Will water or lava freeze in space, or would it be a gas?

In summary, comets are chunks of rock and frozen water that come into the solar system from the Oort cloud. As they come in, the water and other chemicals in the comet start to heat up and outgas, creating a tail.
Albertgauss
Gold Member
This not only goes for water, but any hot, melted substance suddenly exposed to the near vacuum of space.

For example, suppose I have a stream of water leaking out of a space ship. Does the water freeze because space is at 50-100 K (in our solar system), or does it evaoprate because the air pressure of space is so low? Or, is it more complicated than that where some of the water will freeze on the outside of the spaceship, and some will escape through the solar system as gas?

This also applies to super-hot lava erupting on moons of Jupiter or Saturn. The lava is very hot ~1000-2000 K. The temperature of such moons is ~50-100 K. So, by this reasoning, the lava would freeze into rock. But, these moons also do not have any atmosphere, thus they have very low pressure. Low pressure makes almost the phase of everything a gas, so by the second line of logic, the lava should outgas into space.

I can't see which is which, so I ask for help here.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Water will first boil, then freeze. Boiling takes away the energy from the liquid, see, so it cools down rapidly.
Somebody posted a really well-made educational video here once, ilustrating just this process:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=658014

As for the lava, molten rock outgasses the volatile components of the flow, the rest solidifies. There might be some parts of the lava flow that will hapily exist in gaseous form, and these will escape into space cooling the rest a bit, but the bulk of the flow will just lose energy via conduction(contact with the surrounding ground) and radiation.

Depends where in space, right?

Think of comets as they come in from the Oort cloud. They're chunks of rock and frozen water. As they float in towards the Sun, the water and other chemicals begin to heat up and outgas, creating a tail.

It depends on viscosity, dissolved gasses, and things like that. Lava is very viscous so I'd expect it to usually hold together. "Room temperature" water I would expect to blow itself apart by vigorous boiling.

I've seen liquid water boil and freeze at the same time. At low pressure under a bell jar.
As someone said, the room temperature water cools itself by letting part of itself boil away, so that the rest can freeze.

1. Will water freeze in space?

Yes, water will freeze in space. The temperature in space can reach as low as -270 degrees Celsius, which is well below the freezing point of water.

2. Will lava freeze in space?

Lava, which is molten rock, will also freeze in space. The temperature in space is much lower than the melting point of rocks, which is around 1000 degrees Celsius.

3. Will water or lava freeze instantly in space?

No, neither water nor lava will freeze instantly in space. The rate of freezing depends on the temperature and pressure, which can vary in different areas of space. However, they will both eventually freeze in the extreme cold temperatures of space.

4. Will water or lava turn into gas in space?

Both water and lava will eventually turn into gas in space, but this process is slow and depends on the temperature, pressure, and other environmental factors. In the extreme cold temperatures of space, water and lava will freeze before turning into gas.

5. How does the lack of gravity in space affect the freezing process of water and lava?

The lack of gravity in space does not directly affect the freezing process of water and lava. However, the absence of gravity can affect the temperature and pressure, which can indirectly impact the rate of freezing. Additionally, the lack of gravity can also affect the shape and movement of frozen water and lava particles in space.