Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?

In summary, the weather is gradually changing from cold to warmer temperatures. The forecast for tomorrow predicts that there will be winds between 20 and 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. This will create significant blowing and drifting of snow with near blizzard conditions possible at times. Visibilities will be reduced to below one half mile, making roads near impossible to travel on. The cold wind chill values will be widespread, ranging from 20 to 30 below zero. There is a potential for life-threatening situations due to the dangerously cold temperatures. Additionally, my aunt and uncle own a large strawberry farm and citrus orchard near Tampa, FL and stand to lose the entire crop due to the hard long freeze.
  • #1,191
Nikitin said:
It's funny watching Americans complain about snow. Last year the winter began in October with a bang: We were hit with 3 days of blizzards and afterwards we got temperatures as low as -20 degrees Celsius here in Trondheim.
It is even funnier when you have a few modulus signs handy...
:devil:

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,192
St Joseph's Lighthouse on Lake Michigan

Attachments

• induro-john-mccormick-frozen-light-st-joseph-lighthouse.jpg
    induro-john-mccormick-frozen-light-st-joseph-lighthouse.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 356
  • #1,193
Enigman said:
It is even funnier when you have a few modulus signs handy...
:devil:

Minor details. :biggrin:

• #1,194
Nikitin said:
It's funny watching Americans complain about snow. Last year the winter began in October with a bang: We were hit with 3 days of blizzards and afterwards we got temperatures as low as -20 degrees Celsius here in Trondheim.

-20 Celsius is -4 Farenheit; many parts of the country are getting closer to -35 Celsius.

• #1,195
Wow has it become that bad? That's significantly colder than even inland-Norway! You have my symphaties. Must be hard for you Americans,,, considering your lack of viking blood to resist the cold

• #1,196
Office_Shredder said:
-20 Celsius is -4 Farenheit; many parts of the country are getting closer to -35 Celsius.

And just a handful of degrees colder than that, it doesn't matter which scale you use (Fahrenheit or Celsius).

• #1,197
Need some of that cold weather over here in SoCal, snowboarding this season has been slightly lame, and my blueberries are flowering cause they're confused by the 70/80 Fahrenheit tempature.

Now I'll stop whining about my first world problems. :cool:

Hope all those hit by the storm stay safe.

• #1,198
Greg Bernhardt said:
St Joseph's Lighthouse on Lake Michigan
I love those frozen lighthouses.

• #1,199
Evo said:
I love those frozen lighthouses.

"those"?

There are more?

Sorry. It doesn't often drop below freezing out here, so we rarely see such things.

• #1,200
It's so cold here that people aren't updating their Facebook status while they're walking outside! :eek:

• #1,201
OmCheeto said:
"those"?

There are more?

Sorry. It doesn't often drop below freezing out here, so we rarely see such things.
Come to Maine. We have tons of lighthouses, and in the winter they are often frozen. Even fronting salt water with the temperature-mediation effect of the ocean, they can be forbidding places in the winter.

• #1,202
Nikitin said:
Wow has it become that bad? That's significantly colder than even inland-Norway! You have my symphaties. Must be hard for you Americans,,, considering your lack of viking blood to resist the cold

I am based in Toronto, Canada and currently the temperature is -25 degrees Celsius with a windchill of -39 degrees Celsius (the high is expected to reach up to -17 degrees Celsius with a windchill of -25 degrees Celsius). Some other parts of Canada have temperatures closer to -50 degrees Celsius when factoring windchill.

Funny enough though, when I checked the forecast this morning, by the end of this week the temperature is supposed to rise to 4 degrees Celsius with rain! So it's a bit of a wild erratic winter!

• #1,203
The CBS morning news showed a clip of a local weather reporter somewhere doing a field report, saying something like "Parts of my body are freezing that I didn't know could freeze!"

Here, it's a relatively balmy 10F (-12C) right now. For my one-mile walk to work, I put on my warm-up pants over my trousers, and sealed off their lower ends by tucking them into my socks. Up above, I put on my warm-up sweatshirt in addition to a sweater and jacket. On top, a ski cap and scarf, and wraparound sunglasses over my regular glasses. A thick old beat-up pair of gloves. No problems.

All the schools around here are on a two-hour delay, with school buses running accordingly later, so kids don't have to stand out in the cold.

• #1,204
It was so cold yesterday (-16 and -44 with the wind chill) the whole area's power went out, and my bike pedal snapped off under my weight when I went for my daily ride.

• #1,205
It's freezing here, around 66 degrees. Celsius. Or Kelvin. I always get them mixed up.

• #1,206
It's in the mid-teens right now with very gusty winds. Not a good time to be outside, and the dogs agree.

• #1,207
phion said:
It was so cold yesterday (-16 and -44 with the wind chill) the whole area's power went out, and my bike pedal snapped off under my weight when I went for my daily ride.

I hope you got your power back soon - that's a deadly situation. And glad your bike pedal snapped rather than your foot :smile:.

• #1,208
lisab said:
I hope you got your power back soon - that's a deadly situation. And glad your bike pedal snapped rather than your foot :smile:.
Yea it started to get pretty cold inside, and after some failed attempts with the breaker I put my snow clothes on and went to get a bite to eat. The coldness made the plastic so brittle it just snapped right in two on my way back. Luckily everything was back to normal when I got home! I'm thinking some metal replacements would be more appropriate for the current climate.

• #1,209
It's pretty darn cold here in Florida. This is the coldest it's been here in a long time. Normally we'll have about 10 days a year that are below 30, and those days suck. I'm so used to the hot weather that 75 degrees is chilly to me. It's supposed to warm back up for no apparent reason, but I'm happy about that. We'll probably have some warm weather and then a few more cold days before the winter is over.

• #1,210
leroyjenkens said:
It's pretty darn cold here in Florida. This is the coldest it's been here in a long time. Normally we'll have about 10 days a year that are below 30, and those days suck. I'm so used to the hot weather that 75 degrees is chilly to me. It's supposed to warm back up for no apparent reason, but I'm happy about that. We'll probably have some warm weather and then a few more cold days before the winter is over.

Its very interesting, seeing the differences between people from different climates, I wonder how long it would take each of us to adapt to our differences, if we were switched at the most extreme of times. Last year I was in Florida during December, it was nice t-shirt weather when it was 15C(59F) but the few times it got up to 25C(77F) left me uncomfortable and sweating.

• #1,211
When I was in Australia it was always hot even when it was cold. When I'm home, it's always cold even if it's warm.

• #1,212
It was so cold here yesterday that bubbles froze before they became fully spherical:

http://imageshack.us/a/img36/910/9ugz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,213
  • #1,214
Andy Resnick said:
It was so cold here yesterday that bubbles froze before they became fully spherical:

http://imageshack.us/a/img36/910/9ugz.jpg

I know what you mean, this bubble is also frozen forever.

day05a.jpg

• #1,215
KrisOhn said:
Its very interesting, seeing the differences between people from different climates, I wonder how long it would take each of us to adapt to our differences, if we were switched at the most extreme of times. Last year I was in Florida during December, it was nice t-shirt weather when it was 15C(59F) but the few times it got up to 25C(77F) left me uncomfortable and sweating.

As I get older, I like the hot weather better. High 70's is a good temperature for me, but the low 90's aren't too bad. Once it starts nearing 100, then I get uncomfortable.

I'm pale white too, but I like the option of going outside and being able to get some decent sun exposure to get a tan whenever I want.

And yeah, December can still be considered fall for us. It doesn't start getting cold until after the winter solstice. There may be a few chilly days before then, though.

• #1,216
-3 F and 16% humidity this morning. Crispy.

• #1,217
Finally got my car free from the block of ice it was encased in from Friday's ice storm, just in time for the snowstorm moving in tonight with 8" of snow in the forecast.

• #1,218
Weather forecasters are starting to talk about a potential Nor'easter on Sunday. I heard my first long range forecast saying that snowfall could be measured in feet.

• #1,219
Borg said:
Weather forecasters are starting to talk about a potential Nor'easter on Sunday. I heard my first long range forecast saying that snowfall could be measured in feet.
Yikes. I used to live in upstate NY and got "lake effect" snow, we'd get walloped, and of course there was the occasional unforecasted "white out" which always seemed to catch me out driving. It was 8 miles to the nearest grocery store.

• #1,220
We had an ice storm Friday and the housing manager refused to remove the inch thick coating off of the sidewalk leading to my house. The second time I called she actually lied and said it had been done, but the ice just remelted over it. If it had been done there would have been stray pellets (as there always are) and a mottled look to the ice. Now we are forecast to get 10-12" of snow today and just got an e-mail telling residents not to walk on the snow or ice. Are they serious? Dogs need to go to the bathroom. I'm keeping a shoveled potty area for mine, a teeny chihuahua, I'm lucky that my unit has a private backyard.

It's also that tiny grainy snow that packs down heavy.

Last edited:
  • #1,221
Evo said:
Dogs need to go to the bathroom. I'm keeping a shoveled a potty area for mine, ...
Kinda like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhcqQWc2tOc

• #1,222
Lol, poor dog has no idea what's on his feet.

• #1,223
Evo said:
Lol, poor dog has no idea what's on his feet.
I don't think I could get a dog to go outside right now. I just took this.

http://imageshack.com/a/img843/7326/kn7p.jpg

• #1,224
dlgoff said:
I don't think I could get a dog to go outside right now. I just took this.

http://imageshack.com/a/img843/7326/kn7p.jpg
Our dogs have to just go out in any weather. There is no choice. Sometimes they want to come back in shortly, but when it's mild outside, they may want to stay outside for an hour or so. If it's around freezing here, the dogs can choose to stay out. They are not sissies.

• #1,225
Snow is letting up, and for my area they say 15.5 inches, a record. Having lived in upstate NY, I'm used to snowfalls like this, but snow removal here is going to be a real challenge. They've made the mistake in my housing complex to not do anything until the snow stopped, cheap, but huge mistake not to keep up with it. They also have to deal with the fact that they did nothing to remove the thick layer of ice from Friday's storm although they received numerous complaints. Their answer? They e-mailed us and told us not to leave our homes, to not walk on the ice or snow, I kid you not.

That's at least 16-18 inches deep. And that is very dense snow, the snow was miniscule pellets, so it's tightly packed. Several inches higher than my chihuahua. :bugeye:

Attachments

• dog potty pit 2-14.jpg
    dog potty pit 2-14.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 468
Last edited: