DVD player remote=PC remote, possible?

• Thread starter e.m.i.l.y.110100
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of using a Zenith portable DVD player remote control as a PC remote. The speaker suggested using an IR receiver for the computer and writing a program to relate the signal from the receiver to actions on the PC. It was noted that this would require programming skills and was not a simple hardware replacement.
e.m.i.l.y.110100
I have a Zenith portbale dvd player remote control that is really cool looking and I was wondering if there was a way to redirect it to my computer instead. Is there any way to replace parts of it with that of a PC remote or-better yet- anything that could be changed without also having the PC remote? Especially- is this a matter of
a. hardware
b. reprogramming
c. other
d. not really possible
Thanks for any suggestions. :smile:

Computer science news on Phys.org
So you want to use you dvd remote as a PC remote? Sure you can do that. What you'll need is an IR receiver for you computer. I'm sure you could find a USB or Serial receiver pretty easily. Just do a search on Froogle(froogle.com). Then what you'll need to do is write a program that relates the signal received by the reciever and the action you want to perform on the pc. This is more of a programming project then anything else.

It is possible to use a DVD player remote as a PC remote, but it would require some technical knowledge and modifications. It would likely involve a combination of hardware and reprogramming. You would need to research and potentially purchase additional hardware and software to make this conversion possible. It may not be a simple process and could potentially damage your remote or computer if not done correctly. It may be best to just invest in a dedicated PC remote for ease and compatibility.

1. Can a DVD player remote be used as a PC remote?

Yes, it is possible for a DVD player remote to be used as a PC remote. However, this depends on the functionality of the remote and the compatibility with the computer's operating system.

2. Do I need any additional software to use a DVD player remote as a PC remote?

In most cases, yes. Some DVD player remotes may have built-in functionality to control a computer, but for the majority of cases, you will need to download and install additional software to make the remote work with your PC.

3. What are the benefits of using a DVD player remote as a PC remote?

One of the main benefits is convenience. Instead of having multiple remotes for different devices, you can use one remote to control both your DVD player and your PC. Additionally, some DVD player remotes may have more buttons and features than a standard PC remote, allowing for more control options.

4. Is there a specific type of DVD player remote that is best for use as a PC remote?

There is no specific type of DVD player remote that is universally considered the best for use as a PC remote. It ultimately depends on personal preference and the compatibility with your computer.

5. Are there any limitations to using a DVD player remote as a PC remote?

There may be limitations, such as limited functionality or compatibility with certain programs or operating systems. It is important to research and ensure that the DVD player remote you are using is compatible with your computer before attempting to use it as a PC remote.