Tags: dentist, visit
Share this thread:
Monique
Feb23-13, 05:20 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
In the past it was mandatory to visit the dentist every 6 months, in order to be covered by health care insurance. Nowadays it's not mandatory, but dentists still hold on to that interval (they earn money by doing so, of course).

I'm wondering what the guidelines in other countries are, do you get multiple checkups in a year or only every two years or so? I just realized that I didn't go for four years (busy schedule, time flies) and went to the dentist who said my teeth and gums are in perfect condition (and she wished everyone would floss and use toothpicks). Still she recommends to come back in 6 months?
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Senegal monitors contacts of 1st Ebola patient
Snacking while watching action movies leads to overeating
Quality of US diet shows modest improvement, but overall remains poor
Ryan_m_b
Feb23-13, 05:27 AM
Mentor
P: 5,477
In the UK the recommended in 6 months. I wonder if there's anything behind that figure?
cristo
Feb23-13, 05:35 AM
Mentor
P: 8,317
My dentist recommends every 12 months.

Astronuc
Feb23-13, 05:40 AM
Admin
P: 21,887
How often to visit the dentist

In my experience, in the US, an annual checkup is customary. If someone is prone to cavities, then perhaps a more frequent visit is recommended.

Apparently, the American Dental Association recommends visiting the dentist twice per year. In one survey I found, 62.5 % of those surveyed visit the dentist once a year, where 25% visit the dentist twice a year, and 12.5% visited more than twice per year.

The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry indicates the 6 months is the most common interval for a dental visit.
http://www.aapd.org/media/Policies_G...eriodicity.pdf
russ_watters
Feb23-13, 08:20 AM
Mentor
P: 22,305
For kids it is usually 6 months. For adults, 6 or 12. I think I have unusually strong teeth because I went about 5 years between visits before going last year and had only one cavity.
leroyjenkens
Feb23-13, 09:21 AM
P: 539
I think if you properly brush your teeth and rinse your mouth out with water after you eat something, you won't really need to go to the dentist. I haven't been in like 5 years. I used to go every 6 months, but every time I go, the dentist told me how amazing my teeth were. I think I remember hearing the word "immaculate". So since I clean my teeth properly, I just have no reason to go.
lisab
Feb23-13, 09:41 AM
Mentor
P: 2,990
My own schedule: dentist checks every year, cleanings every 6 months.

Regularly getting your teeth cleaned professionally is important! A hygienist doesn't have the training a dentist has, but he/she can screen for things like broken fillings - and of course, gum disease.

I don't enjoy the time I spend getting cleanings but I do it every 6 months.

Personal observation: yes dentists will sometimes try to sell you services. Some of my friends follow every recommendation their dentist says - and, frankly they tend to have nice teeth. Some take the "Meh, he's just trying to sell me stuff again" route, and they tend to have icky mouths. I try to take the middle road.
Monique
Feb23-13, 09:55 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Yearly sounds good, I think I'll stick to that..

I've never seen a hygienist, although I hear people talking about it all the time.. I aways wonder why they need a hygienist (haven't they cleaned themselves properly?).
russ_watters
Feb23-13, 11:38 AM
Mentor
I'm a little unclear on that: in the US a hygeinist is just a dentist's nurse. You can't not see one: they are the ones who do most of the regular work!
russ_watters
Feb23-13, 11:40 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by leroyjenkens View Post
I think if you properly brush your teeth and rinse your mouth out with water after you eat something, you won't really need to go to the dentist. I haven't been in like 5 years. I used to go every 6 months, but every time I go, the dentist told me how amazing my teeth were. I think I remember hearing the word "immaculate". So since I clean my teeth properly, I just have no reason to go.
Even though i've done it, I wouldn't recommend it. It is tough to find problems on your own, so it is a good idea to let a pro have a look every now and then.
turbo
Feb23-13, 12:23 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
I haven't been to dentist in 10 years (at least). I floss regularly, brush whenever my teeth even a bit "filmy", and I don't drink sodas or eat sweets. I have a fondness for cheese (home-made versions of pizza and macaroni-and-cheese), but I brush promptly after such meals. So far, so good.

Phosphoric acid and sugar in combination (soda, anyone?) are keeping dentists busy, IMO.
Lisa!
Feb23-13, 01:34 PM
PF Gold
P: 973
Every year!
My dentis's told me to remove all my wisdom teeth otherwise he won't fill my cavities since it won't be effective that much. Do you think he's right?
Monique
Feb23-13, 03:54 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
I'm a little unclear on that: in the US a hygeinist is just a dentist's nurse. You can't not see one: they are the ones who do most of the regular work!
What work? I can't remember my last cavity, it was before receiving dental braces about 20 years ago. The dentist filled it, the nurse is in charge of the suction device. Same for wisdom teeth extraction. About 10 years ago the dentist removed some tartar behind a permanent brace wire, that was before realizing the importance of floss.
russ_watters
Feb23-13, 04:37 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Monique View Post
What work?
Cleaning (regardless of if you do a good job yourself, they always give you a cleaning), initial check to see if you have cavities, x-rays if you need them, fluoride treatment if you need it. Typically my check-ups are half an hour with the hygienist and 5 min with a dentist.
Evo
Feb23-13, 05:38 PM
Mentor
P: 26,557
It depends on the health of your gums and condition of teeth.

My ex-husband always had issues with his gums, so went every six months for cleanings. I have the worlds heathiest gums, but the worst luck when it comes to biting into objects that shouldn't be there like bones in lunch meat and pits in pitted olives. So I go twice a year for chipped teeth.
etudiant
Feb23-13, 08:53 PM
PF Gold
P: 866
Quote Quote by Lisa! View Post
Every year!
My dentis's told me to remove all my wisdom teeth otherwise he won't fill my cavities since it won't be effective that much. Do you think he's right?
It is always better to be slow to remove teeth, because they support each other. When one goes, the others shift unpredictably, left or right, forward or back. That may be no problem for the dentist, who will happily build a retainer for you, but it may not be your expectation.
Evo
Feb23-13, 10:45 PM
Mentor
P: 26,557
Quote Quote by Lisa! View Post
My dentist told me to remove all my wisdom teeth otherwise he won't fill my cavities since it won't be effective that much. Do you think he's right?
The cavities are in your wisdom teeth? Unless your wisdom teeth are causing serious problems, pain, impacted, there is absolutely no reason to remove them and not filling the cavities means the cavities may eventually cause problems such as the teeth breaking, infections, abscesses, etc...

Get another dentist.
Monique
Feb24-13, 02:36 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
Cleaning (regardless of if you do a good job yourself, they always give you a cleaning), initial check to see if you have cavities, x-rays if you need them, fluoride treatment if you need it. Typically my check-ups are half an hour with the hygienist and 5 min with a dentist.
Ok, I guess here it goes the other way around: the dentist searches for cavities, makes x-rays and does a polishing if necessary and refers some to a hygienist.

Lisa!, the wisdom teeth are prone to cavities because they are far back in the mouth and are thus harder to brush/clean. That's why dentists like to remove them before problems begin.

Register to reply