How often to visit the dentist

by Monique
Tags: dentist, visit
Share this thread:
Lisa!
Feb25-13, 02:06 AM
PF Gold
P: 973
Thanks guys! I really appreciate your insights.
I asked another dentist and he told me it's essential to remove hidden wisdom teeth.

Poor me

Quote Quote by etudiant View Post
It is always better to be slow to remove teeth, because they support each other. When one goes, the others shift unpredictably, left or right, forward or back. That may be no problem for the dentist, who will happily build a retainer for you, but it may not be your expectation.
Yeah but I don't think wisdom teeth support any other tooth!

Quote Quote by Evo
The cavities are in your wisdom teeth? Unless your wisdom teeth are causing serious problems, pain, impacted, there is absolutely no reason to remove them and not filling the cavities means the cavities may eventually cause problems such as the teeth breaking, infections, abscesses, etc...

Get another dentist.
No, they're not! They're hidden in fact but he says that they cause problems for other teeth and it's better to remove them 1st and then fill the cavities.
He's the best in my city.

Quote Quote by Monique
Lisa!, the wisdom teeth are prone to cavities because they are far back in the mouth and are thus harder to brush/clean. That's why dentists like to remove them before problems begin.
Yeah,you're right. You know my dentist says that they damage their adjacent teeth.
Monique
Feb25-13, 04:47 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
Check this resource: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/wis...emoval/AN01961
They do recommend removing unerupted wisdom teeth when they are expected to damage other teeth.
Lisa!
Feb25-13, 10:15 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Monique View Post
Check this resource: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/wis...emoval/AN01961
They do recommend removing unerupted wisdom teeth when they are expected to damage other teeth.
Thanks!:)
I'll visit my dentist as soon as possible to remove them.
Johninch
Feb25-13, 12:06 PM
P: 96
I clean my teeth thoroughly twice a day with fluoride toothpaste. A few years ago I noticed that the hygienist was removing a lot of plaque from inside the front top and bottom teeth, which I had been neglecting, so I always pay special attention to those areas now.

In Switzerland dentists invite their patients to return every 6 months, even when there are no problems. I donít see the sense of this. Itís like taking your car in for servicing every 6 months. The cost can be unexpectedly high and the dentist is a perfectionist. I say, donít fix it if it ainít broke!

Dental costs in Switzerland are very high and only a few people have dental insurance. They go every six months, of course.

Evo
Feb25-13, 12:32 PM
Mentor
P: 26,522
Quote Quote by Lisa! View Post
Thanks!:)
I'll visit my dentist as soon as possible to remove them.
Get a second opinion lisa.

Wisdom Teeth Removal Often Unnecessary

Wisdom Tooth Removal: Surgery, Not a Rite of Passage

How controversial is it to remove wisdom teeth that aren't currently causing problems? Two dentists who spoke with WebMD agree that there's no reason to remove perfectly healthy wisdom teeth. Both agree that troublesome wisdom teeth should be removed. And both say that there has to be a medical reason to perform such a serious surgery.
http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/new...en-unnecessary
Lisa!
Feb26-13, 11:36 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Okey, thanks!
Greg Bernhardt
Feb26-13, 11:46 AM
Admin
P: 9,469
I have a family history of weak teeth, so to save on cavity bills I go once every 4 months for a cleaning.

Register to reply