Share this thread:
PhysicsGente
Feb27-13, 12:26 PM
P: 86
I have my fingers crossed!
mathskier
Feb27-13, 01:22 PM
P: 30
Anyone know how to predict chances? For instance, I come from a mid-sized school, have one semester of research experience, and very high grades, but I'm a sophomore and not a girl/ minority.
Stengah
Feb27-13, 01:48 PM
P: 235
Quote Quote by mathskier View Post
Anyone know how to predict chances? For instance, I come from a mid-sized school, have one semester of research experience, and very high grades, but I'm a sophomore and not a girl/ minority.
What I have heard from talking to REU directors and other people is that your personal statement and letters of recommendation carry a majority of the weight. Of course this will vary from program to program, but there are just too many applicants with good grades. So hopefully your semester of research transferred to a good recommendation letter. If you read the rest of this thread, you should have seen some acceptance statistics. The acceptance rates for these is incredibly low. Some put a ton of weight on minority status and the type of university you attend, and other programs seem to care more just about merit. So it's pretty difficult to predict chances.
Null_
Feb27-13, 03:04 PM
P: 232
I applied to several programs this year. One program said they will notify students by March 1st. I'm going backpacking on March 1st and will be away from email and phone for 11 days. Should I send them an email tomorrow explaining this? I'm worried that they might only give a week or so to make a decision. That is if I get in... Or should I set up an auto-response email? I'm hesitant to do this though because I get many emails that are sent to large groups of people, and the sender doesn't need to get a reply from me for every email..
Stengah
Feb27-13, 05:58 PM
P: 235
Quote Quote by Null_ View Post
I applied to several programs this year. One program said they will notify students by March 1st. I'm going backpacking on March 1st and will be away from email and phone for 11 days. Should I send them an email tomorrow explaining this? I'm worried that they might only give a week or so to make a decision. That is if I get in... Or should I set up an auto-response email? I'm hesitant to do this though because I get many emails that are sent to large groups of people, and the sender doesn't need to get a reply from me for every email..
That's a terrible situation and I would definitely send them an email explaining it.
mege
Feb27-13, 08:35 PM
P: 193
Quote Quote by Null_ View Post
Auto-response emails are generally sent only once per-person (presuming you have a 'normal' email provider/client). You could also ask someone to check your email for you.

Think about it this way: if you get an acceptance, and can't respond in 5 days, you're delaying the possible acceptance of someone else. So, why would you even want to delay the entire process because you're unavailable?
notphysicsguy
Feb27-13, 09:06 PM
P: 2
Does anyone have any experience at the William and Mary Matrix Analysis REU? Also, the SMALL program at Williams is done with applications. I was shortlisted for Ergodic theory but apparently most people took the offer =/
ofb
Feb27-13, 09:53 PM
P: 3
FYI I applied to [math REUs at Emory, Duluth, SMALL, SUNY Potsdam, Cornell, Iowa State, LSU, Mt. Holyoke, Penn State, Texas A&M], and [Vic Reiner's REU at Minnesota], and got responses from four: rejections from Emory, Duluth, and SMALL, acceptance from LSU. I accepted the offer from LSU since out of the REUs I hadn't been rejected from, the topics at the LSU REU interested me most (I want to do something related to Galois theory). Remaining applications have been retracted. I am a sophomore at a mid-sized research university.

Also, with regards to giving gifts to letter writers, after poking around some more I have come to the conclusion that gifts are frowned upon as a sort of bribe but a handwritten letter is much appreciated.

Good luck to everyone.
mathskier
Feb27-13, 11:38 PM
P: 30
If they say they will notify by March 1st I take that to mean you will hear today (the 28th) so I say just wait until this evening and email them asking if you hear nothing.
dustbin
Feb28-13, 11:52 AM
P: 239
Declined by U Minnesota this morning.
usnavi13
Feb28-13, 12:08 PM
P: 20
Rejected from SMALL (probability/number theory project) yesterday.
mathstudent99
Feb28-13, 05:57 PM
P: 5
Freshmen at a top 5 university. I'm majoring in math and had taken a bunch of math classes (2 semesters of analysis and algebra and 1 semester of differential geometry) in high school at a large research university.
Rejected from Emory 2/4.
Rejected (shortlisted) from Duluth 2/9.
Accepted at Berkeley Geometry, Topology, and Operator Algebras RTG Summer Research Program for the Symplectic Embeddings group 2/26.
Rejected (shortlisted) from SMALL Ergodic theory group 2/27.
Rejected from Minnesota Twin Cities 2/28.
Still waiting on Cornell, Cal State San Bernadino, U Michigan, and U Washington, and RIPS Hong Kong (not actually an REU but close enough).
MechE2015
Mar1-13, 02:13 AM
P: 20
Is anyone here applying for engineering (specifically materials/mechanical) REU programs? If so, any news thus far? I've applied to about 12 universities and haven't heard anything yet, getting anxious.
Lavabug
Mar1-13, 08:33 AM
P: 881
I was just notified that I am on the waitlist for National Radio Astronomy Observatory's Student Summer research program (not really an REU, as it's meant for graduating seniors/graduates). To any selected candidate that isn't going, please let them know within 2 weeks!
burgandyduck
Mar1-13, 02:18 PM
P: 2
Has anyone heard anything from Columbia/Nevis Labs? Heard they may be sending acceptance e-mails today.
PhysicsGente
Mar1-13, 03:04 PM
P: 86
Quote Quote by burgandyduck View Post
Has anyone heard anything from Columbia/Nevis Labs? Heard they may be sending acceptance e-mails today.
I also heard they were looking at applications today. Seems like I didn't get in ;(.
Rampant Lion
Mar1-13, 05:31 PM
P: 5
I have heard back from Old Dominion and Rutgers physics thus far. Will be disappointed if Columbia/Nevis made offers today as they were a top choice for me.
arubirurei
Mar1-13, 08:05 PM
P: 6
I was accepted to both Oregon State and Willamette's WiVaM in the past week, but now I don't know which is better. They're about 20 minutes away from each other and the stipend's nearly exactly the same. Oregon State seems to have a decent reputation? Anyone know where Willamette's REU stands?

Also, got rejected from SMALL after royally messing up on the phone portion. Good to get that off my chest :/

Register to reply