Isn't Schrodinger's cat doomed anyways?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Schrodinger cat thought experiment and the preservation of quantum entangled states. The first question raises the idea that as time goes to infinity, the cat must be dead, whether the box is opened or not, due to the probabilistic nature of the unstable radioactive source. The second question posits that quantum entanglement cannot be preserved indefinitely, as the wave function of entangled particles will eventually collapse to a steady state with time. The conversation also touches on the concept of superposition and the limitations of early understandings of quantum mechanics.
Bharath Siva
I am not a physicist, just a mere electrical engineer (who has off late developed an interest in quantum mechanics). I have a few questions about the Schrodinger cat thought experiment and about whether quantum entangled states can be preserved indefinitely forever, at least theoretically.Please excuse my questions if they sound ridiculous.

My questions are as follows:
1. With regard to Schrodinger's original thought experiment with the cat, isn't true that as time goes to infinity, the cat HAS to be dead, whether the box is opened or not? There is a probabilistic reason for this, as time goes to infinity, the unstable radioactive source has to have emitted the particle with probability 1 and so the cat HAS to have died. So if we do not open the box at all for an infinite time, the cat HAS to be dead with probability 1 and so this leads me to believe that with time, the quantum state (i.e. the wave function) of the cat evolves to the dead state and so the cat somehow gets into an untangled state of DEAD. Is this reasoning correct? Or am I missing something?
2. The previous question leads me to believe that in general, quantum entanglement cannot be preserved for an indefinitely long time, even theoretically. At some point, the wave function of entangled particles HAS to collapse to 1 steady state with time. Is this reasoning also correct or am I again missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bharath Siva said:
1. With regard to Schrodinger's original thought experiment with the cat, isn't true that as time goes to infinity, the cat HAS to be dead, whether the box is opened or not? There is a probabilistic reason for this, as time goes to infinity, the unstable radioactive source has to have emitted the particle with probability 1 and so the cat HAS to have died. So if we do not open the box at all for an infinite time, the cat HAS to be dead with probability 1 and so this leads me to believe that with time, the quantum state (i.e. the wave function) of the cat evolves to the dead state and so the cat somehow gets into an untangled state of DEAD. Is this reasoning correct? Or am I missing something?

Welcome to PF!

"whether the box is opened or not?"
There is 0.5 probability, if we 'assume' macroscopic objects and the environment they interact with are in a superposition, of the cat being alive at least at some point before infinity, if a measurement is made.

StevieTNZ said:
Welcome to PF!

"whether the box is opened or not?"
There is 0.5 probability, if we 'assume' macroscopic objects and the environment they interact with are in a superposition, of the cat being alive at least at some point before infinity, if a measurement is made.
I don't disagree with what you say. However, with time, isn't it true that the probability that the cat is in state DEAD seems to increase? What I am trying to say is that, even if I don't open the box, I know that the probability that the cat is in the DEAD state keeps increasing with time, because the probability that the radioactive source will emit a particle keeps increasing with time? Since the cat's fate is ultimately tied to that of the source, isn't there an intrinsic evolution of the cat's state towards the dead state even if we don't make a measurement?

Bharath Siva said:
I don't disagree with what you say. However, with time, isn't it true that the probability that the cat is in state DEAD seems to increase? What I am trying to say is that, even if I don't open the box, I know that the probability that the cat is in the DEAD state keeps increasing with time, because the probability that the radioactive source will emit a particle keeps increasing with time? Since the cat's fate is ultimately tied to that of the source, isn't there an intrinsic evolution of the cat's state towards the dead state even if we don't make a measurement?
I am unsure whether over time there would be more likelihood of the radioactive source to emit a particle, but this may be correct - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioactive_decay
The chance that a given atom will decay never changes, that is, it does not matter how long the atom has existed.

Bharath Siva said:
You're doing fine, that's pretty much how it works. The longer the cat is in the box the more likely it is that the decay will occur and the more likely it is that the cat will die. That's true whether we open the box and look or not. There's nothing especially surprising about this, and you don't need quantum mechanics to explain it.
(That's actually the point of Schrodinger's thought experiment. He wasn't seriously suggesting that the cat might be in a dead/alive superposition until someone looked, he was identifying a problem in the 1920s-vintage understanding of QM, namely that the theory as it was then understood said the we'd have to open the box to eliminate that superposition).
2. The previous question leads me to believe that in general, quantum entanglement cannot be preserved for an indefinitely long time, even theoretically. At some point, the wave function of entangled particles HAS to collapse to 1 steady state with time. Is this reasoning also correct or am I again missing something?
Not "in general", as it depends on the system. The two electrons in the ground state of a helium atom can maintain their entangled state pretty much for the lifetime of the universe. On the order hand, a macroscopic object like a cat composed of maybe 1026 particles will evolve into either a live state or a dead state in an infinitesimal fraction of a second.

If you get a chance, try David Lindley's book "Where does the weirdness go?". It's a layman-friendly summary of the advances since Schrodinger posed his thought experiment 85 years ago.

Likes bhobba
Nugatory said:
You're doing fine, that's pretty much how it works. The longer the cat is in the box the more likely it is that the decay will occur and the more likely it is that the cat will die. That's true whether we open the box and look or not. There's nothing especially surprising about this, and you don't need quantum mechanics to explain it.
(That's actually the point of Schrodinger's thought experiment. He wasn't seriously suggesting that the cat might be in a dead/alive superposition until someone looked, he was identifying a problem in the 1920s-vintage understanding of QM, namely that the theory as it was then understood said the we'd have to open the box to eliminate that superposition).

Not "in general", as it depends on the system. The two electrons in the ground state of a helium atom can maintain their entangled state pretty much for the lifetime of the universe. On the order hand, a macroscopic object like a cat composed of maybe 1026 particles will evolve into either a live state or a dead state in an infinitesimal fraction of a second.

If you get a chance, try David Lindley's book "Where does the weirdness go?". It's a layman-friendly summary of the advances since Schrodinger posed his thought experiment 85 years ago.

Thanks for this information. It has clarified my doubt.

1. What is Schrodinger's cat thought experiment?

Schrodinger's cat is a thought experiment in quantum mechanics proposed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1935. It illustrates the concept of superposition, where a quantum system can exist in multiple states at the same time.

2. How does Schrodinger's cat experiment work?

In the experiment, a cat is placed in a sealed box with a radioactive substance, a Geiger counter, and a small amount of poison. If the radioactive substance decays, it triggers the Geiger counter which releases the poison, killing the cat. However, according to quantum mechanics, until the box is opened and observed, the cat exists in a superposition of both alive and dead states.

3. Why is Schrodinger's cat experiment important?

The experiment highlights the paradoxical nature of quantum mechanics and challenges our understanding of reality. It also raises important questions about the role of observation and measurement in determining the state of a quantum system.

4. What does it mean for the cat to be both alive and dead at the same time?

In quantum mechanics, a system can exist in multiple states at once until it is measured or observed. This concept, known as superposition, is what allows the cat to be both alive and dead simultaneously until the box is opened and its state is determined.

5. Is Schrodinger's cat experiment possible in real life?

No, the experiment is purely a thought experiment and cannot be replicated in real life. While quantum systems can exist in superposition, this does not apply to macroscopic objects like cats. The experiment serves as a way to illustrate the strange and counterintuitive aspects of quantum mechanics.