feel sorry for them (edit: figuratively speaking). I mean, if they feel cold, what can they do? Nothing... I think.

Last edited:
  • #1,286
Psinter said:
What is a pooch?
One of many words in English for "dog."
Psinter said:
I think that's a response of many animals including humans. To go right under the sun when it is cold. I once mentioned how I got an apartment with an air conditioner, but I couldn't control it because the sensor was broken. Plus I forgot to bring my thick blanket from my home into the apartment so everytime it would automatically turn on I would suffer for the whole night. Man, those were chilled times. After some time I cried from being so cold and prayed for the sun to come out quickly so I could get warm.

But let's think about this for a minute... Plants cannot move. I feel sorry for them. I mean, if they feel cold, what can they do? Nothing... I think.
They don't "feel" cold. To do so would require a nervous system, I believe. If the temperature is too low for a given plant, it will shrivel up and die.

Likes davenn and Psinter
  • #1,287
Mark44 said:
One of many words in English for "dog."

They don't "feel" cold. To do so would require a nervous system, I believe. If the temperature is too low for a given plant, it will shrivel up and die.
Oh. That's very good to know then :smile:. :thumbup:

Likes davenn
  • #1,288
It's -20 F here right now in the suburbs of Chicago. Yesterday, we just missed breaking the all-time coldest temperate ever recorded for the area. Many schools will be closed for the 2nd day in a row today.

So yes, it is definitely cold outside.

Zz.

Likes collinsmark and russ_watters
  • #1,289
ZapperZ said:
It's -20 F here right now in the suburbs of Chicago. Yesterday, we just missed breaking the all-time coldest temperate ever recorded for the area. Many schools will be closed for the 2nd day in a row today.

So yes, it is definitely cold outside.

Zz.

Currently it is -18 C with a windchill of -32 C outside here in Toronto (that would be -0.4 F with a windchill of -22 F for you Americans out there).

Environment Canada -- the Canadian government agency responsible for coordinating environmental policies and programs across the country, and who also issue provide weather forecasting and various weather alerts -- issued an extreme cold warning for much of Ontario.

So it is definitely cold outside here too.

• #1,290
I was just texting with a colleague who is attending a meeting in Burr Ridge, IL. You can't make this stuff up :).

• #1,291
gmax137 said:
I was just texting with a colleague who is attending a meeting in Burr Ridge, IL. You can't make this stuff up :).
In case anyone hasn't seen the play "Hamilton" yet:
Brrrrrr kills 'Hamilton' again: Chicago shows canceled Wednesday due to cold

[https://abc6onyourside.com/news/offbeat/brrrrrr-kills-hamilton-again-chicago-shows-canceled-wednesday-due-to-cold]

Likes nsaspook and Borg
  • #1,292
Psinter said:
What is a pooch?
Google is your friend. Really.

• #1,293
So why is it there are plenty of people drinking iced coffees, wearing loose sweats*? I still do my weird drinking of iced coke, but that is just an old habit. And I do it after my power Winter breakfast.

*And many wear tights in summer.?

• #1,294
Right now, it is 0 C (32 F) and snowing quite hard; accumulation of 30 - 40 centimetres (12 - 16 inches) between now and Saturday.

The forecast high/low (without wind chill) is -21 C / -27 C (-6 F/-17 F) on Saturday and -22 C/ -28 C (-8 F/-18 F) on Sunday.

Last edited:
  • #1,295
Walked to Tims (coffee shop) yesterday morning at -26 C (-34 C windchill) and -28 C (-42 windchill) this morning. I looked a little like
Tims Trek.jpg

Attachments

• Tims Trek.jpg
    Tims Trek.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 519
Likes Astronuc and davenn