Register to reply

Generators of SU(2)

by LayMuon
Tags: generators
Share this thread:
LayMuon
Feb22-13, 07:51 PM
P: 147
I am confused with SU(2). How do you prove that the generators are pauli matrices (1/2 sigma)? I would appreciate any link or reference with details of all algebraic steps, taking one from the conditions of unitarity and det=1 to the well know exponential form.

In general, how do you find generators of arbitrary special unitary group?

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
strangerep
Feb22-13, 09:23 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,898
Quote Quote by LayMuon View Post
I would appreciate any link or reference with details of all algebraic steps, [...]
Ballentine, ch7, should provide at least part of what you're looking for.
andrien
Feb23-13, 02:11 AM
P: 1,020
How do you prove that the generators are pauli matrices (1/2 sigma)?
For SU(2),there will be 22-1=3 generators,which are represented by 22 matrices.By imposing the condition of unitarity and det=1,one can show that they will be pauli matrices(apart from an overall factor) like done here in a simple way
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...am6R-4szBZXBeA

LayMuon
Feb24-13, 10:16 PM
Generators of SU(2)

Thanks for replies, I also found it in Arfken.

But I still wonder, what is the SYSTEMATIC procedure of finding out the generators of arbitrary SU(N)? Do any algorithms exist?

For example I don't quite understand how to systematically obtain Gell-Mann matrices.
The_Duck
Feb24-13, 10:46 PM
P: 842
The Gell-Mann matrices are a basis for the space of traceless hermitian 3x3 matrices. For SU(N) in general, there are N^2-1 generators. If you look over the Gell-Mann matrices for SU(3) and the Pauli matrices for SU(2) you can probably generalize to come up with a systematic way to enumerate N^2-1 linearly independent traceless hermitian NxN matrixes for any N.
LayMuon
Feb24-13, 11:21 PM
How to do that?
Jim Kata
Feb24-13, 11:29 PM
P: 233
It's easy just from the definition of the lie algebra of su(n). You need x*=-x and tr(x)=0. Think of the lie algebra as a vector space and show that the pauli spin matrices span it for su(2). So they are the generators. That is to say any 2x2 matrix such that x*=-1 and tr(x)=0 can be spanned by a linear combination of Pauli matrices.
Jim Kata
Feb24-13, 11:39 PM
I think you're also getting confused between SU(2) and su(2). The Pauli matrices span the lie algebra su(2). The unitary condition on SU(2) imposes the antihermitian on su(2) x*=-x and det U= 1 imposes the tr (x)=0 condition.
LayMuon
Feb24-13, 11:43 PM
So there is no rigorous algorithm for general su(n) case?
Jim Kata
Feb25-13, 12:10 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General...28Hermitian.29 It can be shown that these span the lie algebra su(n). There are rigorous algorithms, but that is a subject unto itself. For su(n+1) it's pretty simple since the dimension of the vector space can be shown to be n(n+2) so you need that many linearly independent basis vectors to span it. So take for example su(3) you need 2(2+2)=8 linearly independent antihermitian traceless matrices to span it. So the algorithm is one that can create that many of those kind of matrices for every n.
LayMuon
Feb25-13, 12:20 AM
Awesome entry on wiki. Thanks! That sounds like what I was really looking for.
LayMuon
Feb25-13, 11:06 AM
Just one more question. How do you prove the commutation relations for generators?

I understand that one can pick up the generators given by your link and explicitly prove the commutations and then, because it should be independent of representation, state that it's the general form. But nevertheless how to prove them without reference to explicit form of the generators?

Register to reply