What would you do -- summer REU?

In summary: If you can get letters from scientists who are in the field of your choice, then it would be more advantageous to have them.
j_jeff
So I applied to a few places for a summer REU internship for physics research. I got made an offer from Brown University and Notre Dame and am trying to decide between the two. Brown offers me research in marine geophysics/topology sort of stuff and a $3700 stipend. Notre dame offers me to choose the discipline (condensed matter, particle, Astro, etc) and I get a 5100 stipend. Both fund round trip expenses and offer housing. Obviously Brown is a bit more prestigious and I would pick it immediately but geophysics is not at all what I plan on studying, so I'm stuck. What would you choose?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the prestige of Brown will matter since it has nothing to do with the field you plan on pursing in graduate school. I think go with the research that would be more exciting, hands on, and intellectually stimulating. The extra $1400 at Notre Dame certainly helps too. What year are you in?

lessconfused said:
I don't think the prestige of Brown will matter since it has nothing to do with the field you plan on pursing in graduate school. I think go with the research that would be more exciting, hands on, and intellectually stimulating. The extra $1400 at Notre Dame certainly helps too. What year are you in?
I'm currently a junior, so this would be my last opportunity for a summer internship

lessconfused said:

You want to do research with someone who can write a most relevant letter of recommendation for your grad school application.

It's not so much the institutional prestige, it is the field and reputation of the specific scientist writing your letters of recommendation.

1. What is a summer REU program?

A summer REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is a competitive program that offers undergraduate students the opportunity to participate in hands-on research activities in various fields of science, engineering, and mathematics at universities and research institutions across the country.

2. How do I apply for a summer REU program?

Most summer REU programs have their own application process, which typically involves submitting an application form, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a statement of interest. Some programs also require a research proposal or a personal essay. It is important to carefully review the application requirements and deadlines for each program.

3. What are the benefits of participating in a summer REU program?

Participating in a summer REU program can provide valuable research experience, enhance your resume, and help you develop important skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication. It also allows you to network with other students and professionals in your field and potentially earn a stipend or academic credit.

4. Can international students apply for summer REU programs?

Yes, international students are eligible to apply for summer REU programs. However, it is important to note that some programs may have restrictions or limitations for international participants, such as requiring a valid visa or English proficiency. It is best to check with each program for their specific requirements.

5. Are summer REU programs only for students majoring in STEM fields?

No, summer REU programs are not limited to students majoring in STEM fields. Some programs may have specific requirements for certain majors or areas of study, but there are also programs that are open to students from a variety of academic backgrounds. It is important to research and find programs that align with your interests and goals.