Register to reply

Why is Schrodinger's Cat entangled? Or is it not?

Share this thread:
QuantumPixel
Feb27-13, 07:04 PM
P: 7
Why is Schrodinger's Cat entangled? Or is it not? I recently saw a poster on deviantart that said this: http://browse.deviantart.com/art/WAN...-Cat-130508078
It said it was in a superposition, that i get, but the entanglement? That i don't get.

-QuantumPixel
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
Dundeephysics
Feb27-13, 07:41 PM
P: 25
since you understand the first part then the rest will be easy to understand hopefully. The fact that the state of the cat (dead or alive) is unknown before opening the box makes its state a superposition of both. When the box is opened by the observer, the observer becomes entangled with the cat and this forms an observer state corresponding to the cat being dead or alive, and hence the observer state is entangled with that of the cat.
bhobba
Feb27-13, 10:58 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,497
Well actually in the Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment long before the box is opened decoherence has occurred transforming the pure state into an improper mixed state. Observationally there is no way to tell an improper mixed state from an actual one so its perfectly OK to assume it was in the observed state prior to observation - hey presto - issue resolved.

Thanks
Bill

QuantumPixel
Feb28-13, 12:29 AM
P: 7
Why is Schrodinger's Cat entangled? Or is it not?

Quote Quote by Dundeephysics View Post
since you understand the first part then the rest will be easy to understand hopefully. The fact that the state of the cat (dead or alive) is unknown before opening the box makes its state a superposition of both. When the box is opened by the observer, the observer becomes entangled with the cat and this forms an observer state corresponding to the cat being dead or alive, and hence the observer state is entangled with that of the cat.
Now i understand. Thanks for your time and contribution.

-QuantumPixel

Register to reply