What truly drives you? Is it wealth, power, or something else?

• Thread starter denverdoc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boat
In summary, an assumption that arises periodically and many times recently across a number of threads is that we are all driven by motives such as wealth or power. However, this assumption is not always true for everyone, as some people are content with making a modest income. This individual found that working a few days a week was more satisfying than making a lot of money.
It depends on what one means as accomplishment--certainly one tends to have a lot more stamina in their 20's, but people for various reasons are not always aware of their passion or too immature to follow a path. I like the idea of those who may work in one field for the first 20 years and change careers. Or go back to school, do some missionary work, climb everest, or sail a boat around the world.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Of course my main function during races was to sit on the front of the boat in my orange bathing suit and distract the other sailors. :grumpy:

To be a sailor on another boat...

Unless of course she was in a bad mood and armed with a harpoon?

Evo said:
I much prefer sailing to "driving" a motorboat. I'm not saying I don't enjoy driving motorboats, because I do, but the thrill of sailing is not there. Night sailing is the scariest and most exhilarating. The pull of the tides alone requires a lot of effort, I only went out with seasoned sailors.
My cousin's husband had an olympic-class Tempest, and EVERYTHING was adjustable, some on the fly and some took some foresight. Crewing with him was an adventure each and every time, since he loved skating the hairy edge to see what that boat could do. We outran lots of boats with IC engines, but we also had to run with the wind or tack against it, giving the "stinkpots" the advantage. I wouldn't mind crewing on the adrenaline-pumped "lobster boats" that win races here, but you can't downplay the pull off a well-rigged light sailer - it's compelling. I used to own a little lateen-rigged sailboat that would pound the tar out of the AMF boats - steer close to the winds, mind the timing of the waves, and ease on ahead.

Dr Transport said:
To be a sailor on another boat...

at a safe distance. :biggrin:

turbo-1 said:
My cousin's husband had an olympic-class Tempest, and EVERYTHING was adjustable, some on the fly and some took some foresight. Crewing with him was an adventure each and every time, since he loved skating the hairy edge to see what that boat could do. We outran lots of boats with IC engines, but we also had to run with the wind or tack against it, giving the "stinkpots" the advantage. I wouldn't mind crewing on the adrenaline-pumped "lobster boats" that win races here, but you can't downplay the pull off a well-rigged light sailer - it's compelling. I used to own a little lateen-rigged sailboat that would pound the tar out of the AMF boats - steer close to the winds, mind the timing of the waves, and ease on ahead.
Turbo you amaze me! Is there anything you have not done?

Astronuc said:
at a safe distance. :biggrin:

Any look is a good look...

larkspur said:
Yes. I have not sky dived, nor have I participated in organized races with vehicles, (although I have competed in some competitions that were not sanctioned). There is a LOT of stuff that I have not tried, but at 55 years of age (in a couple of weeks) I think that I have tackled a lot. I really loved white-water kayaking in heavy white-water and I ran in milder releases to perfect my rescue techniques.

My most fun week was to act the part of a poacher in the final field exercises of a year's worth of Maine game wardens. I acted as a poacher for all the time I was there and the warden trainees had to not only catch me, but they had to catch me with enough evidence to convict me in their "court". I never got nailed in that whole time. I had a sawed-off double-barreled shotgun and a pocket-full of 12-gauge blanks, and the run of the island.

Last edited:
larkspur said:
BTW, when I graduated HS, it was with the Silver V Award for the student that participated in the most activities. Things have not changed.

Sure sure sure, but were you at Woodstock?

Back