Interested in Applied Math/biomath REU's, need some help if possible

• Schools
  • Thread starter bonbena
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Applied
In summary, the speaker is a 4th year junior interested in pursuing a graduate degree in mathematical biology and wants to do an REU this summer. Their GPA dropped significantly due to illness in their second year, but they are currently on the mend and expect their GPA to be around 3.2-3.3 when REU applications are due. They have limited coursework in math but have completed coding classes and some math courses. They are looking for recommendations for applied math or biomathematical REUs that they could realistically apply for.
bonbena
I am a 4th year junior studying applied statistics and am highly interested in pursuing a graduate degree in mathematical biology, and would like to do an reu this coming summer.

The problem is, I got severely sick my second year of college and my gpa as a result dipped significantly from the pretty good position I was in freshman year. I think it would also be worth mentioning that I did research at my home institute the summer after my first year with a fellowship.

I am slowly on the mend currently and will probably be back to normal by next spring, but by the time reu apps are out my gpa following this fall will probably fall somewhere in the 3.2-3.3 range. My coursework in math is limited since I've just been trying to get general classes done, so I am taking a significant amount in the spring but currently have only finished coding classes and maths such as diff eq, lin alg, multivar calc, and discrete.

I was wondering if there are any applied math or biomathematical reus which would be somewhat realistic for me to apply for, based on your own personal experiences/knowledge. I believe my recs will be good and will work hard on the personal statements. Thank you so much in advance! hopefully this can be helpful to people in similar situations

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've known students with GPAs in that range to get REUs, but their recommendations based on research were stellar.

Likes bonbena

1. What is an REU program?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is a research opportunity for undergraduate students to work on a project in their field of interest under the guidance of a faculty mentor. These programs are typically funded by the National Science Foundation and are designed to provide hands-on research experience to students.

2. What is the difference between Applied Math and Biomath?

Applied Math is a broad field that uses mathematical methods and models to solve real-world problems in areas such as engineering, physics, and economics. Biomath, on the other hand, is a subfield of applied math that focuses specifically on using mathematical tools to study biological systems and processes.

3. How can I find REU programs in Applied Math or Biomath?

There are several ways to find REU programs in these fields. You can search online for REU directories or databases, check with your university's math or biology department, or reach out to professors who specialize in these areas for recommendations.

4. What are the benefits of participating in an REU program?

Participating in an REU program can provide valuable research experience, enhance your skills and knowledge in your field of interest, and help you build professional connections with faculty mentors and fellow students. It can also make you a more competitive candidate for graduate school or future job opportunities.

5. Are there any eligibility requirements for REU programs?

Each REU program may have its own specific eligibility requirements, but in general, you must be an undergraduate student who is enrolled in a degree program in a related field. Some programs may also have GPA and course prerequisites. It is important to carefully review the requirements for each program before applying.